1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Midterms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jul 16, 2010.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which supports the idea that the stimulus worked. Nothing from the stimulus is really in effect right now. When the parts of the stimulus that directly affected things like employment we did better. Now that it's been spent we have the unemployment going up again.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't make the claim, the Fed Chairman did.

The reason it's ticking up is because the effect of the stimulus is winding down. It was the finger in the damn so to speak. Now that the finger is being unplugged, naturally the water is going to start spewing. Also, you can't use one day to claim a trend.

Well, you can, but it shows a poor understanding of the subject matter at hand.

The Fed has realized there will be no more stimulus, and that's why it's buy bonds at a record rate to try to inject liquidity and encourage borrowing.

3. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

But since Obama set up his website in a way that could not check the donor name with the credit card, presumably it would be possible for several "donors" to use the same credit card in contravention of limits. I know I donated $5 to the Obama campaign with a bogus name and address. I tried to do likewise with McCain, but their credit card processor rejected me.

Besides Obama in 2008, let's recall John Huang from the Clinton era.

Do Democrats really want to go down this silly path?

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes. I think no matter what party is getting huge sums from one group, person, or another should have to disclose that. It's better for democracy.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

from The Atlantic:

[rquoter]
    Are Conservatives Celebrating the Elections With p*rn?

A peculiar evolutionary response occurs after competitors engage in a struggle. According to a new study in Evolution and Human Behavior, the winners experience an increase in testosterone levels, which in turn creates a strong urge to spread one's seed. Losers, on the other hand, experience a decrease in testosterone levels, diminishing their sexual appetite.

What does this mean for victorious Republicans during this week's elections? Marina Adshade at Big Think extrapolates from the study:

<blockquote><i>
    Evolutionarily, in response to winning a competition testosterone increases in a way that encourages reproductive behaviour, including wanting a variety of sexual partners. Not everyone can run around inseminating all the maidens in the village though, and in this modern era viewing online p*rnography is one way that this impulse can express itself... This isn’t just true for the participants in competitions, but for spectators as well.

..So if elections leave some voters feeling victorious, then we would expect to see this behavior dominate in regions where the majority were rooting for the winning side. According to this research, that is exactly what we have seen in the past three major elections in the U.S. In the week following the 2004 U.S. presidential election, Google searches for p*rnography increased above the average for the year in red states and fell in blue states. After the midterm elections in 2006, when the Democrats took control of the House of Representatives and the Senate, Google search terms for p*rn increased in blue states—and fell (rather dramatically) in red states. And in the week following the 2008 presidential election, p*rn searches were up again in the blue states and down again in the red states.
    </i></blockquote>
    [/rquoter]

6. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

I'll be celebrating by playing some table top sports games this weekend cause that's how da Whopper rolls.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

wow, you don't hold back at all do ya?

just make sure to wash those balls before playing with them and getting them all wet. wouldn't want to drink up all that dirt after all.

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i certainly am.

9. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Did somebody say something about washing balls?!

[​IMG]

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The difference in the two parties and the way they work or attempt to work is very striking.

When the Democrats won in 2008 they immediately reached out to the GOP, took impeachment off the table, began incorporating GOP ideas into their policies and legislation, and made efforts to work in a bi-partisan manner.

Now that the GOP has won big in the midterms once again it is the Dems who are reaching out.

Obama has invited leaders from both parties to the white house to discuss policies for the future. Again the president is seeking input from both parties.

The GOP however, has already stated their number one priority is ensuring Obama has only one term. They mentioned nothing about caring about the unemployed or economy first.

And now this is from an article in the CSN.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...s-inviting-Boehner-and-friends-to-White-House

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Let them overreach.

It will be a Democratic landslide in two years.

12. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

Anyone know where this pic was taken? That street looks very familiar :confused:

13. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Supposedly somwhere in Katy...

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yup - and there's a lesson there - nice guys finish last for a reason. The Republicans came in with one mission - to regain the majority at any cost.

If the Dems play that game, we will have a do nothing gov't forever.

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

she caught the Katy, left me a tool and a ride.

16. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

Huh? I use dice or random numbers sheets generated by Excel.

Link

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

what table top sports games are you talking about????

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

That should tell everyone all they need to know about whether they represent the country's best interests or their own.

19. da Whopper

da Whopper Member

I own a few different ones, but the ones I may play this weekend are DICE Hockey (1962-63) and DICE Football (1975 Oilers) . I may also give DICE Basketball a whirl with the 93-94 Rockets.

I was thinking of buying a game that with some modifications that would allow me to play some games from one of Luis Scola's Euroleague seasons.

I also own APBA Baseball and Strat-o-matic Baseball but rarely play them.

I guess some would think it's a silly hobby, but it mostly keeps me out of trouble

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no problem with that. Except that when my team loses I am usually more interested in sex to take my mind off of losing.

Lets just say this Rockets' season I've been feeling particularly randy. ;)