1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Midlife Crisis??????

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Apr 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Anyone ever had one? I think I'm going through one right now.

Can't stop thinking about mistakes I've made in the last 25 years, especially poor decisions that I've made that continue to haunt me to this day.

My personal life is better than it's ever been....I just wish my professional life matched it.

No love with the day job or with music right now, and I think that's a first for me.

Maybe I just needs somebody to whack me on the head with a 2' X 4'.

:(

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Buck up my man!

It's just the Monday blues

Although I am waiting for the mid life crisis to hit.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Maybe it's the no smoking. ;)

4. RocketMan Tex

I really really hope you are right.

5. RocketMan Tex

Nah, although I have really craved a cigarette this morning.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That should be something you use to make yourself feel better. Stronger man than I. :)

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

sorry about your crisis, how 'bout a swift kick in the nads? i've been without cigs for five weeks now. i'd gladly kick anyone in the nads about now. please, please, can i kick you in the nads?

8. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Peter: So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.

Dr. Swanson: What about today? Is today the worst day of your life?

Peter: Yeah.

Dr. Swanson: Wow, that's messed up.

9. RocketMan Tex

A bit of it is that deep down, I feel that my parents see me as a failure, and it's all monetary. Don't get me wrong....I make a nice salary, own a house and drive a Lexus. My folks, however, keep wanting to compare me to the children of their friends who have been extremely successful financially....while I am just moderately successful.

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Tell your parents to ****off!

You'd be surprised how liberating it is.

11. RocketMan Tex

I do, and it is, but deep down I know they wish I would have turned out differently, and it gnaws at me. I need to find a way to keep it from gnawing at me, and it needs to be a way that does not involve drugs or alcohol.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It sounds like it's time for your to buy a Red Corvette.

13. RocketMan Tex

:D

You know what I really want? A new day gig....one that I can get excited about. One outside of IT, perhaps.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's pretty ****ty. There's more to life than making money. Sad if you're parents don't understand that. As long as you do, then **** 'em.

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know Tex at the end of our lives I think we're going to be a lot more concerned with how many people we've affected in a positive way and a lot less with how much money we've made. It's probably a healthy thing to realize that now and live our lives accordingly. Fewer regrets later.

16. RocketMan Tex

Oh, they understand it, and I also try to remind them of it every chance I get. It's just that for some reason, they keep comparing me with others, and it's always the really successful "others". It sometimes makes me wonder why I ever moved back, even though I know my life is 100% better here in Houston than it was in Los Angeles.

17. RocketMan Tex

Thank you. I'm coming to the same conclusion, albeit slowly.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You say your personal life is better than it's ever been, but you are very, very unhappy? Do you have a girlfriend? Do you live together? Are you married? In either case, is it a relationship of years standing? (if you have one?) Perhaps your real unhappiness is based somewhere on that level, and less on your parents or your job. (although I can easily see how a job you really don't like and find unfulfulling could produce some of the angst you're experiencing)

I've seen several friends, over the years, married or not, go nuts running after a new relationship with the opposite sex, often with disasterous results that they regret later. And it's often a chick younger than they are, by at least a decade. Are you "tempted?"

(RMT, I'm just tryin' not to think about my taxes. nothing personal, lol! ;) )

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Parent: Why can't you be like Peter Wong. 1500 on SAT. Went to Harvard and now a doctor. He has a big house. His wife, also a doctor.

Son: Peter Wong got busted last week for drugs.

Parent: Who cares about Peter Wong. Is he my child? Did I raise him?

20. RocketMan Tex

Deck...I appreciate your post, but my girlfriend is definitely not where the real unhapiness lies. We've been dating for 7 months, and it couldn't be better. I love her dearly. She is only one year younger than me.

However....your post describes my best friend to a "T"! :D