1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Midland Lee A&M Recruit - He said what???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hammer755, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I haven't seen this posted yet. If so, my apologies.

Lee Signing Day Story

In the middle of an article talking about Midland Lee's recruiting relationship with A&M, future Ag Terrence McCoy apparently let slip with a little secret.

2. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

hmm.... when in rome??

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Its good they keep on their grades with private tutoring. Just good all-around! They build geniuses there, not football players- remember.

4. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

#4 Davidoff, Feb 7, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

rrriiiggghhhttt
    Charlie Stretching

Rocket River

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. They are feed, and given scholarships etc. that allow them to keep their pockets full. (they don't need to pay).

7. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Contributing Member

Well, is it really a big deal? Tell me one school rank Top 25 is not doing this.

8. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

The blame can go on the midland reporter who printed this. He was probably looking for some sort of shock reporting. When a 17/18 recruit who just signed a LOI is saying something like 'they keep your pockets full' and 'they take care of you', that obviously perks your ears up. Instead of just running w/ it, how about u ask a question for him to clarify what he mean. That way the school won't look bad and the kid won't look bad...which maybe this reporter was going for.

How many of you remember saying something that was either misconstrued by someone else when you were that age. Since you likely weren't a recruit, the difference is, someone would have asked you to clarify what you meant.

I appreciate Charlie for giving A&M and Terrance McCoy a fair shake. That's y he is the best in sports talk in Houston and the other guys should be taking notes.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Hulabaloo

Ka-CHING Ka-CHING!!!!

:D

10. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Rocketman Tex...exactly.

That's the sound of the reporter cashing his checks, since he is now hired by the Austin (Un)American Statesman or their sister paper, the Dallas(s) Morning News. Any reporter who can create a scandal w/ A&M is good enough for those newspapers.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this just now getting a thread, charlie was on this thurs, so was john and lance. kind of stupid. its an 18 year old kid who plays football, who knows what he meant?

12. RocketMan Tex

Damn Liberal Media!!!
    :eek: ;) :D

13. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

We of the maroon persuasion call it BOMC = Burnt Orange Media Conspiracy
    :D

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The reporter was probably a Permian grad trying to the the Lee kid in trouble.

15. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

At least he didn't mention the drugs and prostitution.

16. RocketMan Tex

In College Station.....

DRUGS = a twelve pack of Bud Light
    PROSTITUTION = a late night visit to the cattle pen

17. Major

Major Member

The funny thing about the quote is that he makes it sound like whatever he's talking about is unique to A&M - as though they don't do all that stuff at the other schools, explaining why he's going there. That's why it made the news.

As far as blaming the reporter, that's just silly. The article wasn't about his quote - it was a quote fit into a long article about the connection between the two schools and the latest recruits going to A&M. It wasn't like the reporter was trying to get the guy in trouble.

18. underoverup

underoverup Member

this kind of sleazy under the table a&m payola is one of main reasons vince young never seriously considered going to school there.

:p

19. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

The damn comment made news all over the place. Some Aggies reported that they had received emails from their friends who attend 'bama, lsu, and florida schools...u could say that this is certainly a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but I digress. The ONLY person to do a follow up on that quote was Rachel Cohen, who is the only shimmer of hope for the Dallas Morning News. I don't know the link and I don't subscribe to the DMN, but I suggest you all read that article and the kid clarifies his statement...but of course you don't want to read that, u just want to keep piling on.

I know how this game is played though. If the foot were on the other shoe and this was a longhorn player making the same comment, I would have been all over him and the sip program just as y'all are on the A&M program. So it's ok, get your comments in, but there won't be an investigation over this and this will just go away.
    :rolleyes:

20. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Heard the 610 morning crew discussing that last week. What a stupid thing for him to say. I'm sure he's gonna be real popular with his new teammates.