1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mid east giant VS far east giant!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by never, Sep 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. never

never Member

i just heard about a guy from iran who is 223 cm and will be in first asian game against chinese team. does any one know something about him? ;) i start to image twin towers in rox 2, 3 years later.

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Damn metric system. I have no idea how tall that is.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

bradley was 228 cm so it is about 1,5 inch shorter then bradley.

4. WinknCatForever

223 cm would be about 7 '4 "

5. Sane

Sane Member

Wow, go Iran..

Considering Iranians generally have GREAT build, this is quite interesting...

6. WinknCatForever

The Iranian National Team just arrived in China. The guy you are talking about has been nicknamed by his teammates, "Yao Ming of the Middle East". They also say they fear no other team, except the Chinese National team.

Here is a picture of the Iranian National team arriving with the 7'4 " center Yao will go up against in the background.

[​IMG]

7. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I don't like to think about Yao going up against such a large guy like that. Really large guys like that tend to be slow and clumsy and can cause injury to Yao by stepping on his foot or kneeing him on his thigh or leg. I just hope he gets through that matchup unscathed.

8. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

But the million dollar question is (drumrolls)... Can he play?

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

how tall is the iron sheik?

10. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

www.NBAdraft.net says:

Jaber Rouzbahani (Iran, Center, 17, 7-3)
    Stats: 12.8 pts, 8 rbs, 4.9 bl, 56% 2FG

The Iranian giant showed some sparks during the championships. He's a "project". Needs to find a good coach to work on his game and lift it to the next levels, but already now it's easy to spot some good qualities. A skilled blocker (Best on in the entire WC) while using good timing and his long body, he's certainly not a bad passer, knows to keep the ball above his head to avoid turnovers. He's only 17, so there's still a long way for him to go, but Rouzbahani is able to walk that way.

:rolleyes:

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

He's 17? Damn......he could still grow some, although I doubt it.

Perhaps we will hear more about him in 5-6 years. Perhaps not.....

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

...provided our relations with Iran change, otherwise they are still in the axis of eViL dO-ers.

anyone remember the fiasco with 7-8 michael ri of N. Korea? big stiff that had nothing but height but could have still probably play in the league if given a chance, politics got in the way and he's now past his prime. i saw him play in some game against the UAE, the guy takes forever to get to the otherside of the court but, damn can he grab the rim flatfooted. he would at least of had manute bol novelty.

13. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

If he's 17, those must have been 17 tough years ... that's not exactly a boyish face ...

14. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Could this guy be a son of Bin Laden?....He looks like him......Hmmm

15. ACL1

ACL1 Member

Yet another victim of the American public school system. Before making any racist remarks go read your history and geogrophy. Then get your stereotypes rights so you do not have to make an A** out of yourself.

There are couple of coaches in Iran that are fundamentally sound. If he is a product of their clubs, I expect him to have guard skills.

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I'm thinking someone has to work on their sarcasm detection skills. ;)

17. ACL1

ACL1 Member

Imagine the poor kid in here in a couple of years, walking on the court for the first time, and having people calling him bin laden.

18. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

If the Iranian team is afraid of no one but the Chinese National Team that must mean they really suck. Which also means that all their players suck, which means this 7'4 Giant is probly Shawn Bradley part 2

19. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

The competetion must really suck. I mean Iranians playing basketball and fearing no one. Thats like having a Russian surf team fearing no one.

20. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

Those who scream loudest about racism are the racists. You brand some else a racist, and you sir are the actual racist.

Comparing this guy to Osama isn't the best thing to do. However, if I compare our last second round pick(Badain) to Shaq, am I a racist? NO! Comparing people to people does not constitute racism. Racists like you have no reason to be here.