1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Microphone Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Jan 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

so i got a sennheiser e935 microphone the other day for karaoke. went home and plugged it in, nothing. tried the cheap one that i had, it worked. any idea why?

the karaoke machine uses the cable that has XLR3 on one end and the basic instrument 1/4 mono patch cable. does e935 just not work for karaoke? if that's the case, i may get a vocal/keyboard amplifier for the microphone. thanks.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Let me guess. You guys love to sing the **** out of Richard Marx, right? Right?

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

your machine doesn't have an xlr input?

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i have the e835, which the cheaper version of yours. very happy w/ it - great mic for vocals.

have you ever tried another mic besides the one that came w/ the karaoke machine and the e935? it might be that your karaoke machine only uses the mic that came with it. or have you tried the e935 out on something else to make sure that it isnt broken?

what do you mean when you say one end is 1/4'' and the other is xlr? isnt it usually one or the other? the end that plugs into the mic should be the same 3 hole plug (thats what she said).

5. yuantian

i tried it on my guitar amp. the cheap one with the machine worked. the e935 didn't work. but anyways, probably just a defective one or it just doesn't work with the karaoke machine. i will see what the store has to say about it. can still exchange or return.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

the cheap mic is probably wired to work like that..from XLR to 1/4"

no professional mic is going to work like that. you need XLR on both ends.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

8. yuantian

i was going to buy the cable with XLR on both ends, but at the time, i wasn't sure if the karaoke machine had that input. so i backed off.

i might as well just get a vocal amplifier. it would still work with the karaoke tracks and it'll sounds better too probably.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

well then there is your problem. get a new mic!

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

or use a proper cable fit for a professional mic.

what's next..he is going to convert it the xlr and plug it into his iphone? :p

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The cable isn't the problem it is the inputs being unbalanced or balanced.