1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"...micro-ball experience is limiting James Harden"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by legacygt777, Mar 12, 2020.

1. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

rockets13champs and BaselineFade like this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

MDA? Adjustments? lol

Ramo$e, kjayp, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Also limiting James Harden - the cancellation of the NBA season indefinitely.

Patience, sirjesse, Sanctity and 5 others like this.
  4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I've been thinking a lot about this issue. If the choice came down to having Russ remain inefficient or Harden having to adjust then I think they made the right decision. Westbrook's impact on the team and the payroll made it vital that he become more efficient.

Harden has a superior overall skill set and an offensive genius, so I at least have to trust that he and MDA will work this out.

5. tnluong84

tnluong84 Member

I don't think micro-ball is the reason for his struggles. I think he's got some nagging recurring injuries that he's been dealing with for months now. Hopefully if the NBA resumes the season in a month or so, it'll give Harden some time to heal from his injuries.

RyanB, Patience, HP3 and 8 others like this.
  6. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

or lack there of lol

7. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

agreed

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

So going to 5 out to maximize Russ and switch everything were not adjustments?

:rolleyes:

Patience, HP3, DeBeards and 4 others like this.
  9. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

that might be true...but i think not having Capela for the ally-oop really has taken some things out of Hardens game.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets may need to adjust by having corner cut to rim for dunks while guard rotates down to left corner as kick out option when Harden drives.

But that means PJ needs to stay on right corner because he is not lob threat.

HP3, DeBeards, BaselineFade and 3 others like this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

NBA season being canceled means we have to talk about articles authored from MSN now? Oy vey.

Patience, kjayp and BigShasta like this.
  12. alethios

alethios Member

I like this though I think stationing Covington on the right corner and having WB rotate to the left corner gives them the option of both being able to cut to the basket. But it means WB may at times have to shoot the 3 and PJ would sit out on the wing.

DeBeards, BaselineFade and D-rock like this.
  13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think this hiatus only benefits the Rockets. Kawhi does load management while most every other star player weathers through small nagging injuries and wear and tear entering the playoffs. This is now time for the Rockets to get healthy. Instead of it just being Kawhi fresh entering a grueling playoffs, everyone will be.

It'll be nice to see Tucker not have dead legs entering the playoffs. Likewise for Harden.

14. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

This guys doesn’t know what he’s talking about. At least watch some game tape and have someone show you what’s really occurring.

HP3 likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets had to shed their best rebounder, best rim protector, tons of picks, and the ideal situation for James Harden just to make Westbrook a viable player.

Not ideal.

kjayp likes this.
  16. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

Didn't read the article but I agree that it is effecting Harden to some degree. Now when Harden drives, he either dishes out to the three (which is nothing new) or has to lay/float it up (again nothing new) but those are basically his only options. The problem with not having the lob option for Harden is that now when defenders crash on his drive, they don't have to worry about guarding that lob anymore. When we did have a center that Harden could lob it to at the last second, we saw defenders having to choose between closing Harden's drive off or guarding the lob option allowing Harden to finish. Now everyone just closes his drive off.

A good example was one of the first possessions against Minnesota, Harden drove and when they collapsed on him he dished to Tucker under the basketball but Tucker wasn't able to go up for a layup bc of the bigger defender and instead dished it out essentially killing the original play.

That being said, there could obviously be more reasons as to why Harden is struggling (nagging injuries/exhaustion/etc). I'm not saying that this is the only reason that he is struggling but having that option did help his game out a lot. However, Harden and MDA are offensive geniuses so I'm sure they can figure this out. Wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets go for a cheap center option (or big name o_O) this off-season.

17. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Well, I don't know if they can make it work. But OKC maximized Westbrooke's game with the result that Victor Olidipo, an all-star talent, was a below average starter, and that Domantis Sabonis, an all-star talent, was a below-average rotational player, and Jerami Grant was average and Kevin Durant spent most of his time standing around until he got his chance to play hero ball for a while. It seemed like every one of Westbrooke's teammates underachieved (though I though Paul George improved). Now we claim that Harden is under-performing, and so is Gordon and so is House and so is Tucker and there isn't even any place for Capela on the team.

We used to be an upper-level team and now we're crap, but we ARE maximizing Westbrooke and he has been fabulous.

18. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Hardens needs a pick n roll big who can score. That threat of a lob or pick and pop opens up so much for harden.

I never liked that we traded Clint. I do like Westbrook. But loss of Capela hurting us too.

teams aren’t afraid to drive hard to the rim. That’s why our defense has taken a dive

19. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I really don't think that's the problem lol because if he was hitting his shots this wouldn't be a topic. I think its bc he's drained or playing too much defense in the paint can take a toll on your legs.

Patience, HP3 and BaselineFade like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is another option but not the most efficient.

DeBeards likes this.