1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Sam says he is gay; could become first openly gay NFL player

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 9, 2014.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You are telling everyone it is news and I am saying it isn't. Whats the big deal?

Anywho, where is the out pouring of hate against NBC for giving Ellen Degeneras a show? Where are the massive protests in front of her show?

If everyone would just treat this guy as if his sexual preference didn't matter then there would be no media circus. Instead now every player on his team is gonna have to answer questions like 'whats it like having a homosexual player in the locker room?' or 'whats your stance on homosexuality?'. All because people, such as the ones in this thread, insist on claiming his sexual preference is a big deal.

If most scouts already know, then I am sure most his college teammates knew when they were playing with him. They didn't give a ****.

I bet you more people hate Jews in this country than homosexuals. We don't have to go through this whole media circus every time a Jewish athlete comes around.

You are conflating disapproving of a homosexual marriage with hating a homosexual.

No, he said he wouldn't want to get naked in front of a gay person, not that he didn't want to be their teammate.

#61 tallanvor, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I don't feel the way Vilma does, but it's not much different than a woman not wanting to shower with a male coworker.

Sorry, but pronouncing to the world what gets you off will never impress me.

If he did it in Iran, that would be heroic.

And I don't think his sexual preference will hurt his draft stock. But the media spectacle (which he has largely welcomed) probably will hurt him.

But perhaps some owner wants public accolades that he can't buy with money and insists his team drafts Sam. They would forever have the label "historic" attached to their name.

3. rudan

rudan Member

The wussification of sports continues :rolleyes:

On a side note, I bet all the media would wet themselves if this gayguy sacked Tim Tebow. That would be epic :p

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Props to him. I imagine that feels like the world has been lifted off his shoulders.

I'm glad we're getting closer and closer to this being a non-story. We're definitely not there yet, and it's a slow process, but we're getting closer.

People still care. Kids are still being taught that homosexuality is wrong. Being a teacher/coach, I get to hear kids talk about homosexuality more than most people. A large majority don't care what sexual preference anyone has, but there are plenty that still view it as a horrible thing. And those kids are normally the loudest about it.

When I go to work tomorrow, I know this is going to a be a big topic among the kids. They are going to bring it up. Probably once during every one of my classes.

So some of you may sit there and say that "nobody cares", but I can definitely assure you, that is not the case.

1 person likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

[​IMG]

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The fact that other people before him have blazed trails makes it less of a big deal in your eyes. Sam's announcement is just another step along this path. People have been emotionally and physically tortured and killed because of their sexual orientation. To say it isn't a big deal trivializes their lives and struggle that those people have gone thru. Sam is another role model for all people to look up to. His announcement shows that homosexual men can be accepted in one of the most hyper masculine environments in America.

1 person likes this.
  7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

People have been emotionally and physically tortured and killed because of their religious beliefs too. Doesn't mean u need make a media circus out of everyone who pronounces their religious beliefs. We have a gay mayor in Houston for goodness sake. It's not a big deal. Stop making it out to be and their would be no media circus.

8. downbytheriver

Michael Sam does have the gay look (I can pick him out of a lineup). I do not personally agree with that lifestyle or find it necessary to constantly crave attention for it, but making it public and getting the sheep to talk about it is the way it will become less stigmatized.

9. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

keep your stupid shtick anti-obama rants in d&d. no one wants that crap in here. :rolleyes:

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Respect his bravery.

Good for him and best wishes.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Funny

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Great timing for this. I applaud this guy.

Either he will be the one that goes down as exposing the NFL as anti-gay, which will draw heavy criticisms, or he will be drafted and accepted with open arms (which he should), and never have to pretend he's something he is not during his career.

I think it says a lot about the guy, given the timing. He's not afraid to be himself, and take responsibility for his actions. Seems like a Texans kind of guy. I hope there are other teams that want him, too. I could easily see the Texans picking him in the fourth or fifth round. He fits a need, too.

Bravo to him.

13. cml750

cml750 Member

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm shaking mine at you...

15. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Reading all of these supportive comments here and on Facebook makes me wonder how society is perfectly fine with fruits but a player like Tebow was mocked for his religious beliefs. Anyone remember "tebowing"? I can just imagine the backlash if a player does little gay gestures towards Sam on the field.

16. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

the insensitivity by some comments here are startling. This is a huge deal. If you don't view this as brave and important than you're not very aware of the society we live in.

All open minded people would love for this to not be a big deal, but thats clearly not the case. Michael Sam is a hero. He's standing up to bigotry and saying he's not afraid.

Are you serious? I guarandamntee you that Gay people have to go through a ton more mocking, judgment, and insults than an openly christian guy. "Tebowing" wasn't even insulting or offensive to christianity or tebowing in any shape or form

Society is not "perfectly fine" with "fruits" (very sensitive term bro. I can already tell you're one of the people that isn't perfectly fine with them). grow up.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Sorry the article posted in the OP didn't count as being posted.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously you can't be living in that much of a bubble. This is a big deal because as others have pointed out the NFL does still have a homophobic culture. People aren't just saying he will be a distraction because of the media circus but also because of how it will affect chemistry in the locker room.

[quote
    Anywho, where is the out pouring of hate against NBC for giving Ellen Degeneras a show? Where are the massive protests in front of her show?[/quote]

Actually there were protests against Ellen Degeneres and the sitcom she was on when she came out.
    If you listen to what Michael Sam is saying he doesn't want to be known as a gay NFL player but is addressing this to get ahead of rumors and innuendo.

Further if this wasn't a big deal why are you still continuing to post in this thread? Clearly this is an issue that you think is important enough to keep on commenting on.
    See above.
    If anti-semitic slurs were common in the NFL and this was the first openly Jewish athlete yes it would also be a big deal.
    And right there is one reason why this is a bid deal.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just about him being brave but from his comments it sounds like he is trying to get ahead of the issue and that he feels that rumors and being outed would be more of a distraction than if he just came out now.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And yet you're in this thread, reading the stories and chiming in with your deliberately dense two cents. Seems to me you do care.

Gee, if that wasn't the case, I can't fathom why those laws were ever passed!

He's probably more of a man than you, keyboard jockey. Try taking a hit from him and maintaining that he's a wuss.