1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Sam says he is gay; could become first openly gay NFL player

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 9, 2014.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If that was only reality. This is a major story.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He just became undraftable by some teams. Pretty big story. Not sure if the money lost by slipping in the draft would be offset by the celebrity he gets from this. Should be interesting.

3. Nook

Nook Member

#1 His sexuality makes him a hero because other people have stigmatized homosexuality, especially in sports.

#2 No negative consequences? You are smarter than that.

#3 Expressing opinions about cultural events is nothing new by a President. It is well known that Obama supports gay rights, so why wouldn't he speak highly of Sam?

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Cowboys should draft him. Since they are a bunch of f*** anyways.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, but he will have been true to whom he is. I have tremendous respect for him. I played college sports and the thought of an openly gay teammate was just not possible... Sam is openly admitting his sexuality, putting a bullseye on his back because he is confident in who he is.

Teams will pass on him, and I don't blame them. Bellichek summed it up when he said it is avoiding distractions. Still someone will give him a shot and teams and players will have to face homosexual players.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very courageous move by the SEC co-defensive player of the year. The people decrying the potential media circus use that as a smoke-screen. You see, if the potential of being "publicized to death" is too great, players will never come out and/or teams will never sign them. That's the real goal of "being concerned" for the poor coaches, GMs and locker room atmosphere. By suggesting that the environment may be so toxic in the wake of an openly-gay athlete, they seek to never deal with an openly gay athlete. Too bad.

Michael Sam was the co-defensive player of the year in the college football's best conference. He has lived through great tragedy - the incarceration and death of siblings - and has come out of that to be a projected 3rd to 5th round NFL Draft pick. He also happens to be gay. We should all be so lucky that a man this courageous and strong plays for our favorite team.

1 person likes this.
  7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Nobody cares about his sexual preference, they might care about the dumb media circus that comes from something like this. The only people who seem to care about his sexual preference is people who desire to praise him and put him on a pedestal (for example people in this thread).

you and others like you are the ones creating the media circus. If you would just shrug it off and treat him like everyone else their would be no media circus.

8. Nook

Nook Member

You 60 years ago..

"Shame on Sports Illustrated for acting like this is a story. Who gives a **** what color Jackie Robinson is."

I find it hilarious... You guys were the same guys 5-10 years ago that made a huge deal out of homosexuality and how wrong it was... You then lost the war and want to discredit any barrier broken by a homosexual, as if it isn't a big deal... When it is a big deal because Republicans made it a big deal to begin with.

9. tallanvor

I'm sorry did you just compare what African Americans were going through 60 yrs ago to what homosexuals go through now? You might want to retract that statement real fast.

O'Rly? tell me more about me? and who is 'you guys'?

10. mtbrays

Supporting Member

As long as there are people who condemn homosexuals for who they are, players who express fear of gay players on their team (even though it's acknowledged that gays have always been in the NFL, either by Deion Sanders tonight or the Chronicle's reporting on the 1990s Oilers), a whisper campaign conducted anonymously by scouts who ask about girlfriends and demean gay players through anonymous comments and others, like you, whose schtick is to be willfully obtuse, it will be a news story.

1 person likes this.
  11. tallanvor

In this country that is pretty rare. Nobody is up in arms that Ellen Degeneras has a tv show. Nobody cared when Jason Collins came out. Nobody is out protesting Ricky Martin concerts. Nobody cares in this country (except you are your ilk).

12. Nook

Nook Member

I don't and won't redact a damn thing. Nice attempt at distracting from the topic though. You are ignorant... "No one cares what his sexuality is."... Riiight... He couldn't even get married until very recently, but no one cares?

It is the bull**** that Republicans pulled with AIDS and a number of other marginalized groups.

It is a big deal, because you and your ilk made it a big deal. If you don't want it to be a big deal, next time don't go out of your way to oppress an entire class of people.

1 person likes this.
  13. tallanvor

I think you are gonna offend quite a few African Americans

smh.....

in what way did I oppress an entire class of people? Please tell me my stance on homosexual marriage. You seem to know me so well.

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Nook

Nook Member

There is nothing else to discuss, you are not this stupid. I have see you have thoughtful discussions on other topics. You have made the decision to play the role of a dense moron on this topic so you don't have to confront reality. I won't take part in it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

You seem to have a habit of telling other people what is and what isn't news - it seems that you really believe that if you're not interested in something, no one is. Sadly, as is typically the case, you're very, very wrong.

17. mtbrays

Supporting Member

18. Major

Major Member

Interestingly, while this might hurt him in the draft, it's going to reward progessive-thinking teams. If he was a 3rd round pick and falls to the 5th, some team that's willing and open to to drafting him will get great value out of it. Meanwhile, all the teams that got scared off lose out. I could see a team like Seattle being a beneficiary - they are in a region that is more accepting than other areas, have a coach that creates the new-age atmosphere and a healthy open lockerroom, and a team that has a history of finding great value picks for their defense.

19. Major

Major Member

20. Ashes

Ashes Member

Well if it's true that most teams felt/knew he was gay already, coming out now might actually help his cause of being drafted.