1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Sam says he is gay; could become first openly gay NFL player

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Feb 9, 2014.

1. Raven

Raven Member

He'll make more money from endorsements, book deals, and public speaking than he will as a player, but so what? No one should have to live in secrecy, and he should have every right to live openly and honestly, but he needs to learn from Tebow that too much media attention can scare teams away. He's going to need to be assertive and demand that the questions should be about his game and not about his sexual orientation, otherwise the media is going to be an anchor that sinks his career before it begins.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now midgets (or should we say dwarves?) is an interesting take.

Generally young children of any gender are allowed with their parents in either locker room because they don't represent a threat and are better off with their parents than segregated by gender. Also I remember reading that during the 80's when the Eastern European women athletes were being doped up at international meets there were comments by other women about how uncomfortable they were in the locker rooms with the East Germans.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That probably sounds very familiar to gay folx.

But nobody's telling dissenters to lie or shut up, I don't think. Just don't shower with Michael Sam. I don't get why any of us have such a strong take on NFL locker rooms when we're not in them. Only will matter to his teammates and they will of course have all kinds of different takes.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, but if we include people who are somewhat bi, 10% seems pretty reasonable.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I can understand why he came out since the media was already breathing down his neck about it. At least he gets to control the story.

I don't condone the behavior, but it's no less a of distraction than the killers, drunks, liars, philanderers, and rapists that we have on each roster. If the guy can ball, hopefully that's all we will need to focus on. Michael Sam's life should be defined by his character, actions, and how he treats people. To prop him up or bring him down because of who he sleeps with would be a travesty to him.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

As I said to a friend that posted this on facebook...finally, something good comes out of dallas.

7. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Michael Sam enjoys being at the bottom of a pile of football players.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It took you a full week to come up with that gem. Congratulations.

:rolleyes:

9. rudan

rudan Member

He probably likes it either way. He looks freaky like that :grin:

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

[​IMG]

I see the NBA isn't the only place that needs to decide to put more age restrictions in place.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does he get his own locker room?

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

If a Houston Texan thinks it's more important to have a straight teammate than have a guy who can help them WIN GAMES then he should be cut.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

A business whose income is based on TV ratings doesn't want extra publicity?

14. Nook

Nook Member

The league will embrace homosexual players... not because they like homosexuality, but because they know the wind is blowing towards social acceptance and they do not want to alienate fans.

The coaches and players? It is obvious a number of them just flatout do not like homosexuality...... but there is no basis to hate it or dislike it, and it is going to be forced... accept it or you are gone.

I suspect some day we will look back and say, why was homosexuality such a big deal?

Until then, the NFL will w**** themselves to do what they do best.... make huge amounts of money off the backs of their players.

15. rudan

rudan Member

I dont get it. The United States? Gay bars? NFL? This forum? What the heck are you talking about??? :confused:

Are you french?

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Holy **** you are an idiot....

Like wow lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Charles Barkley on Michael Sam "I think it's an insult to gay people to think that they are going to be looking at their teammates in a sexual way. That's an insult to all gay men. And we welcome them to the locker room, and I wish Mr. Sam the best.
    "I think they're going to be safe with their teammates. I think the public at large is more homophobic than guys in the locker room. I think we as players get a bad rap.""

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pSRiXzo3mzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice article on the MMQB by Connor Barwin (link).

Sure was a lot more fun when we had him and Cody around and the team was winning.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Makes no sense why it's an insult. They're attracted to men, and they're around men.... naked ones. Doesn't mean they're going to jump on one of them, it means they could easily be attracted.

Frankly, I think Charles is bisexual and that's IF he likes women.

20. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Because any man who stands up for a member of the gay community must be themselves gay. Sam has been showering in locker rooms since he was a boy. Gay peoples "Gaydar" is more highly developed than most straight peoples. In 20 years of doing community theater with gays and lesbians I have almost never seen a gay person "hit on" a straight person.