1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Phelps Photographed Taking Bong Hit?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Faos, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Good eye. I wonder how how that 38% number would jump if it were conducted with students who had just graduated college. Obviously, that number wouldn't be representative of the population as a whole, as it wouldn't include non-college grads, but it would be interesting to see nonetheless.

I would say that at least 33% of my law school class has smoked weed during the past 3 years they have been in law school. Out of my law school classmates, I would imagine the number that has tried it at least once in their entire lives is easily over 50%. I was actually pretty shocked about the number of current students who smoke weed.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It looks like he didn't learn from his DUI incident.

Maybe it's just me, but earning a few million is a good enough reason to put the bong down.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Looks like he did. He was taking hits from the bong, not shots of Patron. :cool:

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Can we please stop the stupid smear campaign against harmless, recreational drug use?

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Ive never done one drug in my life...but I can honestly say, that every single person in my group of 50 or so friends that I regularly see and hang out with, has tried mar1juana at least once in their lives.

I think a vast majority of Americans have done it at one point or another. It doesnt mean that they are druggies or current users...

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

look on the bright side...at least he wasn't smoking steroids.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

"Cracks are bad."
    -Nolan Ryan

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Stop making excuses for Phelps. It's his right to do drugs. A lot of people do drugs. That doesn't change the fact that it's illegal for him to smoke pot...in his country and as far as his sport is concerned. It's illegal....he did it....he is in the wrong, PERIOD. Do y'all also have sympathy for the tons of kids in our penal system due to the sell or use of this same drug? It's too bad they can't just apologize and not have to suffer the consequences of breaking the law.

I understand the drug laws in our country are wack, but Phelps still broke the law. I have no sympathy for Phelps because he broke the dummy code in this case...if you're famous don't go out smoking pot in public where any dope with a camera phone can get a picture of you doing it.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

actually, i do.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

So you admit the law is unjust, yet think people should scorn him anyway? Or at the very least, *not* excuse him?

Sorry, I totally disagree. I'm all for people voicing their lack of desire for the continued punishment of an unjust law, no matter who breaks it.

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I agree. It's so much less harmful than alcohol, yet we spend billions of dollars a year trying to prevent its trade in the US.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

:confused: Huh? I hate the abuse of the word "right." How can you have a right to do something illegal? These are mutually exclusive concepts. He does not have a right to smoke pot because it is illegal. The government was able to criminalize the use of pot because there is no right to use guaranteed. You could say, perhaps, "he is able to do drugs."

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Don't we have amendments that say Freedom of Weed and the right to roll blunts?

14. Icehouse

I never said laws banning drug use in our country are unjust. I think the punishments surrounding them (i.e. a pot user can catch a sentence alongside a rapist) are unjust.

In this case, I have no sympathy for Phelps. He isn't going to go to jail. If anything happens, it will just deal with him competing and possibly losing his endorsements. I have no sympathy for him not being able to compete because he knows the rules about drug use. He should abide them like any other athlete in any other sport. I have no sympathy if he loses his endorsements, because how stupid could you be to put millions on the line by getting high in public.

Edit: This is just hilarious to me because here everyone is (well a lot of folks) saying woe to Phelps for choosing to do something we routinely flame other athletes for on this board, not using smart judgement and taking drugs when everyone knows they are banned/illegal. I guess it pays to be the golden boy. If this were any UT athlete we would flame them. A football player or a basketball player....we would be calling the thugs or idiots (i.e. the dudes that got busted with weed in the rookie camp...and at least they tried to fire up in their room in private). Etc....

#94 Icehouse, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  15. Icehouse

He does have a right to do it. No one can stop you from doing anything, as long as you are willing to deal with the consequences if you get busted.

16. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I understand
    but
    it only seems to an issue when certain folx do it
    no one is crying about the kid in Harris County for the exact same crime

I just detest the favortism toward the rich

Rocket River

Rocket River

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's an f'ed up defintion of right. You're saying if you are physically capable of doing something, that constitutes a right?

Consider some other takes on what a "right" is:

dictionary.com: that which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles, etc.: women's rights; Freedom of speech is a right of all Americans.

Amercian Heritage Dictionary: Something that is due to a person or governmental body by law, tradition, or nature.

Thomas Hobbes: That a man be willing, when others are so too, as far forth as for peace and defense of himself he shall think it necessary, to lay down this right to all things; and be contented with so much liberty against other men, as he would allow other men against himself.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

LMAO. His quota must be really crappy if hes trying to charge Phelps over a photograph. Thats just ridiculous. By his logic, everyone that was ever photographed with weed in a High Times magazine should be charged. Hell, arrest Ron Artest. There are a FULL 2 SECONDS of video where he blows out some mysterious smoke. ARREST THAT MAN!

20. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

that does not surprise me. Law and business school is for people who failed outta math class.