1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Jackson or Prince?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nice Rollin, Aug 5, 2009.

?

Mike or Prince?

1. Michael Jackson

64.5%
  2. Prince

35.5%
  1. Hmm

Hmm Member

and then you provide the following videos as evidence..

this just screams of biased subjectivity.... to extremes..

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Michael Jackson is like Shaquille O'neal in his prime, so incredibly dominant at a couple things that it really doesn't matter what he couldn't do.

Prince is like Tim Duncan in his prime, dominant because he's talented in many different ways.

But...the Diesel dominates Duncan.

3. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

MJ the better entertainer
    Prince the more talented musician.

My favourite Prince quote, "Hi Hong Kong, I am Prince. And I am a boy."

Then the crowd went crazy, I was WTF?? :confused:

4. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Without Qunicy Jones, MJ would have never made it out of the 70s.

The only man behind Prince is Prince.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I voted Michael mainly because I can name maybe 5 Prince songs....

Prince is a wicked guitar player, He wrecks during George's Hall of Fame induction.

Anyone have any recommendations for Prince songs where he displays his shredding ability? I'm not interested in his dance stuff and don't feel like digging through his catalog to find a few good licks.

6. dianap07

dianap07 Member

can't choose. i luv them both! mayyyyyyybbbeeeee MJ is slightly above Prince in my book. idk

7. Hmm

Hmm Member

You're absolutely right.. why if Donny Osmond had teamed up with "Qunicy" Jones.. the end result would've been just as transcendently spectacular..

8. bejezuz

Transcendentally spectacular? We're talking pop music, not Mozart. This is the 80s version of the Britney or Christina argument.

Michael isn't the most popular because he has the most talent, but because he had the most commercial appeal. Lionel Richie is a better song writer, Madonna is a better dancer, and Prince is a better musician and performer. Michael just happened to be a more marketable product.

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

certifiable... most assuredly.. certifiable.. good god..

10. Hmm

Hmm Member

further more..

we're talking about music.. period.. as all art.. the most appreciable human ability to convey emotion, thought, and soul.. Not a trivial contest of who can fit the most notes in a composition.. or technically execute them the best.. or who can pen the most exceptionally pretentious "depth" of words.. Greatness in any art.. is transcendent greatness.. as defined by it's means.. beyond all restrictions of genre.. label.. and category..

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

one of the best posts i have ever read on this message board in the 10 years i have been reading it.

12. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I voted Jackson, but Prince makes this cover so good.

13. Southern Select

Yes we're talking about music. A lot of music that MJ didn't write, perform or produce compared to Prince writing every song, sometimes playing almost every instrument on self produced 30+ records that includes numerous, great and legendary songs. That's kind of the point. Prince also wrote every song and played every instrument for The Time, Vanity 6 and other side projects. He has also written multiple hits for many other artists. Your argument is just silly.

2 people like this.
  14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I am dismayed but not surprised at how this one is going - don't get me wrong, Michael Jackson was an immortal for sure. But outside of Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad, what other solo albums can you consider of his to be classics? Dangerous?? Invincible?? ROFL...look at Prince and his albums:

Dirty Mind
    Purple Rain
    Sign O' the Times

Those 4 albums are some of the greatest albums ever done by anyone and then you have numerous albums that although solid aren't as classic as the ones above but still worth listening to:

Prince
    Controversy
    Around the World in a Day
    Parade
    Lovesexy
    The Black Album
    Diamonds and Pearls
    The Love Symbol Album
    The Gold Experience
    Musicology

Yes, Prince has hurt himself immensely by releasing too much filler as I mentioned before (he hasn't had many good albums since leaving Warners/changing his name to the symbol) but still the man has an incredible catalog. This poll should be more like 42-40 or 43-39 than what it is currently.

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Too soon after MJ's death to do this poll- he's going to have some people voting for him based on this.

The better poll would be Prince vs. Stevie Wonder. That's a tough one.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

He rapped "hey, kids, tell me how my ass taste" and they told him?? :confused:

I KID! :D

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Actually it was a "double date" with Brook Shields and Emmanuel Lewis. See, freakin' weird.

18. Hmm

Hmm Member

you reply with babble that misses the entire point of the post you're responding to by leaps and bounds.. while presenting it as a countering "point".. ?

topping it off by calling what was a deliberately stated universal truth.. as a "silly argument".. ?

my dear confused clutchfan.. on this matter.. you haven't a leg to stand on.. or a place to speak from.. as is evident by your lack of insight.. and understanding.. hell.. even prespective..

reminds me of Fatty Fatbastard comparing Elvis to Jessica Simpson.. on the basis that both did more singing than writing.. therefore considering them equal..

this whole stance is absurd.. it reeks of people simply going on about something they clearly haven't the slightest clue on..

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

but as I said before, it's difficult to truly compare.. since MJ started his musical career much earlier.. and before his "true" solo works.. he had already established a stellar career, demonstrative of stellar talent.. we can't simply push that aside as if it had no inclusive merit to his overall body of work.. just because he was part of a band and a label that wouldn't allow him to express his own ideas and creativity..

though I agree the poll's disparity shouldn't be so great.. as you stated, MJ will be considered an "immortal".. especially due to his greater worldwide ostensible impact compared to Prince.. so that can't be helped..

20. bejezuz

You're an ass.