1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Finley on James Harden defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, May 10, 2016.

1. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

This is bull Caca. Curry looses his man often except u don't see that on ESPN because he is curry.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

Couldn't say it any better. He might be a good guy, but I will always hate Michael Finley for this play

3. Steve_Francis_rules

Did you really just mention Klay Thompson in the same sentence as Hakeem and Jordan when referring to his ability to be an elite two-way player? Hasn't the greatness of Thompson's defense been debunked on here countless times by now?

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

That's why I keep questioning why does james feel the need to bring the ball up? PBev is just as capable of bringing the ball up... why doesn't james take a breather and let Bev bring it up? james can always reclaim the ball at the top of the key, but It wold at least give him a few seconds of not dribbling or worrying about defenders... It just makes no sense to me...

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Bev is a shaky ball handler at best and can't create. He shouldn't be a starter on a team with championship ambition. He's a bench player.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

funny you say that because I remember more than a handful of times they can't get the ball back to Harden because he can't get open or is denied really hard.

sometimes Harden just fights the guy for like 5-6 seconds and still doesn't get the ball and the whole play breaks down.

7. ling ling

ling ling Member

Funny you say this. Harden doesn't move to get the ball and Beverley doesn't move to get him the ball. Both guys stands put and tries to shield the defender to make the 4 foot hand off. They don't even have to defend the pass going another direction. Often the defense can deflect the ball a little and that would result an easy 2 point. This team makes a basic pass easy to defend.

8. kjayp

I'm just talking about bringing the ball up... If the other team decides to go with a fullcourt press, then the ballhandling may become a concern... but more often than not, bringing the ball up isn't a huge task...

9. kjayp

I'm talking harden can walk right up on Bev and be handed the ball... no need to make it more difficult than it has to be...

10. ling ling

ling ling Member

funny you said this. ^^^

11. tksense

tksense Member

Sigh... Believe whatever all you want. Fact is dubs is the winningest team in history, and curry plays good to great defense himself, at times remarkable.

Harden? nowhere near that, as reflected in the team record.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Tired of this excuse. Great players play on both sides of the court.

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Is Steph Curry a great player?

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He plays defense. It's not elite defense but he actually does play it

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I can't believe Jet claimed that these Warriors aren't as good as the Bulls Teams. That's BS. If the Warriors are allowed to play rough they would still out shoot those Bulls teams. There's nothing the Bulls could do about it other than see what Mike and Scottie could do.

16. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

LOL. "An occasional steal from being in the right place at the right time." So that's the secret sauce to leading the league in steals! You sir, are a genius!

Curry looks bad because he gambles too much (and has teammates he can rely on to play his gambling brand of defense), but make no mistake about it, he is not on the same level as the ****ty "I will guard them with my laser stare" Harden defense.

Harden could too, but then he wouldn't have any energy for strip clubs after the game.... :grin::rolleyes:

17. Zergling

Zergling Member

I would not be surprised at all if the Rockets' front office basically told Harden to take it easy on defense.

I think there is significant correlation to Harden giving very little energy on defense but being able to play 82 games and lead the league in minutes 2 consecutive years. He's built like a tank but being able to conserve energy on one half of the floor I'm sure plays a role in his durability.

The Rockets probably feel it's worth sacrificing a little on defense for his durability. They are correct, but the problem this year is the rest of the roster (especially Dwight) really regressed on defense and that screwed us.

18. theredbackpack

i honestly feel like people who harp on harden's defense literally do not understand what they're watching. it's like that one play from the raptors game (a game which we WON) in toronto where harden stayed on the weak side to watch someone (don't remember who) dunk. ~maybe~ he puts a body on that guy, but that's not really a defensive play. harden played the position on the court correctly, there was a breakdown away from him that led to an easy dunk. what's he going to do, draw a foul on someone? he wasn't just "standing there." damian lillard plays zero defense and no one ever mentions that. and that doesn't even detract from his ability as a player! the harden defense thing is just one of the laziest media creations ever.

19. BackdoorHarden

Everyone knows Harden can play D.

There is no reason why he can't be a great defender. He has great hands and is strong and can move his feet.

Only problem is, he likes to watch and swipe and put out little effort

20. BackdoorHarden

When Mark Jackson was the Warriors coach, he basically let Curry rest on defense.

I'm sure Rockets are telling the same thing to James.