1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Dickerson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 29, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree, let Mike Harris play then, our roster is full.

Once Von is ready, I hate to say it but cut Mike or Dorsey and sign Von.

DD

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Exactly.

3. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I don't think that it's such a bad idea to be honest, as this team could use a veteran. I haven't seen him since he left Houston to be honest, so I wonder how well he's playing these days, but based on the pictures that were posted he does look to be in great shape. I think that if it's a situation that should be visited, Morey won't hesitate. Does anyone have any recent video of Dickerson?

4. raj87

raj87 Member

During his Houston Rockets tenure, Michael Dickerson was the fastest man I had ever witnessed on a basketball court. Certainly, Dickerson was heavily recruited to play flanker on a professional or NCAA football squad?

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Use that common sense to read my original post. Dickerson isn't a long term solution. He's a temporary fix to what we hope is a temporary problem at the wing spot. You're kidding yourself if you think Wafer is a long term solution himself, Morey considered him just to be a temp fix as well. Right now all that matter is Dickers is healthy, von is not.

No one said he was great on offense and defense. I'm being realistic about what his skills are, he's well rounded, that's a fact, but i sure am not saying he's great. He is what he is. I'm not making him out to be the answer to our problems or an all star in the making. Again, my first post specifically says it's a temp solution.

I can't believe i even have to. i thought it was well known around here? I'm sure some others will agree, if no one says anything, then i'll go look for it.

Because not many tried or had the dedication to come back. Most enjoy their millions and retirement. Once again, von shouldnt even be mentioned until he's eligible to sign an NBA contract. just because it hasnt been done, especially because not many have been in a similar situation with a similar injury, doesnt mean it's impossible. Not likely? Maybe. But again, i made it clear this was a short term thing. You're coming at me like i suggested dickerson can be tmac's replacement and come in as a starter, but i'm not. Budinger could be out another month, no one knows when Wafer will be cleared. Yes dickerson is older, but his game has never really been about hops or speed, he's a smart playerwith skills that can still be effective at an older age. He just started his comeback last year, just signed to play in Spain, maybe Morey isn't or hasnt considered him, but he just started to comeback last year, and just recently signed to play in Spain, meaning there will be new info and new circumstances to use in evaluating him.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

again, that's assuming wafer will be ready. We dont know when that'll be. and dickerson is still someone to keep into consideration as they go into this tmac trade. We dont know how that'll leave the roster.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

RV6,

My point is that if he could play in the NBA he would be here. He's 34 and, YES, he absolutely depended on speed to be effective. I think it's great you're thinking outside the box for a solution but honestly, I would rather test out Penny Hardaway (who failed) than bring in a has-been like Michael Dickerson.

We need to find a way to break your love affair with aging, injury prone has-beens. :grin:

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

been looking for some...hopefully they'll be more soon since he just signed to play in Spain. And he does look to be in great shape, maybe even better than whenhe was here, he's got a nash thing going on. (and before anyone blasts me for comparing him to nash, i'm just talking about the shape hes in as he gets older).

9. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Dickerson? Come on I mean really.. Dude hasn't even sniffed the NBA in what 6 years and now you want to bring him back and give him minutes? For what? 2 weeks til Chase comes back. I'm not trying to mock you or start a fight RV6, but please try and keep our options realistic. Throw out some trade ideas like the thousands of other people or at least say somebody like McCants or Stackhouse. Dickerson??? wow.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

If we signed Dickerson I doubt he would ever crack the rotation.

11. Raw Texas

Raw Texas Member

Isn't Tmac a better solutions than both of these has beens... I love those guys but to me Mac still makes more since, especially with the horrible job ariza has done shooting the ball...

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The nba isn't perfect. If it was harris would be on a roster, budinger wouldnt have gone in the 2nd round. The league is full of examples of scouting or evluations that werent done completely or well at all. I'm just saying that his comeback is still in the making, hes been stuck mostly in "practice" like environments so far, but maybe jumping into pro competition and actual games in Spain changes something for him.

And are you refering to tmac? Wasnt really a love affair, i'm just going with what i feel is best for the team. Personally i hated the initial trade whenh e came here, then thought maybe he's what we truly needed all along, then hated him for the way last season went, but then realized his recovery was still the best case scenario for the team, which is why i wanted him to stick around until he stopped progressing.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

What's unrealistic about it? Is he available? Yes. Can we afford him? Yes. the only question is his play, but again, that's part of the point of this thread, to find out what he's got left.

and i find it interesting that you threw out stackhouse, yet you think dickerson is an unrealistic pick up?

dickerson was out for along time, but he wasnt exactly sitting at dunkin donuts for 6 years. He's been working out, rehabbing, keeping himself in good shape. Again, it's a temp fix. Just imagine he was in the league all this time, and we pick him up as vet help for a short stint. I think he'd probably be at the same point because he's healthy now. Fans make a big deal about age, and yes it's important at times, but how you take care of yourself plays a big role. Sometimes a 30 year old with bad habits isn't in any better physical shape than a 34 yr old with good habits.

14. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Give him a shot. If he's worth signing, sign him. I doubt he's going to have a major impact, but it wouldn't surprise me that he makes it back. Or not.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Stop bashing McGrady. He's gone :grin:

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

:grin:
    oops, no one is going to believe that i wasnt refering to him, huh? :grin:

For what it's worth, i really wasnt.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's not even worth thinking about. We have too many role players. Dickerson played so many years ago. Even before Bender did. The last thing we need are injured players or those that are coming off injuries.
    We need a healthy star player who can fit in with the team.

18. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Dude...seriously?!! How old is this guy now? Pass on this mess.....we need some bigs! As much as I love Chuck Hayes, I am sick of seeing people pick the ball over his head. Dickerson wont solve this problem....well maybe if we spiked his gatorade with geritol.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

TEMPORARY FIX. geez....i cant stress that enough. Whether we like it or not bud's injured. Von isnt available and tmac isnt likely to return. We may ot get help for another month, maybe more. We could use a TEMPORARY fix at the wing spot to counter Ariza and battier's talents.

20. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

He's a 34 year old SG that has been out of the league for at least 6 years. When he was playing he was a average player, nothing elite. THAT is what is unrealistic. He is not on ANY NBA team's radar. Sorry RV6.

Stackhouse at least is a proven NBA scorer and vet player one year removed from the NBA.

Well I guess IF he has rehabbed the injury and is in that type of shape, some NBA team will give him a look. I highly doubt Morey will be looking his way. McCants or Von have a much better chance.