1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Carter-Williams vs Trey Burke

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Pragmatician, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

Who'd you rather have if you were looking for a PG to build your team around in this draft?

For me, it's MCW.

Is either one of them a future superstar?

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't think either will be a superstar. I'd pick Burke, he looks safer. I think his floor is a good backup, ceiling a good starter on a good team. He'll have a shot at rookie of the year, if he's on a team where he can get big minutes right away.

MCW could bust. A guy who can't shoot and turns it over a lot. He's a project offensively. And we don't even know much defensively. He spent 2 years playing zone. Can he really defend point guards in the NBA? Is he going to have to defend 2 guards? He's tall, but he's not long or strong, so I don't know how that would work.
    And he's going to be 22 at the start of the season.
    There's some talent and nice size, but way too many questions. I wouldn't risk a top 10 pick on him.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Also, I hope MCW goes to a team that plays at a pretty high pace and has athletes/shooters around him. He'd have the best chance to succeed there. I could see him as a backup in San Antonio or Atlanta, for example.

4. Pragmatician

Pragmatician Member

Sure, Burke is safer. But I'm a risktaker, and I really like MCW. His ceiling is higher than Burke's, and he'd be a more versatile player in the league.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well you are a fan. You like these risks because you aren't risking anything. :) A GM would risk his career and the future of his team. In real life, there's always some risk/reward ratio where if the risk is too high and reward is extremely unlikely, you don't risk.

I think this is one of those situations. I think MCW's floor is definitely much lower than Burke's but I'm not sure where his realistic ceiling could be. Shaun Livingston?

And I also don't know that he will be more versatile. Burke is very likely to be much more valuable offensively. MCW should be more valuable defensively but it's hard to tell by how much. All we know right now is that he has great hands as far as steals. He hasn't been exposed to typical NBA defensive situations.

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Burke is safer with higher upside.

7. IamHobbs

IamHobbs Member

MCW should not be a top 15 pick. His numbers, as crappy as they are (less than 40% fg? Ugh), were even worse when he played against legit college competition. It would be one thing if he was 18 years old, but he's the age of some seniors. He is not a good prospect.

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Trey Burke and it's not close. Burke should be going number 1 in this draft, but the team with the pick has Kyrie Irving. Orlando should take him at number 2.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I wish Burke slipped to Dallas or Jazz, tbh. Unlikely. But it would be good for him. Big minutes right away, good teammates to take some pressure off, good organizations.

10. Big Red Machine

Agreed.

MCW is not ready for the NBA. He can't shoot and he turns the ball over too much.

IMO, Burke's floor is Jameer Nelson. The team that drafts MCW in the lottery will be making a mistake.

11. Chamillionaire

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Burke > McCollum > Schröder > Carter-Williams

Lorenzo Brown, a 2nd round PG prospect, is nearly identical to MCW as a prospect.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sure he needs to improve his shooting, but the guy averaged 3 steals, over 7 assists and 5 rebounds. He's a 6'6" pg that can be a lock-down defender. MCW all the way.

14. CertifiedTroll

I would take McCollum over Burke. I really can't see Burke becoming a solid starter in the NBA because he is short, and if Peyton Siva can lock you down in a game.. Hate to see what happens when an NBA PG guards you.

15. IamHobbs

IamHobbs Member

Uh, Burke scored 24 points on 64% shooting against Louisville.

16. SK34

SK34 Member

It wasn't Peyton Siva who shut him down. It was the team defense that Louisville had. He was doing great against most competition in the tourney. He reminds me of Kenna although I think Kemba is way better.

17. SK34

SK34 Member

You're right. He was 7-11 and went for 24 PTA. 3 assists, 4 rebounds and 4 TOs.

18. IamHobbs

IamHobbs Member

He had some other ****ty games in the tournament though. He's not a sure thing but I do think he has a floor of something like Jameer Nelson. MCW I can see anywhere from all-star to out of the league in 3 years (and I think the latter is more likely given how many holes are in his game).

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That's an interesting topic as well. I just don't think McCollum is a point guard, so kind of hard to compare. To me he's OJ Mayo, just not as physically strong. But his intangibles look much better than Mayo's -- character, leadership.
    I think I'd take him over Burke as well. But i wouldn't expect him to be a point guard, unless it's next to a Harden type ball dominant player.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Which current player does Burke most resemble? I don't know much about him but on face value reminds me alot of brooks