1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Beasley's Minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CertifiedTroll, Apr 11, 2016.

?

Beasley's Minutes

1. 0-15

10 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. 15-20

32 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. 20-25

56 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. 25+

94 vote(s)
    45.9%
  5. In JBB I trust

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Keith Jones is a boss.

8 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Neither one of our PF'S are better than the other defensively. And Beasley has been very serviceable on defense.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, yes, I know that you probably think what you are saying is true....then again you thought that Terrence Jones was the best PF on the roster not long ago THIS season so your player evaluation skills are questionable at best.

DMo and Smith (when healthy and motivated) are far and away better defenders than Beasley. If you can't see that....well I can't help you.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Bobby, I feel like the problem is that you are imagining last seasons DMO and Josh Smith. DMO has been pretty bad this season in all aspects due to the bad back. Josh Smith is a walking turnover and brings zero energy and minimal effort. I think Harden and Howard turn the ball over enough as it is.

Beasley has not been turning the ball over, while scoring efficiently at high volume in limited minutes and playing decent defense. No one is saying he is a stud defensively, but he's far from this walking door mat like you're making him out to be. HTownBaller is right, all of our PF's have been around the same defensively THIS SEASON.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get that's what you think the problem is. IMO the problem is that you are greatly overrating Beasley AND not realizing that DMo really hasn't been bad overall this season. Sure he started out the season bad, but he's by far our best option at PF right now and that's not really a recent development.

Beasley is an athletic chucker, which excites some people when they are making shots and light up the box score, but others see the godawful defense and see the games when the shots aren't falling but keep getting throw up there.

When you play DMo and Smith at PF, you are doing so for defensive purposes because they are by far the best defensive PF's on the roster. If you guys can't see that....well I can't help you.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

What godawful defense from Beasley? I'm clearly missing it. I'm "greatly" overrating Beasleys defense by saying he's been okay? And DMo hasn't been all that bad? Well that's what Beasley has been...not all that bad. Except DMO's offense has been bad while Beasley has had 53% eFG compared to DMOs 48. Beasleys 22.4 PER compared to DMO's 11.5 PER. And just a heads up, Beasley, Josh Smith and DMO all have 0.3 DWS. TJones has the highest of our PF rotation with 0.7DWS. I know that's not everything, but that's there.

I'd rather have Beasley out there missing shots instead of playing Jason Terry and Corey Brewer 30+ mpg wouldn't you?

1 person likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just proving what I was saying. If you can't realize that Beasley plays really poor defensethen I can't help you. Quoting PER as if it means anything at all whatsoever doesn't help you either nor does quoting a compilation stat like win shares to compare players who have played significantly different minutes.

It's okay, we really can just end it here.

7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

if KJ "destroys spacing" i can't imagine what brewer does to it.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Healthy and Motivated bwhahaha, man Beasley has been a damn addition and deserves more minutes than both of them. And no they are not, if you would take your Dmo and Smith shades off, you would see Beasley is better right now.

And dude you're the one that really needs help around here. You're blind love for Dmo is unreal, unrealistic and unruly.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There is a reason why Beasley was in China . If we are trying to play fundamentally solid ball then both Dmo and smith are better options at the 4 . Sure give him brews minutes , but that just ain't gonna happen . Brewer has better familiarity with smith and terry and everyone else . At this point in the season you just pray he can play better.

10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If you can't prove how is better at defense with anything other than "because I said so," why would you even attempt to argue with anyone?

Not trying to argue here, but "because I said so" has worked exactly never, and will continue to never work, when trying to make a point.

My eye test also tells me that beastly has had about the same defensive impact as our other PF's, stats also back this up. Did you ever consider that maybe you are missing something that pretty much everyone else sees, and can be backed up with statistics?

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no. Michael Beasly has been playing solid ever since he arrived. He has been playing better than D-Mo(who is hurt)and Beasley is a better free throw shooter than Josh Smith. We need Beasley to play heavy minutes and start. And you actually think Corey Brewer is a better option Than Beasley? @$$ h***!

12. Eric00009

Eric00009 Member

I agree harden and beez should play together at all times on the court there pick and roll could be deadly and I think beez and Howard pick and roll as well

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you notice, I'm not trying to argue with people that can't figure out on their own that Beasley is a poor defender or that DMo and Smith are better defenders. There's no point.

When it comes to stats, defensive stats are not the best to begin with and the sample size is too small for them to be that accurate even if they were, but check DRPM if you just really want a number to hold on to. Honestly though, you should be able to see Beasley being out of position and just playing weak defense if you watch. Part of that is his lack of familiarity with the other players on the team but part of that is just him not being a good defender.

Honestly I don't feel like arguing with people who can't see that for themselves. I also don't argue with people who can't see that Corey Brewer is not a good player. Those kinds of basic things either you get or you don't get.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dude all of them are not stout defenders. But you can't tell me that whose better than the other when all of them are so inconsistent in that department.

15. Mr. Motiejunas

I think Beasley should get all of Brewer's minutes. My Playoff Rotation would be something like

Bev-Terry
    Harden-KJ
    Ariza-Beasley
    Dmo-Smoove
    Dwight-Capela

Obviously Harden would also play several more minutes than Terry with the 2nd unit in this scenario since him and Beasley work the PnR beautifully.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Actually I can, and have before. Really it's obvious to those who know what they are talking about but I do understand how some people struggle with what should be obvious. It's why I'm not concerned about arguing the point with those people.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think both options are subpar , but I'd give the nod to Brewer based on the slight chance he can suddenly right the ship . He at least has experience playing with our guys and sometimes improves their energy level .

The problem with evaluating Beasley is the small sample size . " ever since he arrived ." **** ... In limited minutes against backups Harrell has looked amazing , why don't we play him 35 minutes a game ?? Beasley is doing a few things , he's coming off the bench , taking lots of shots , and hitting them at respectable rates vs other bench players ( for the most part .)

I don't like JB , I don't necessarily agree with his decisions . But Dmo has been on a positive trend lately , maybe he is rounding into form ? Maybe smith was hurt ?? And now he's not . I would give minutes to those players who were here last year , who we know had an established role with the team ... Vs Beasley ... Who I agree has looked good at times , but also looks bad at times . Beasley in most games has been a net negative ... Doubt the +\- stay all you want , but when it's consistent result then it more than likely points to something . Maybe that we have a shifty bench ? Either way , Beasley didn't elevate that bench .

There is one game left . Then the playoffs , we don't have time to interstate Beasley . Frankly right now he is too one dimensional to be a factor in the playoffs . Smith gives you a better chance at creating some ball movement along with scoring if he's hot . Dmo the same . Both can play defense within a scheme better .

Brewer eh , he is what he is . Crazy prediction , he will break out in the playoffs .

18. Mr. Motiejunas

Matt Bullard said Josh Smith was outplaying Beasley in practice during the broadcast last night.

19. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Advanced stats show why Beasley isn't playing much.

NBA.com Players Advanced Stats between 3/5/16 and 4/11/16
    Player [OffRtg] [DefRtg] [ NetRtg]
    Team [109.1] [105.6] [3.5]
    Beasley [101.0] [111.6] [-10.6]
    DMO [111.7] [99.4] [12.3]

You can argue that DMO plays mostly with the starters and that's true but when Beasley plays with the starters the team doesn't do well.

NBA.com Lineups Advanced Stats between 3/5/16 and 4/11/16
    5 man lineup [min] [OffRtg] [DefRtg] [NetRtg]
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Howard, Beasley [67] [101.6] [122.2] [-20.6]
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Howard, DMO [220] [115.3] [96.8] [18.5]
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Howard, Brewer [66] [108.9] [111.1] [-2.1]
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Howard, Smith [14] [113.4] [105.8] [7.5]

Swap Capela for Howard
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Capela, Beasley [18] [79.1] [114.0] [-34.9]
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Capela, DMO [26] [114.9] [98.0] [16.9]

2 man lineup [min] [OffRtg] [DefRtg] [NetRtg]
    Harden, Beasley [242] [99.6] [110.6] [-11.0]
    Harden, DMO [275] [114.4] [98.8] [15.6]

5 man lineup wins only[min] [OffRtg] [DefRtg] [NetRtg]
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Howard, Beasley [22] [159.1] [111.8] [47.3]
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Howard, DMO [117] [121.8] [96.6] [25.2]
    * Great OffRtg w/Beasley in wins, but still poor DefRtg compared to DMO lineup.

NBA.com Lineups Advanced Stats between 3/15/16 and 4/11/16
    5 man lineup loses only[min] [OffRtg] [DefRtg] [NetRtg]
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Howard, Beasley [46] [74.9] [127.1] [-52.3]
    Ariza, Beverley, Harden, Howard, DMO [104] [107.5] [97.0] [10.4]

NBA.com ON/OFF Court Advanced between 3/5/16 and 4/11/16
    ON Court Player [min] [OffRtg] [DefRtg] [NetRtg]
    Team [960] [109.1] [105.6] [3.5]
    Beasley [346] [101.0] [111.6] [-10.6]
    DMO [293] [111.7] [99.4] [12.3]

OFF Court Player [min] [OffRtg] [DefRtg] [NetRtg]
    Team [960] [109.1] [105.6] [3.5]
    Beasley [614] [113.7] [102.2] [11.5]
    DMO [667] [107.9] [108.3] [-0.4]

No doubt Beasley is a great scorer, but like Kobe the last two years, his team is better both on offense and defense when he is off the floor.

Most people don't give DMO credit for being a very good team defender even with his low rebounding #'s. He's an excellent perimeter pnr defender because of his height/length and mobility.

Why was the 2014-2015 team ranked #6 in DefRtg? DMO played 2037 minutes(3rd most behind Harden & Ariza). This year he has only played 532 minutes(#11 on the team) and were ranked #22 in DefRtg.

3 people like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And that should pretty much silence this thread forever.