1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Beasley's Minutes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CertifiedTroll, Apr 11, 2016.

?

Beasley's Minutes

1. 0-15

10 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. 15-20

32 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. 20-25

56 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. 25+

94 vote(s)
    45.9%
  5. In JBB I trust

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Keith Jones is a boss.

8 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. CertifiedTroll

A few months back, I may have made this thread in a drunkin stupor. But today, I honestly come forth baffled that Beasley is not getting more minutes. Do you agree or disagree?

If this topic is boring this could also be another great thread for talking about how JBB stinks.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Beasley is great for minutes where you don't want any defense to be played but are in the mood for some volume shooting.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You and the OP should swap usernames.

Beasley has been one of the season's only bright spots.

Besides, with him on the team, his childhood great buddy KD is sure to come to Houston now!!

Amirite?

(sound of crickets)

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice poll but there's no question. :grin: what are you asking? I take it how many minutes Beasley should be playing?

#4 Os Trigonum, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Him and DMo need to split the minutes. No Josh SMith or Brewer/Ariza playing PF.

6. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

If you avergae 27 and 10 per 36... You dhould be olaying 36 minutes a game... Smh jbb.

7. CertifiedTroll

I understand the sentiment which is why I wanted to ask to see how everyone felt :).

From an "eye-test" he looks like he scores like a mad man and plays mediocre (but trying) defense. I don't even know what stats are tbh, so my logic is based off emotion and things Charles Barkley says.

8. roksoer

roksoer Member

Beasley is a competent defender and he plays hard and crashes the boards hard, he also makes the smart foul.

It's not like the team plays defense without him anyway.

9. CertifiedTroll

My names not Bobby.

10. hakeemthagreat

Said Beasley is only good for scoring but no defense, and then says we should play DMo (who REALLY doesn't play defense or rebound):rolleyes:

I've come to conclusion that some of you don't watch that many Rockets games, you just form an opinion based off a player's perception or criticisms 4-5 years ago. I've watched Beasley's game closely and he definitely plays defense. Not sure where you're pulling this from

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I don't really understand why you wouldn't keep one of either Harden or Beasley on the floor as much as possible. I've stopped trying to make sense of JB's decisions, though. So there's that.

ETA: Put me in the camp of those who think Beasley's individual defense is better than advertised. He isn't quite the sieve many were describing when we signed him.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't know how many minutes Beasley should play, but I do know that anytime Bickerstaff should be slapped anytime he lets Brewer get more minutes than him.

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is the most appropriate post Ive ever seen, lol.

14. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Dmo plays D, if u watched him play closely, then u should know he's always in the right position on defense end. Gotta work on the reb tho

15. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Beasley's min should go up and I do not understand why it's been decreasing lately. He has a great mid range game, he rebounds, and I have not seen any lapses on defense since he has been a Rocket. I really think if given the opportunity Beasley can be Harden's sidekick. (Maybe a pipe dream)

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I am of the view that the superstar player you need next to Harden, at least offensively, is a PF. Someone in the mold of a Blake Griffin is best.

Why? Because that type of player should have some semblance of an outside game to create spacing, and to be able to receive a past on a PnR 15 feet+ outside of the paint and be able to do something with it... whereas a center, classically, won't have that skill-set.

This is, in my view, why the Rockets offense has clicked historically when any of the PFs were playing well - see last year with DMo, see last year especially with Smith.

All that said, that PF needs to be ok defensively, too. Beasley certainly seems like a subpar defender, but that's just the eye test.

I'm curious as to the lineup math. Meaning, how is Beasley's +/- looking with himself, when he plays in a 2 man combo with Harden, three man with Harden and Ariza, or with Dwight, etc. Looking here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/beaslmi01/lineups/2016/

He obviously doesn't have a great +/- and he doesn't seemt o play particularly better with Harden, or anyone. He's actually played twice as many minutes with the starters (PBev, Harden, Ariza, Howard) as any other lineup but is -26 per 100 possessions in that lineup.

At the end of the day, I'm in favor of keeping him, but only at the right price and it certainly doesn't matter if he isn't put in the right situations to succeed otherwise. Meaning he needs to be a 20 mpg bench player but with the right coaching, chemistry and teammates in those 20 mpg.

Otherwise it doesn't matter how bright of a spot he might be, he won't be meaningful to winning in any way as he hasn't been at pretty much every NBA stop in his career thus far.

All that said, it's hard to judge anything on this ****-show of a season. Beasley's 2 man combination with Dwight Howard, despite 170 minutes together on the court, has the worst plus minus of any Beasley 2 man combo, at -22.7 points per 100 possessions. Whereas switching out Dwight for Clint and that +/- per 100 possessions becomes just -3.6 (on a still meaningful 130 minutes together).

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Beasley should start and be around 35 minutes. His minutes should be staggered with Harden after the first few minutes so that he or Harden is on the floor at the same time. They should start and finish together and constantly run the PNR between the two. Beasley has earned that playing time.

1 person likes this.
  18. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Amen brother!

1 person likes this.
  19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

It's too ridiculous, u guys think u understand how much time a player should play.
    U have rights to expect the coach to give a player some minutes, but nobody can understand how much time a player will play in games

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly. and minutes are an average, they are game-dependent, matchup-dependent, etc. There is a good argument for including Beasley in the regular rotation, but it will have to wait until next year when we have a coach who knows what a regular rotation is. ;)