1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Beasley...Character issues?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Matt78777, May 21, 2008.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I keep on seeing stuff about people questioning Beasley's character and work ethic. Chad Ford wrote today that "Stories still swirl about his offcourt antics in high school."

Does anyone know what these antics were?

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I heard he killed a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

On a more serious note, I keep hearing about these rumors without actually hearing any of the alleged rumors myself. I think I may do some digging. If I find anything I'll be back with it.

3. Williamson

Apparently he went to seven schools in five states in five years. He also apparently signed his name (with permanent marker) on a Headmaster's car at one of those schools.

Also, I've found several articles that talk about how immature he is and how he spends his time watching nickelodeon, disney, teenage mutant ninja turtles and playing the nintendo wii.

That's all I could really find though and none of it seems to be that big a deal to me.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10592438/1

4. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

heh, it seems like they always scrutinize players these days and find "character issues". They said Amare had character issues too b/c he transfered to many schools.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member

Hmm... Sounds like he was acting like a teenager.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Makes me wonder what kind of character issues the media would have dug up if the internet had been so popular back in the day...

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've heard stuff like this about him since last Fall, but nothing really substantive.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Sounds like Rudy Gay Part II. We all know how that turned out, don't we?

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

there are still headmasters around? did he go to hogwarts or something?

just bounced around several high schools, not too surprised at that a lot of talented high school players transfer around to different high schools to get the best exposure to certain colleges or before(maybe still) NBA agents.

the other stuff isnt that big of a deal to me watching tv and playing video games big woop there are a lot of nba players who still probably do that.

obviously its different if he is doing that instead of showing up to practice or a game, but on his free time no big deal

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It isn't like Rudy Gay at all. Beasley's so-called character issues are all off the court. Gay's negatives were on the court (his regular disappearing acts). Disappearing while playing isn't something Beasley has ever been accused of. Unlike Rudy Gay, Beasley has the mentality to impose his will on games every chance he gets.

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

If these are character issues then they call anything character issues. If he didn't have any issues in College then these issues shouldn't be brought up.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

i did notice they compared him to Derrick Coleman just before the lottery.

they were talking about his game - i think...

13. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Yeah I saw that too, but I didn't know if that was his game or his "offcourt antics."

I'd rather him play wii all day than go out partying all night, at least he's rested for the game. Hell, he might even get himself into shape with the new wii fit!

I'm with you guys, these character issues sound dull. If I were a GM I'd be scared if he regularly did drugs, drank, or fathered children in high school. Even so, many NBA players have survived those problems, no reason why he can't either.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I like how these teenage kids are being held to a standard that many adult men can not measure up to. I'd be more worried if the kid wasn't getting into some minor mischief now and again. To me that says he is/was a normal, teenage boy. If he was known as a loner or someone who was overly shy I would be more concerned. Eddie Griffin comes to mind.

If he pulls a Kwame and is smashing cakes in the faces of random strangers at 24 years old then I'll stand corrected.

15. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

For Beasley, It's a Jumping Point

I remember reading this article a year ago; I would think that as an NBA GM, you have to think about anyone who doesn't take the game seriously, or gets wrapped up in off-court antics as being somewhat of a risk. Imagine if he'd been challenged to a street race instead of an autograph contest; not to mention that he'll have much less savory people hanging around him in the NBA. Is he mature enough to stay focused on Basketball, especially when he moves out of Manhattan, Kansas into either Chicago or Miami?

As far as I'm concerned, I didn't hear a peep out of him at K-State, and that's good enough for me. I was worried about him coming out of HS, just because he'd played at this Basketball factory just to get his grades up, and in the game I saw him play live, he was definitely looked like the 5th best player on the court (Admittedly, the top 4 were Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington, Gerald Henderson and Nolan Smith, but still, he should have dominated, and he was passive). I'd draft him #1, and would worry less about the character issues than whether has the capability to make everyone around him play better, like Rose does.

16. Williamson

Good article. It's funny that he's just a goofball and that has teams seriously worried. We're not talking about drugs or violence here. We're not even talking about serious emotional issues. All they're complaining about is that he's a goofy kid.

I just don't get it. I mean, Shaq is how old now and how much more mature is he?

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

That, his age, and how all his immediate family members were serving time.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I think Beasley is being overlooked because of all this point guard hype imo, I think if you compare this guy with Durant, Beasley is alot better and has the potential to maybe reach a status of player as Paul Pierce

19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You mean he's watching Nickelodeon? Playing wii?

What a thug.

My god, the horror, the horror...

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't really see any character red flags, in terms of trouble, but I'm not sure he has that killer instinct.

So the Derrick Coleman comparisons are really pretty good, in terms of his game and potentially his on-court attitude. It's a bad Coleman comparison though, in that: (1) Coleman did have some off-court trouble, at Syracuse and then repeated minor "disturbing the peace" and wrangling with cop types of things in the 1990s, and (2) Coleman had a very established college career, taking the Orangemen to the title game as a freshman and winning several big east titles.

Coleman averaged 16 pts and 9 rebounds over a 13-14 year career, which is not bad at all. But he was never seen as giving an intense effort, and as a number one pick, is considered a bust by most people. A few 20-10 seasons early on, an all-star game appearance, but not a leader.

Beasley, I would think, could achieve this, but maybe he's much more. Very tough call after one season at K-State.