1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miami Heat : Vets seeking to sign, phones ringing off hook

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Octavianus, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-derek-fisher-s071010,0,5717817.story

Seems like they will have a decent bench after all...

"Arison said the team's phones have been ringing off the hook with veterans seeking to sign on, even though it would mean taking the veteran's minimum of roughly $1 million for 2010-11"

"In addition to Heat President Pat Riley and team owner Micky Arison meeting Saturday with Los Angeles Lakers championship point guard Derek Fisher at the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Miami, there also is the possibility of bringing back 3-point shooting forward James Jones, who took a buyout from the team last month"

"The Heat will have approximately $4 million in remaining salary-cap space after it completes an anticipated singing of Washington Wizards free-agent swingman Mike Miller"

"Several other veterans also are seeking to sign on with Riley's revamped creation, including former Florida International University standout Raja Bell and Cavaliers free-agent center Zydrunas Ilgauskas"

"In the end, with minimal salary-cap space left after the Wade, James and Bosh signings, the Heat could have one of its deepest rosters in years, with Heat free-agent Udonis Haslem considering a minimal deal to return"

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Haslem is leaving a lot of money on the table if he's taking the minimum.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

the desperados are coming at an alarming rate. Just as I expected ;)

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Of course they are.

For all the b****ing and whining and moaning, everyone forgets this is a game. The chance to play with a team full of some of the best players in the league, in what's sure to be a season selling out arenas like they are on some World Tour, oh and clubbing and living it up in South Beach while they're at it?

These veteran guys who have been around are going to eat that up.

5. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Its one of the reasons they traded there draft picks, was to reward him next year with more money.
    Also, rumours are they are trying to get Miller to take less money for Haslem.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

time to say, "i told ya so".....contender overnight.

7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Honestly if I were playing in the NBA, in my prime as well, I would probably sign with the Heat for the vet's minimum if that meant getting a few rings for a few years. I wouldn't want to be in Adam Morrison's position (suit warming the seats for the Lakers) but I could see a good amount of players signing up with the Heat just to finally lift the trophy. Idk about joining them if Juwan Howard signs with them though, that albatross is pretty hard to get past if you wanna win it all. :cool: If they could resign Haslem and somehow get Bell and Z that'd be a pretty respectable team that could lock up the East for a few years. It remains to be seen on how James/Wade/Bosh'll all share the ball and how much chemistry plays a part in the Heat's cohesion but my guess is, they'll beat a significant amount of bottom dwellers just with those three dominating the ball. So many teams to watch out for next season, should be rather interesting. I'm keeping my eye on the Thunder, Heat, Wizards and of course the Rockets. :)

8. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

you know McGrady has to be one of those calling.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Mike Miller was making 8M a year and the Heat want to sign him for 5M, Haslem was making 6M a year and they want him to sign for the vet min. Riles luck is going to run out of luck in trying to sign these guys, they can't eat rings.

If Riles does sign these guys for that money, he is the messiah.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I bet you dollars he didn't call and is wondering why they aren't calling him.

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Yawn, call me when these losers actually have some guys.

You'd want to waste the prime of your career for a measley million dollars a years in the NBA? Please. The Heat will get washed up guys, like Juwan Howard and Shaq and maybe Z. They won't get anyone young playing with the vet's min, especially with the CBA.

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I can see how that conversation went:

"Heya Coach, this is Tmac..."

"Click"

"Uh, hello...hello?"

13. choujie

choujie Member

Those vets are one year rental type,most likely.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you're probably right about this.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ya, the players making veterans min are probably not in their prime, ie an Artest, an Odom, or even a Morrision.

Kobe says have your veterans min players, I'll keep my two time champions.

16. today

today Contributing Member

What's to stop Lebron from promising these guys endorsement money? I'm sure that he could negotiate some lucrative deals for each of these guys to supplement their income since they are taking a paycut. Does he have a "Lebron Corp" yet? He could just pay them an exorbitant amount to do a one-time commercial or something.

Are there rules in the NBA against this?

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

...then Yao and Scola would dominate all of those guys. ;)

18. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Miller has all but signed, and will get around 5m a year. So he will be on there roster the coming season.
    Haslem is very loyal to Miami, and if he stays on this year, will get a pay rise next year.

19. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Who needs roles players like that, when you have Bosh Wade Bron in your team.
    Miller, Haslam and maybe Fisher as your role players, and your doing pretty well.

20. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Even if there are rules against it, who is gonna stop them?

LeBrick is Stern's lovechild and as long as they earn revenue Stern aint gonna do squat!