1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miami Finally will rebuild and let Mourning go.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by carlit0, Apr 17, 2002.

1. carlit0

carlit0 Member

NO ZO, NO MO- Heat head coach Pat Riley told media that he would meet with his star center Alonzo Mourning this summer, and offer to trade the big man to a team closer to winning a title, Mourning who is approaching the last year of his contract becomes excessively attractive for trade purposes, and with the Heat angling for cap space in 2003, the future for Zo doesn't look bright. Riley was quick to say "As far as I'm concerned, Zo is here for the entirety.'' but added "We'll have a very long talk this summer about everything, about his future, about how he feels. He wants to win. The question is, what if the opportunity came along where he could be placed somewhere else where he had a better chance.". The Heat have already begun preparations for the draft, having had scouts out for most of the season, both domestically and in Europe. The Heat may only be off the floor for a few weeks after the season ends for them tonight, as they are planning some light workouts with potential-type players, such as former Heat player Tang Hamilton, who is expected to be in Miami for the duration of the summer for mini-camp work outs. Heat players will not be 'required' to participate but most who want a roster spot will.

http://www.bskball.com/Rumors.shtml

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I wonder if the Heat would trade Zo to Dallas or Portland? Dallas might go for it (Raef + Van Exel) if Miami throws in this year's lotto pick.

I hope Riley finally concedes he can't stand pat. Damn, that dude's stubborn.

3. TexasG

TexasG Member

I would like to see him end up in Dallas but not at the NVE's expense. NVE has been much better than I expected, and with Nash's injury history, and habit of getting worn out he's perfect in Dallas. I would trade Raef, draft picks, and cash for him though. I'd even throw in Greg Buckner.

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

The source saying he's gone has no credibility - Bskball is more like BS-ball when it comes to putting out stories.

There was a news article, however, where Riley was quoted as where he'd talk to Zo and get his feelings about the future of the franchise. That does in no way mean he's leaving. Plus, with his $20m deal, he's almost impossible to trade.

If I recall correctly, his deal ends after next year as well - so with the Heat trying to make a run for free agents in Su03, why would they trade Zo like that?

Losing him makes no sense for the Heat.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I had recently heard opposing announcers (Charlotte's I think) mention that Miami and Riley are going into a warp speed rebuild after the Heat had recently been eliminated from the playoffs. I curiously looked up Zo's contract wondering if the Rocks could obtain him...no way.... 1 year remaining at $20m.
    (Zo, Eddie Jones and Brian Grant make nearly $42m among them). :eek:

If I were the team trading for Zo, I'd want him resigned by Miami for a few years as a security factor. And I'd take out an insurance policy similar to what the Suns did on Hardaway and the Nets on Jayson Williams.

VanExel will make $10m next season but LaFrentz is a restricted FA (the Mavs can only go to $5m to resign him - kind of like Marc Jackson this year) so I don't think S&T is an option.

All in all, this looks pretty formidable (though expensive) to me:

1) Nash / AJ
    2) Finley / Abdul-Wahad / Griffin
    3) Finley / Nowitski / Griffin
    4) Nowitski / Najera
    5) Mourning

Plus the draft and the MCE!

#5 GATER, Apr 17, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2002
  6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Actually, Dallas has LaFrentz's "Full Bird Rights". They can go over the cap & sign him to the max, if they want to. So, a combo of Van Exel & LaFrentz (resigned for $10 mill) might work. That'd give Miami a new starting 5 of:

C: LaFrentz
    PF: Grant
    SF: ?
    SG: Jones
    PG: Van Exel

That'd give Miami $40+ million tied up in 4 players, instead of just 3. That's not a bad deal, but they could do better.

The ideal scenario for Miami, would be to trade for a player with an expiring contract of about $10-15 million & another promising player or two to make up the difference.

For example: send ZO($20,633,400) to Indiana in exchange for Reggie Miller's expiring contract($12,046,473), Brad Miller($4,800,000-also expiring), & Jonathan Bender($3,226,745). Or, you could substitute Artest & Brezec for Bender.

That would allow Miami to get B.Miller & either, Bender or Artest/Brezec to start the future foundation of the team. Otherwise, I agree with mfclark, it would make no sense to trade him for like contracts.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It would make sense for Miami to deal Zo for LaFrentz and NVE (well, except for NVE's big contract) since Riley has such disdain for the rebuilding process.

It's a possible trade, considering Mark Moneybags Cuban is bleeding red and has started to realize that even he should curb his spending.

If Miami drafted, say, Caron Butler with its draft pick, then they'd be looking purty good.

The ? being, do you trade for Zo, knowing about his health problems?

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

Cuban's not losing that much money and with a good team on the court, he'd rather spend the money to improve his team than continually blow it up.

Plus, since all other teams curbed their spending, the luxury tax won't kick in - as one ESPN writer put it, they subsidized his spending. He may have a lot of money, but he's smart too.

And he knows his team is a lot better with Van Exel and LaFrentz...but so is Miami's. If only for sentimental reasons, Miami wouldn't do it and instead focus cap money to 2003.