1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miami Dolphins roll out red carpet for Tim Tebow

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Oct 10, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ns-roll-out-red-carpet-for-tebow-on-gator-day

Three months ago, when many expected Tim Tebow to be the Broncos' starting quarterback job before Kyle Orton's play in training camp dictated otherwise, the business side of the Dolphins' organization had an idea.

They'd honor the University of Florida -- located 325 miles north of Sun Life Stadium -- on the day Tebow's Broncos were scheduled to play Miami on Oct. 23. But nobody could have imagined the drama that would unfold since.

As it turns out, Tebow is likely to make his first start on that day, resulting in what could be as dramatic a game as anyone could expect from two teams with losing records.

If the Dolphins' business side has its way, Tebow's faithful will scoop up tickets, which have been packaged as part of a Gator Day experience for $115 per person, as they head to Sun Life Stadium to watch their old quarterback play. They'll dress in the Gators' orange and blue (which happen to be the Broncos' colors), and they'll cheer for Tebow (who will be trying to defeat the Dolphins). And they'll do all of this in the same venue where the Miami Hurricanes play their homes games.

Aw-kward.

True, two other NFL teams (the Bucs and the Jaguars) play their home games closer to the University of Florida than the Dolphins do. True, the University of Miami's campus is a 30-minute drive down Interstate 95. But the Hurricanes weren't interested in partaking in a similar day of honor when the Dolphins' organization reached out to them -- so the team instead continued to move forward with the Gator Day event.

Whether it will be a success is a matter of how you'd define it. In terms of ticket sales, the timing of Tebow's ascent couldn't be much better. In terms of the current state of the Dolphins' organization, it couldn't be much worse.

Four Gators -- Tebow, Derrick Harvey, Marcus Thomas and Mike Pouncey -- will be a part of the Dolphins' celebration. All but Pouncey play for the opposing team. Alas, it looks like Tebow won't have to worry about facing a raucous crowd on the road for his anticipated 2011 debut as the Broncos' starter.

Instead, he'll play in a place that might support him nearly as much as crowds in Denver or Gainesville. So Gators fans, get out your No. 15 jerseys. It might just be Tebow Time. In Denver. And in Miami. However strange it might seem.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Is Tebow really all that beloved in the city of Miami? Remember, the game is not in Gainesville or Jacksonville.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

4. tinman

Supporting Member

let's see how many tebow jerseys show up when they play.

Tebow vs Sage Rosenfels right? Isn't Hene out for the year?

5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

He's really not.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Reminds me of when that sucky boy from UT came to town with the Oilers and gig'd us.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nothing like that at all.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

they actually talked about this on espn first take about three or four weeks ago when it first came out.

bottom line is the dolphins have to get fans in that stadium someway somehow

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Matt Moore is the backup QB for Miami. And yes, Henne is out for the year.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm guessing since Miami stinks now, they are in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

Getting rid of Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams, two power runners for Reggie Bush?

bad idea.

11. SacTown

SacTown Member

It's Tebow time. Broncos announced that he will be the starter going forward. I know its popular to hate on him, but I think he's going to be successful. I really do. Tebow magic. From Wikipedia:

Tebow was born in Makati City in the Philippines, the son of Pamela Pemberton Tebow, daughter of a U.S. Army colonel, and Robert Ramsey Tebow, a pastor, who were serving as Christian Baptist missionaries at the time.[1][5][6][7][8] While pregnant, Pam suffered a life-threatening infection with a pathogenic amoeba. Because of the drugs used to rouse her from a coma and to treat her dysentery, the fetus experienced a severe placental abruption. Doctors had expected a stillbirth and recommended an abortion to protect her life,[1] but she remained undaunted and refused having abortion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tebow

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not a Tebow hater at all, but I doubt very much he will be a successful starting QB.

13. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Im rooting for the guy.

14. SacTown

SacTown Member

He's not going to be Aaron Rodgers and I've been one of his biggest critics but after watching him in that 2nd half on Sunday I think there really may be something special about the guy & I think he can come in there and win ball games. Not pretty, but he can win.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I said that about Roethlisberger, for many of the same reasons that Tebow is being criticized. If Roethlisberger can do it for the criminal element of the world, surely Tebow can do it for Jesus.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They chanted "Tebow" at a Dolphins preseason game.

17. SacTown

SacTown Member

Tebow is basically the king of Florida.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

but you think david carr should still be the starter for the texans. pathetic dude, really.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Being such a huge contrast from Kyle Orton, he caught them unprepared. When teams gauge him and game-plan accordingly, Tebow won't do well. It may take a few games for "the book" on him to be written.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I hope Tebow does well. He's a great leader. His style is unorthodox, but I hope he can deliver as a starting QB. Too many haters don't even give him a chance.

Even if he fails, let him fail. Don't fail him before he even has a full year under his belt as a starter.