1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miami Dolphins: Dave Wannstedt to resign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Finally....it only took a terrible start to make this decision. :eek:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1918897

DAVIE, Fla. -- It appears Dave Wannstedt has coached his last game for the Miami Dolphins.

With his team at 1-8 -- worst in the NFL -- Wannstedt is expected to resign Tuesday, ESPN's Hank Goldberg and The Miami Herald reported late Monday night.

Before this season, Wannstedt never won less than 9 games with the Dolphins.

Two South Florida television stations also reported the upcoming resignation, while a third TV station, WTVJ, said Wannstedt already resigned.

Wannstedt met Monday night at the team's complex with owner Wayne Huizenga, who confirmed an announcement will be made Tuesday.

"Dave called me and we got together, but I'm not going to comment at this point," Huizenga said.

The Herald, citing anonymous club sources and an NFL source in its report, also said defensive coordinator Jim Bates will be named interim coach at a news conference Tuesday.

Bates has been an NFL assistant since 1991. His only head coaching experience came in 1985 with the USFL's San Antonio Gunslingers.

Wannstedt ends his five years in Miami with a 42-31 record. The Dolphins missed the playoffs the past two seasons after making them during Wannstedt's first two years.

It's unclear whether Wannstedt was forced to resign midway through a dismal season that began with the retirement of star running back Ricky Williams and has left the team with the NFL's worst record.

The timing of the move wasn't surprising with the Dolphins beginning their bye week. The Dolphins' next game is Nov. 21 at the Seattle Seahawks.

Wannstedt's departure comes after Miami blew two lead and lost 24-23 Sunday to the Arizona Cardinals, who ended a 17-game road losing streak. The Dolphins endured their most lopsided defeat of the season last Monday, 41-14 against the archrival New York Jets.

Wannstedt barely avoided being fired after last season, when Miami failed to reach the playoffs for the second year in a row. Huizenga decided to keep Wannstedt but stripped him of authority over personnel decisions.

It is not yet known whether Wannstedt will collect the remaining two years of his contract.

2. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I guess he can't take anymore after losing to the Cardinals at home. Cardinals broke a 17 game road losing streak.

3. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Question now is who moves into the head coaching position now in Miami. I know one name that will be floating around is Spurrier and I think that Wannstedt's resignation has something to do with that.

4. Houstonrocketss

this is sad, blame Rickey:p

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

OHH! OHH! do Jim Haslet next do Jim Haslet next!!!

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Spurrier stunk up D.C. He had no comprehension of the pro game and no interest in learning. Why would they want him at Miami?

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I always have liked Wannstedt. Too bad.

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

NIce guy, terrible coach. Thank goodness he is gone, now Rick Speilman (Dolphins GM) should be next. As a die hard Dolphin fan its been a tough couple of years, but now its time to clean house. Rumor has it in S Florida that the Fins will go after Saban of LSU....that would be sweet.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

"Welp, I guess that's the end of me."

10. keeley

keeley Contributing Member

Because "no comprehension of the pro game" would be an improvement over Wannstedt.

11. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

OJ lives there.

12. droxford

droxford Member

Agreed. I always felt like he was a poor coach.

-- droxford

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Make him the coach. The halfback slash would be offensive play #1.

14. Another Brother

:D

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Feel free to use it, AB. Just give me proper credit!

:D

16. Another Brother

Listen Thursday morning, I'm all over it!

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

Is that Bernie Lomax?

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

AB - what time are you on?