1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mgmt Discussed a System Change - More Ball Movement/Less Iso

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tc0330, Jun 18, 2019.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yep. Harden's Iso ruined Lin! We shouldve kept Lin and traded Harden.

vlaurelio likes this.
  2. chensu98

chensu98 Member

Lol, nobody is saying this. But you would be foolish to deny that Harden's ISO sort of stagnated Lin's development and limited the potential of the offense. Why else do you think there was a lot of discussion during that time that Harden was a ballhog?

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For those who say that ISO is our most efficient offense, well, even if it's true, it is always good to have multiple weapons. If the only offense you have is ISO, then it's that much easier for opponents to game plan against you in the playoffs. We saw that happened in the past two years against good defensive teams. Even if we could beat the Warriors this year, I am pretty sure we would have problems against Toronto's defense.

If it is caused by lack of talent, then it's on the front office.
    If it is caused by Harden not willing to play anything else, then it's on him.
    If it is caused by coaching, then it's on MDA.
    Or maybe it's all of the above.

Der Rabbi, topfive, UTSA2step and 4 others like this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Lin's development has been stagnated for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time now.

But be happy. He got a free ring.

Jontro, topfive and charlieaustin like this.
  5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

it is Morey's system they play, Not D'Antoni's

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It doesn't take a rocket scientist (pun intended) to figure out they need more ball-movement, pace, and plays AS OPTIONS come play-off time. To do that well during the playoffs, you have to put it in in training camp and run it sometimes during the season. Even if it means their Ortg in the regular season drops form 2nd to 4th or 5th.

Look at the GSW. Injuries aside, they were stymied by a box and one. A box and one. Because they didn't practice against it ever - and why would they. So you have to put the stuff in and work on it.

If they can make that change, and mix it into 30% ish of their half-court sets... to me that's both (1) a MUCH MUCH MUCH more enjoyable team to watch, and (2) a more versatile team deep into the playoffs less prone to scoring droughts.

AND... if they can make that change, to me, a guy like Jimmy Butler makes A LOT more sense.

carib, Der Rabbi, UTSA2step and 3 others like this.
  7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Anyone want to discuss WHAT the new play style will look like?

I've been going back to old videos of MDmA teams and watching how they play. I have to believe that an increase in pace would help us. Pushing the ball up faster would get more shots for everyone and everyone would be happier.

The plays I noticed with the old Suns teams:

Two Man Game
    -watching two players pass back and forth until they've broken the defense down
    -seems to cut off others from seeing the ball, but it's fun to watch two guys make two defenders look stupid

Post play
    -the post plays seem to just be a starting point for the offense, no real low post moves or anything
    -ball would go to the post then almost immediately out to the three point line
    -defender guarding the guy on the three point line gets thrown off with their eyes either on the player or on the ball because you can't do both
    -Both Harden and CP would play the post position really well
    -We could probably use at least one big man that excels from that position to make it a viable source of offense to use regularly (Butler and/or Horford? Maybe Love?)

More of the same ISO mixed in
    -You can't abandon something that works
    -So what if it didn't lead to a chip, if we used it less often it's still viable offense we need

Drive and kick
    -The Suns seemed to either drive with Nash or Barbosa to either corner of the paint, then whip the ball across to a man at the elbow
    -Ego would be great at this, Harden too
    -But ya gotta hit the shots to make this work

Jumpers from big men
    -Back then MDmA was putting big men at 15-18 feet away and forcing angles with this position
    -It seems like they're trying to get the ball to anyone else, but if left WIDE OPEN you pull the trigger
    -maybe it's time to let good jump shooters... shoot. From WHEREVER and whenever they're open.
    -This punishment for taking long twos has got to stop. Don't encourage it, but don't punish it. It's necessary sometimes and you have to take what defenses give you in cruchtime&playoffs.
    -75 foot jumpers have a better chance of going in than jacking with it until the 24 second clock goes off. (So why are we crippling our offense when teams figure us out.. use other spaces besides the rim and 3 point line)

Lakers and MDA:

I hate the Lakers

Lin and MDA:

I hate Jerry Lin.

(I'm kidding about not watching them. I just haven't had the time yet.)

Easy likes this.
  8. anchel

anchel Member

Can't read the article. If they want a change of style they are gonna need also a change of player personnel. If you have Tucker and Capela starting, you are not gonna play like the Warriors, neither the Raptors, neither the Spurs... I give for granted we don't believe in post-up play (at least with the big guys), but if you want for instance to make more use of Gordon off the ball you're gonna need big men who can pass and even dribble.

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Dear Buddha please be true.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I really hoped there be some more discussion. Maybe later? After you work on some ideas? Pretty please?

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Then they all had a good laugh.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

1. Lack of talent
    2. Coaching

13. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

A big part of coaching is player management and ego management. Isolation offense is a style that players accept as long as they win big, but when you don't win, it is almost inevitable that there will be complaints. The shelf life of running an isolation heavy offense is short, so this is nothing surprising.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This ship has already sailed. Harden has been really encouraged to iso since he got here under McHale and D'Antoni re-emphasized that by making Harden the point guard. The notion you're going to change his game now is just wishful thinking.

BeardNation13 and J.R. like this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

SMH.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I feel like once again way too many people over estimate how much we use isolation, now and in the past.

15/16 as a team we isolated on 9.4% of our total possessions. League low was 4.9% and high was 10.6%. 11th in points per isolation play.
    16/17 as a team we isolated on 9.4% of our total possessions. League low was 4.1% and high was 11.9%. 4th in points per isolation play.
    17/18 as a team we isolated on 14.5% of our total possessions. League low was 3.9% and high was us. 1st in points per isolation play.
    18/19 as a team we isolated on 20.4% of our total possessions. League low was 3.2% and high was us. 1st in points per isolation play.

I believe the 18/19 number is heavily skewed high because of all of the injuries sustained and how much we just gave it to Harden to save us. I think somewhere closer to 17/18 is probably more ideal.

Mr. Clutch and BallaDoc like this.
  17. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Any idea what the NBA avg is?

18. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Management discussed
    Harden walked in to the room
    And that was the end of the discussion

cheke64 likes this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

Do they have the roster and coaching talent to pull this off? Capela and Tucker are non-factors on offense outside of lobs and 3s respectively. That’s 2/5ths of the starting line up.

Russjr2 likes this.
  20. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Capela has become adept at the skip pass to the corner out of trap on Harden.

Guys will become good at passes they’re used to making.