1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mexico's Fox to OK drug decriminalization law

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Phi83, May 2, 2006.

1. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

Link

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico's president will approve a law that decriminalizes possession of small amounts of mar1juana, cocaine and other drugs to concentrate on fighting violent narco gangs, the government said on Tuesday.

President Vicente Fox will not oppose the bill, passed by senators last week, presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar told reporters, despite likely tensions with the United States.

"The president is going to sign that law, there would be no objection," he said. "It appears to be a good law and an advance in combating narcotics trafficking."

The approval of the legislation, passed earlier by the lower house of Congress, surprised Washington, which counts on Mexico's support in its war against gangs that move massive quantities of cocaine, heroin, mar1juana and methamphetamines through Mexico to U.S. consumers.

Under the law, police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of mar1juana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin. Nor does the law penalize possession of 500 milligrams of cocaine -- enough for a few lines.

The legal changes will also decriminalize the possession of limited quantities of LSD, hallucinogenic mushrooms, amphetamines, ecstasy and peyote -- a psychotropic cactus found in Mexico's northern deserts.

Hundreds of people, including many police officers, have been killed in Mexico in the past year as drug cartels battle for control of lucrative smuggling routes into the United States.

The violence has raged mostly in northern Mexico but in recent months has spread south to cities such as vacation resort Acapulco.

While likely to complicate relations with the U.S. government, the legislation has drawn relatively little attention from the media in Mexico, where drug use is less common than in the United States.

Aguilar did not say when Fox would sign the bill.

Under current law, it is up to local judges and police to decide on a case-by-case basis whether people should be prosecuted for possessing small quantities of drugs.

---
    I'm thinking of moving to South Padre Island and starting a "Coffee Shop" in Mexico for Americans! Kinda like what you would see in Amsterdam, except American style with a larger menu and the ability to Grande size your "Order"... Think about the Special "Energy" drinks or mellowing "Brownies"...

#1 Phi83, May 2, 2006
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You could have put the article here: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=112212

I think your "coffee shop" would probably qualify as a drug distribution center and get you prosecuted in Mexico as a dealer. That is, if the drug cartels didn't get you first. I'm not sure your business plan is a winner.

3. Phi83

The quote was ment as a joke... You are right this is a duplicate to another thread... Sorry about that!

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know; I'm just giving you a hard time.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

damn man! so the 25 varieties they carry at most coffee shops in amsterdam isnt enough for you! you just might be a bigger stoner than even me.

6. Phi83

I'm thinking more of a Baskin Robbins... 31 flavors plus "Icing" on top!

J/King