1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mexico Legalizes Personal Possession of MJ, coke, meth, LSD etc.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Aug 21, 2009.

1. LScolaDominates

No, but neither is anybody forcing paranoid delusions into the mind of a schizophrenic. I think you're confusing symptoms (drug use) with disease (addiction). Mental illness often manifests itself behaviourally.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

you always have a choice. I have absolutely no sympathy for drug addicts. They are the ones that put that crap in themselves, they have no one to blame but themselves. Have I been in a social situation where I could have done these? absolutely. Did I do them? absolutely not. People who don't have enough will power to say no are pathetic and should only blame themselves.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(1) If that's the case, okay. I though they were trying to help the nasty vile drug war they have on their hands. Reports out of Juarez, for instance, are almost too hard to believe.
    (2) Agree.
    (3) Very little, IMHO.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Drug addicts put drugs into their system. Schizophrenics have no choice over the matter.

5. LScolaDominates

You're right, and I'm not even sure that outright legalization (in Mexico) would do much to change the violent culture of the drug cartels at this point.

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I don't think I have ever met a person who is completely drug free.

Everybody gets their buzz: Whether it is through nicotine, alcohol, illegal drugs, over the counter drugs, prescription drugs, or caffeine (caffeine may be harmless in the dosage most people take it but it is a mind altering substance)

7. LScolaDominates

What you don't seem to understand is that drug addicts don't have a choice either. They're hard-wired to seek out and use drugs just like shizophrenics are hard-wired to create and act upon paranoid fantasies.

8. B-Bob

I have a friend who lives in El Paso (he's of Mexican descent), and his fiance lived in Jaurez but has moved to El Paso. They have fascinating stories, (some of them amazingly scary), and in the end, everyone in that area thinks that no laws in Mexico will have an effect, because the huge money-making drug market is in the US. The gangs are just shooting each other (and law enforcement) up (with guns, not needles), fighting for the right to take the stuff to the US and sell it.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Heroin and coke? The only thing more addictive is nicotine.

10. B-Bob

And the interwebz. :(

11. LScolaDominates

And most of the police have gang affiliation. The drug task forces are essentially kidnapping and death squads.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

so before drug addicts try heroine, cocaine, meth, they are born having a thirst for them? doubt it

1 person likes this.
  13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Cocaine and meth? Yep, we can use the money for health care. With those two drugs being legal, there would be lots of need for health care.

When I partnered with a family law attorney, I saw what meth does to a person. I would see women that were 40 looking like they were 80. NAsty, nasty drug.

14. dexkk

dexkk Member

I used to think like you but I'm pretty sure you didn't grow up in the ghetto in a fatherless household where the mom works all day and the kids lack discipline and local thugs are the main influential role models.

Look drugs are a problem and I'm not saying the Mexican way is the right way to deal with it. However, your logic of placing all the blame on drug users is the main reason why our drug policy fails here in the States. We currently consume the biggest % of world's narcotics and our jails are overcrowded.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is some compelling evidence with EEG's and alcoholics, as well as double blind studies of adopted twins showing a genetic tendency.

This was the first link I came across when I googled it, but a genetic predisposition to alcoholism and drug addiction was taught as accepted fact when I was at university.

Sort of like you are born with a innate desire to eat fatty foods. You aren't born with some idea of what a cheeseburger is, but rather a hunger for beefy proteins and fats, which happens to be expressed in that cheeseburger. An addict's body doesn't select for heroin addiction, or cocaine addiction. But rather it a hunger for some sort of Pavlovian pleasure/reward type mechanism.

#35 Ottomaton, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  16. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Exactly. So why pay for him to sit in a cell for the rest of his life? Your argument doesn't make sense

17. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

No, your missing what hes trying to say. People are naturally born with addictive personalities and like you said, their brains aren't wired right to rational that taking large amounts of drugs will get you addicted and that is bad for your health. Problem is, you can say the same thing about soda, McDonald's, Krispy Kreme, cigarettes and alcohol.

There is no consistency or sense in the pro prohibition argument, if in fact they support keeping fatty foods or anything anything else bad for your health illegal.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Its not a disease. You are making the choice to snort lines off toliet seats. Stay off the coke and LSD you bum and stop making excuses. Geez, everything is a disease these days. "Oh, I have problems waking up early for work. It must be a disease." Yeah, whatever makes you feel better.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If only we lived in your little theoretical world where most of our choices aren't based on our surroundings and life experience but rather on some innate imaginary code of right and wrong.

20. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I'd probably choose to snort lines off stripper's bare bellies, but hey, if you have a toilet bowl fetish, more power to you...