1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mets interested in Oswalt

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Apr 21, 2010.

1. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good point. However, in this case Roy Oswalt has been extremely durable throughout his career. Except for the back and groin issues that pop up every once in a while he's been healthy.

2. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Although their system is just as thin as the Astros' the Mets do have a couple of nice prospects.

Ike Davis - 1B - Left handed power hitting first baseman.
    Jon Niese - LHP - Good fastball, better curveball (MLB Ready)
    Gee Dillion - RHP - Good right-hander, close to MLB ready.

If the Mets want Oswalt, they're gonna have to pony up some of their best prospects.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Start with Wilmer Flores and we'll go from there.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

After reading some of your posts in other threads, one could certainly assume that YOU think it is. ;)

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

mets won't trade pelfrey, they want to win now and he's off to a good start. i'm a fan of oswalt and if they traded him to the mets i'd get to see him pitch more often. :) could be good for both clubs, make it happen.

6. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

HAHAHA you aren't paying attention.

7. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Even a dumbass like Omar Minaya would hang up the phone if Houston asked for Jenrry Mejia. The Mets rushed him up and started his clock too.

8. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I wasn't being serious. I know what he was getting at.

9. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I'm an actor.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yeah, but pitcher over 30... the odds just don't favor these guys.

I agree with some of the others. The Mets really don't have enough to get us interested. We need at least one great prospect that's either at AAA or a rookie. And then some either some younger prospect with huge upside, or quality low-ceiling players who can replace the Matsuis, Feliz, Moellers of the world.

11. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Dude the Mets have enough prospects to net Roy Oswalt (If we are out of contention, Roy is open to playing in New York, and Ed Wade can talk Uncle Drayton into it.) We would love to get Jenrry Mejia and Ike Davis, but its laughable to think we could get both of those guys. I doubt we would even get one of them. Maybe we get two of Reese Havens, Brad Holt and Jon Niese with another young guy. This is all speculation though because its not going to happen with Drayton as the owner.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you're implying that the Mets would be willing to give up their #1 and #2 prospects for Oswalt, then give me some of what you're smoking.

A team may indeed give up two players the caliber of Mejia and Davis for Oswalt(if they're desperate). But not a team where that's the extent of their farm system.

13. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

LOL please dude. Just do me a favor and reread what you just read. I said it would be laughable to think we would get both of those guys if we even got one. Sure looks like you didn't read one word of what I posted. Maybe if you are going to click the reply button to what someone posted, it would be a generally smart idea to actually READ WHAT THEY SAID. If any team gave up 6 years of control of two guys the calibur of Mejia and Davis for 2 years of Oswalt at his undesirable salary, they would be ignorant much like you :p

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, I read a contradictory post and thought your argument was your first sentence. So I responded according to that.

I mean, if we're going to with technicalities, the Texans could theoretically net ANY player in the league. That is, if they're willing to trade away some combination of Schaub/AJ/Mario/Cushing/Ryans.

But normally, there's an implied assumption that we ignore improbable scenarios.

15. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Well I sure am glad that you base your replies on the first sentence of everyones posts. Baseball and Football are way different in comparison of prospects and trades. To compare the two is unrealistic. Roy Oswalt going to the METS isn't "improbable". The scenario is in fact very possible. Trading players in the NFL for each other is rare. In baseball, its very common to see players exchanged. Most of the time in the NFL, trades are players for picks. You can't do that in baseball (except rule 5 picks) so

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Mets once gave up Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano, so don't assume they wouldn't. Different GM, but one not afraid to mortgage the future.

17. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

making a parallel between the NFL and MLB when trades are concerned isn't relevant.

18. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Steve Phillips (the GM you are referring to) is also a dumbass. Another example is when the Expos gave up Grady Sizemore, Brandon Phillips and Cliff Lee for Bartolo Colon. I'm not saying its inconceivable but you have to be a complete dumbass to give up every decent prospect you have for one player. The Mets don't look like contenders anyways so it would be a worse deal. I guess I can understand giving up a ton of prospects for that final piece much like we did with Randy Johnson in 98. We gave up Freddy Garcia, John Halama and Carlos Guillen. Atleast those three haven't amounted to what Phillips, Sizemore and Lee have. Thats multiple gold gloves and a Cy Young for a guy who fell off the map.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think you need to acquaint yourself with the word prospect first of all. No healthy top line pitcher the caliber of Oswalt gets traded for any single prospect pretty much regardless of how highly touted he might be. Second of all, neither Davis nor Mejia are among the top 50 prospects in baseball so get over yourself. Cliff Lee went for three prospects in the offseason and any deal for Oswalt should net the same ballpark of talent in return.

Oswalt's undesirable salary, ha. This from the Mets that are paying Gary Done Nothing Matthews Jr. $11 million and Oliver Cy Young Perez $12 million this season. The Mets would wet their pants if they could pair Oswalt with Santana every series.

20. RocketMania1991

Agree Oswalt has been arguably one of the most dominant pitchers over this past decade.

If you are trading a proven #1 and face of the franchise then you certainly better be getting more than one unproven prospect.

Santana/Oswalt is probably the best 1-2 punch in all of baseball.