1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

METRO North Line opening December 21

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

my understanding is that you'd have to go a lot deeper for subway than you do for the system of tunnels.

2. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

for $756 million we should have just bought 1000 rolls royce phantoms and saved $200 million or so and shuttled poor people all around that 5 mile path. I mean they deserve all the nice stuff we have and a metrorail just doesn't suffice.

Im calling my congressman, i want rolls royce's for the poor!

1 person likes this.
  3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Every major city in the world has trains at street level. Off the top of my head:
    Chicago
    Dallas
    Toronto
    Amsterdam
    Paris
    Barcelona

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

ive seen the run the train twice on my drive home avoiding the traffic on 45N

5. krosfyah

Dozens of motorists have NOT been killed. Off hand, I think there have been two fatalities and I think they were both pedestrians and not auto collisions.

There have been FAR more fatalities by Metro as a result of bus accidents (even if factoring a ratios for miles driven). So by your logic, we should first eliminate all buses.

6. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

how many fatalities have happened at the hands of rolls royce drivers? That's why i suggested it. They're built like tanks and we can easily buy 1,000 of them for far less than the metrorail costs

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

What about new York? Is their geographic strata just different? Bc theyre quite sea level too

Maybe it's a tough bedrock

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

We get it. You're racist schtick is old and tired. Quit posting for reals. You're scum.

9. Grinds

Grinds Member

True on the cost. Then Grinds would be crying about his money twice as much. You'd hear arguments from the New York subway peeps. :eek: BUT... they also have trains ON the ground level and street level commuting from the outskirts.

Didn't you just type something about my assumptions? Hypocrisy at its finest.

Yes. Big buildings are certainly exactly THE SAME as an elevated track on a street in every street, no matter the terrain. Same weight distribution, everything. Thanks, mister Civil Engineering doctorate. :rolleyes:

It can be done, just more costly. There are miles and miles of freeway ramps throughout the area... big, tall, long ramps AND bridges. I wouldn't mind paying extra taxes (i.e. $1000/yr x 5 years) to make things better. Please assume I wouldn't.

No, it doesn't say I agree... give me a break. It says that I am asking you to prove it so I can accept your claim... but I doubt you can prove it, and you won't, because you don't even have a few more seconds to even wait for a train to pass because your time is so precious you're upset in the morning in traffic.

Nah, asking for proof says "you AGREE 4 minute waits would be too long"..... you just don't believe it's 4 minutes. Still wanna disagree? Take a break from your weak attempts at trash talk and answer this simple question "yes or no"...... Would a 4 minute wait be too long?

Yes, because there are many other thorough ways you can use to pass THROUGH downtown, don't you know? San Jacinto, Milam, etc., etc. Use your google maps, man. You don't absolutely have to go through Main.

I pretty much know every part of Houston, keep your maps. The problem is Main St's origin is directly from 90 Alt. A big, busy, major highway. It's low budget to reduce it to 1 lane and horribly limit turns.

Why? Is there some kind of rule or law or even a policy that says there shouldn't be one? And, stop assuming. No, I'm on the IMPROVE HOUSTON TRAFFIC and OVERALL LIFE population.

Street level is low budget and worse for traffic.. although I might accept the previously mentioned ground level on the outskirts.

I don't even use the rail right now, but I'm a proponent of things that improve transit and help the city get moving... you have to start somewhere. RAIL gets the inner-loop (and some outer loop) people to their destinations safer and more energy-efficiently than buses or their cars. Can't you understand that?

I'm not against having a rail, just want better.

10. Grinds

Grinds Member

There's far more buses/opportunity for auto-bus collisions. Use some sense.

11. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

seems like we need commuter rails from the suburbs more? something to mirror the freeways? seems like that + a bike would get you around pretty decent

12. krosfyah

Have you ever been to New York, Toronto, London, Paris and rode public transportation? What would you say is the ratio of "poor" people who use those systems?

I don't mind debating the merits of Public transportation but, man, most of ya'll naysayers so far off reality it's hard.

Let me help ya'll out:
    1. Rail doesn't lower property values, it raises it.
    2. Public transportation isn't for poor people.
    3. Light rail on surface streets is the rule world wide ...not the exception.
    4. Building rail is much less disruptive than building/widening freeways.
    5. No city builds a transportation system outside/in (example, Houston's freeway system.)
    6. Light rail isn't going to reduce road congestion. It gives people options.

This last myth is harder to explain but is essential.
    7. Houston can only be a "car city" is false. No city on earth is static. City's are in a constant state of flux and inhabitants are constantly moving their homes. Given point #6, in most cities with good transportation systems, it impacts people's decision on where they choose to live. That's already being seen in Houston particularly younger folks that live/work in the Medical Center with all the apartments that have popped up along the rail line south of the Med Center.

1 person likes this.
  13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

good question. i'm not sure.

14. krosfyah

Again, factoring in the ratio's for miles driven buses are far more dangerous than trains. I'm sorry reality doesn't match your perception. Sucks, huh?

Another example I'm sure you've heard is plane travel is far safer than auto travel. Nobody ever hears about car accidents but plane accidents are all over the news so the truthiness is that planes are more dangerous cause look at those FLAMES!!!! That isn't the reality.

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

The grand central underground expansion is just breathtaking. 10 stories or something like that underground. Criss crossing tunnels

16. Grinds

Grinds Member

No need to apologize or ask if something sucks. It's not that serious.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Amsterdam also has a significant ground level tram system. Actually, their entire transit system is excellent.

18. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

This isn't ny I rode it once to have lunch with a friend who teaches at uhd and on the way back they stopped it and cops came on and gave tickets to all those who didn't pay the $1. It was a joke they took over 10 people off it

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

El trains above the HOV lanes eventually would.be perfect for commuter rails

20. Grinds

Grinds Member

And they're all better planned than Houston.

Most of Chicago's is elevated and Dallas utilizes freeways with its trains and has multiple bridges were it doesn't interfere with traffic. One lane per direction on Main St.... ridiculous.