1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

METRO North Line opening December 21

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 24, 2013.

1. da1

da1 Member

Houston's North Rail Line will open for service on Dec. 21, 2013, according to Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County officials addressing a luncheon held by the Greater Houston Partnership Tuesday, Oct. 22.

The $756 million, 5.3-mile light rail transit extension will link MetroRail's University of Houston Downtown Station, one current LRT terminus, with Northline Commons via Main Street and Fulton Street, and is the first addition to Houston's initial 7.5-mile, LRT segment, which opened in January 2004.

MetroRail officials earlier this year targeted an opening date for the line prior to Christmas.

Two other LRT routes, the East Line and Southeast Line, currently are scheduled to begin operations next year.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/passenger/light-rail/houston-north-rail-line-to-open-dec-21.html

2. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

good to know we're spending so much to transport people who can't afford to buy and operate their own car.

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I agree. It's good to see the city expanding their infrastructure.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The d******d is being sarcastic. His daddy set him up with his business so now he thinks he's better than the poors. I, for one, am hoping one of his ATMs does what that one did to the methhead in Breaking Bad.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm about 98% sure he isn't serious and playing the Stephen Colbert shtick.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

They ride FREE on my money?!?!?! Those bastards!!!! :mad:

7. da1

da1 Member

That's the point

8. Grinds

Grinds Member

Houston's Rail was poorly constructed. You don't put a train on city streets. You put them below the street (subway) or above. It's ridiculous having a train waiting at red light. The trains also mess with traffic.

9. SwoLy-D

I'm sorry... they didn't invite you to the planning meetings in the 1900's? :confused: You know what the soil and make up of the terrain is made of, so we can make subways?

Dude. Wait your happy butt until the train passes. What's 20 seconds of your PRECIOUS time?

[​IMG]

10. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

I'm glad you've finally overcome your hatred of poor people and have accepted the reality that everyone needs some help, Eddie!

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

which stores are his ATM's located at? Too lazy to sift that thread,.

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Your pompous schtick is starting to wear thin! The only thing you are really accomplishing is bringing disgrace to your Indian parents, who coming from India, were also a part of the lower income society you so love to bash!

If you have money to burn, then do it, BUT DO IT QUIETLY...:cool:

#12 BamBam, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  13. Grinds

Grinds Member

]I'm sorry... they didn't invite you to the planning meetings in the 1900's? :confused: You know what the soil and make up of the terrain is made of, so we can make subways?

Dude. Wait your happy butt until the train passes. What's 20 seconds of your PRECIOUS time?

[​IMG]
    [/QUOTE]

You conveniently ignored the "or above" portion of my response. If not. Subway style then do it like Chicago's elavated trains.

The train messes with traffic. The intersection of Fannin @ 610 can be a 4+ minute wait when consecutive trains pass. Main St's left turns are limited and dozens of motorists have been killed after colliding with the trains. Poor construction and planning.

14. SwoLy-D

No, I didn't. You conveniently disregard that terrain also affects elevated trains.
    Won't discuss "traffic" and your precious time anymore, like you're the only one that's impatient. Time it. Record it. Post it on YouTube, mister time calculator. Prove that 4+ minute wait.
    Main's turns were limited even BEFORE the train was there. And... about the collisions with trains... are you actually blaming a huge gray vehicle for having the right of way? Are you arguing that there are no signs, bells, lights, or enough warning for these motorists who clearly disregard those? :eek: MoAr, PLeAsE. Moar.

Are you under 20 years old, by the way...? It seems like you know nothing about Houston's transit history and are against major advances like this... and its expansion.

15. Grinds

Grinds Member

No, I didn't. You conveniently disregard that terrain also affects elevated trains

There's big buildings all over Houston, the can build elevated trains.

Won't discuss "traffic" and your precious time anymore, like you're the only one that's impatient. Time it. Record it. Post it on YouTube, mister time calculator. Prove that 4+ minute wait.

I couldn't care less about proving the 4+ minute waits to you, but the fact you need it proven says you agree it's too long.

Main's turns were limited even BEFORE the train was there.

Right, now it's far more limited. One lane of traffic for each direction is beyond dumb.

And... about the collisions with trains... are you actually blaming a huge gray vehicle for having the right of way? Are you arguing that there are no signs, bells, lights, or enough warning for these motorists who clearly disregard those? :eek: MoAr, PLeAsE. Moar.

I'd assume most accidents were the cars' faults, but there shouldn't be a train on the street.

Are you under 20 years old, by the way...? It seems like you know nothing about Houston's transit history and are against major advances like this... and its expansion

You seem to be on the Metrorail committee... lol.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you elevate or dig, my guess is you at least double the cost.

I don't think you have a subway when you're basically at sea level...I've read conflicting stuff on that, though.

17. SwoLy-D

^ True on the cost. Then Grinds would be crying about his money twice as much. You'd hear arguments from the New York subway peeps. :eek: BUT... they also have trains ON the ground level and street level commuting from the outskirts.

Yes. Big buildings are certainly exactly THE SAME as an elevated track on a street in every street, no matter the terrain. Same weight distribution, everything. Thanks, mister Civil Engineering doctorate. :rolleyes:
    No, it doesn't say I agree... give me a break. It says that I am asking you to prove it so I can accept your claim... but I doubt you can prove it, and you won't, because you don't even have a few more seconds to even wait for a train to pass because your time is so precious you're upset in the morning in traffic.
    Yes, because there are many other thorough ways you can use to pass THROUGH downtown, don't you know? San Jacinto, Milam, etc., etc. Use your google maps, man. You don't absolutely have to go through Main.
    Why? Is there some kind of rule or law or even a policy that says there shouldn't be one? And, stop assuming.
    No, I'm on the IMPROVE HOUSTON TRAFFIC and OVERALL LIFE population. :)

I don't even use the rail right now, but I'm a proponent of things that improve transit and help the city get moving... you have to start somewhere. RAIL gets the inner-loop (and some outer loop) people to their destinations safer and more energy-efficiently than buses or their cars. Can't you understand that? :eek:

18. da1

da1 Member

There was a referendum in the early 80's to build heavy rail (NYC/Chicago style), but it got shot down.

Another referendum for monorail was approved by voters, but then when Bob Lanier became mayor he gave the $500 million to cops instead.

So light rail was the third choice, because of cost, since the first line was built entirely with local funds.

So blame 1980's era voters and Bob Lanier.

19. da1

da1 Member

Subway can be done. Look at amsterdam. But yes light rail is significantly cheaper than subway or elevated rail.

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Downtown Houston has a substantial under ground system of tunnels today. It's a myth that it can't be done. The issue is cost.