1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Metal Detecting: The World's Worst Hobby

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vengeance, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Hilarious article from Slate:

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i have a friend who does this a little. it's one of many crazy things he does and makes money while avoiding having to actually work for a living. i'm not sure how much he's ever found.

i've never done it, but i imagine it would go just like the article. exciting for a few minutes and then a huge waste of time and very frustrating.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

i knew of someone someone who did this but he'd only head out to a popular beach at the crack of dawn the morning after a big all-day event.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I did this some as a kid, but never looking for old stuff of value. Pretty much I just went under bleachers at schools looking for loose change that people dropped. Still, pretty boring.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I bought one for my 8 year old, but the only thing we have ever done is use it to find some lost spikes in the back yard when the soccer goals got lose from them.

It was REALLY helpful though, those metal spikes were buried.......

DD

6. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I have a friend in Memphis who's wife has a beautiful Civil War era wedding ring. Found within 2 miles of his home.

There can be wonderful finds playing with detectors.

RR

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I know this guy named Archie who once found some rich girl's diary on a beach because of its metal clasp. The girl was so pleased to get it back she invited him to her dad's yacht and hand fed him grapes while he lounged on the deck. At the end of the day, the girl's father gave him a hundred bucks. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.