1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Memphis: "Some teams have an erroneous assumption we're just dropping money"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I WONDER WHAT GAVE THEM THAT SILLY IDEA.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/feb/08/miller-pays-no-mind-to-trade-talk/

Miller pays no mind to trade talk
    GM says if right deal comes, he'll take it

By Ronald Tillery
    Friday, February 8, 2008

If Mike Miller is supposed to appear depressed, restless or openly bothered by the loud construction noise going on in FedExForum, someone forgot to alert the veteran sharpshooter that his mood should swing right about now.

When the doors opened Thursday to the practice court, the Grizzlies' swingman was all smiles.

He helped the new guys get through the plays.

He joked with more familiar teammates, and then hoisted extra shots after practice ended in preparation for the Grizzlies' road game tonight against Dallas.

What Miller said he can't help is that his name continues to swirl in trade rumors.

Since the Griz obliged Damon Stoudamire with a contract buyout, traded Stromile Swift and unloaded Pau Gasol's contract for draft picks and salary-cap relief, Miller has been left with a young, rebuilding team and constant speculation that he's next in line to depart Memphis.

Miller knows that it's possible that he'll be dealt by the NBA's Feb. 21 trade deadline but he seems unaffected by the notion.

"If a deal comes they can't refuse, I don't expect them not to take it," Miller said. "We understand each other. I told them I'm going to play as hard as I can. I'm going to try to win games. And they've been completely honest with me."

Miller spoke recently with Griz brass -- owner Michael Heisley, general manager Chris Wallace and head coach Marc Iavaroni. The message conveyed was that anything can happen.

But Wallace passionately dispelled a myth making its way around the league.

"I've never had more calls from people checking in and registering interest like they have since we made the trade for Pau," Wallace said. "They think we're in a deal mode. Some teams have an erroneous assumption we're just dropping money.

"People have interest in our players. So I told these guys we're not trying to dump players. But it's our responsibility as a franchise to look at opportunities. I'll never tell a player he can't be traded. That's just not true. You see Shaquille O'Neal just got traded.

"I told Mike that we value him. He's been a terrific asset in the community. He's having a great season. No one is looking to dump him for the sake of dumping. But I also told him people are calling and I can't offer a guarantee (he won't be traded). It would be disingenuous if I did."

Once upon a time, a trade rumor had Miller and Hakim Warrick in a larger deal that would have essentially netted the Grizzlies Lamar Odom of the Los Angeles Lakers. Another speculative trade involves Miller for Miami's Ricky Davis and his expiring $6.8 million contract.

Miller has two years and nearly $19 million left on his contract. What's enticing for potential suitors, though, is one of only three NBA players -- meeting the statistical minimums -- this season shooting better than 50 percent overall, 40 percent from 3-point range and 80 percent from the free-throw line.

Then again, it is not inconceivable that the Griz may seek more salary relief during their commitment to a full-scale rebuild through a young nucleus, draft picks and free agency.

"It's tough," Miller said of the Grizzlies' predicament. "But as long as they show commitment to me, I'll show commitment to them. When they signed me, they didn't promise me it was going to be all easy.

"When I came here we hadn't been to the playoffs and we got there. Now it'll be fun to be a part of a team that makes a playoff push. It's just going to take a lot of work and some time."

But does Miller have the patience that the Griz are asking their fans to display?

"I have to at this point," Miller said. "Until they tell me I'm no longer with the team my patience is there. I've got to believe in what they're doing; otherwise it would be a struggle to come to work every day. So I believe in what they're doing. They want to win just as bad as I do. Sometimes it's harder to be patient when you've been in the league eight years and tasted success."

Wallace emphasized that if Miller is traded, "there will be a basketball reason why we do it."

Miller is hoping for more than that when it comes to motivation for a deal.

"I wouldn't want to leave this place and go to a place that doesn't have a chance of winning," Miller said. "That's what scares me. ... At least here we care about winning. If teams are making offers right now I hope it's teams that are trying to win a championship."

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Shockingly, Miller and Darko are the only guys left with significant contracts. Just finish your firesale and sell the team already!

My only question is whether the new ownership will try and move them out of Tenn.

Thanks for the article!

Evan

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I could see them keeping Darko. He's young enough to be a part of the rebuilding process. But if they're truly in rebuilding mode, there is absolutely no reason not to send Mike Miller elsewhere for picks and an expiring contract or two.

I'd surely love to see a Francis/Snyder + picks package bring Miller to Houston. His shooting would fit perfectly here.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

This isn't rebuilding. It's a fire sale to reduce salary obligations (as far as the business world is concerned, that equals debt) in an effort to make selling the team easier and hopefully up the selling price.

This has absolutely ZERO to do with making the Grizz better down the road.

Evan

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

That's what they HAVE to say, whether it's true or not (and I suspect it's not true... Daryl Morey said they were hard-up on $, and I believe the guy) in order to (1)try and maximize their assets and (2) not piss off their fans.

Vultures are circling the Girzzlies carcass, waiting to pick off the meaty parts.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Offer them our expiring contracts for Mike Miller! (And somehow also get Cassell...).

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Are you guys saying Kwame for Gasol was not about getting equal talent for Memphis? :D

8. Sextuple Double

If the Grizz gave up the ass so easy, might as well let everyone hit.

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Chris Wallace can say whatever he wants. But I bet the Grizz are not going to spend their cap space and they will keep their salary at the minimum. Heisley is praying everyday a buyer will show up and take this franchise off his hand. Miller for sure is up for trade for expiry contract and draft pick.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

he traded gasol for worse then nothing and he doesn't want people to think they're just dropping money? ok a$$hole.

11. WNBA

WNBA Member

It is hard to be scared if you think a 13-35 team is winning.

12. dookiester

dookiester Member

seriously. the poor guy. i hope the rockets get him, so he can see what a team that really wants to win looks like. i can only imagine what kind of smooth talking is going on in memphis to convince everyone that they're ready for their big "playoff push." the grizzlies aren't going to taste the playoffs in any foreseeable future.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

the Grizzlies are a joke

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Interesting........why couldn't the Rockets friggin pull this off?.................................. I would have given them McGreedy, oh sorry I forgot, they didn't want anyone in return.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Spurs crying about unfair trades?

How about giving Rodman to the Bulls for BILL WENINGTON!

How about tanking the season to get Tim Duncan!

The Spurs can't talk.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

It was Rodman for Will Perdue, dang your NBA history sucks for a guy living in the past... :p

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It was a dumb trade but it's legal. Pops is behaving like a jerk.

18. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Rodman had some issues that are well documented....there;s a reason why he got traded.

As far tanking the season Tinman, I don't think you can accuse any team of doing this....there’s potentially a crap load of teams who’ve done this, how is anyone going to provide evidence?

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

then again maybe the rumor why the grizzlies did this isn't that far fetched...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgJE7C5wiU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgJE7C5wiU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

damn, even worse! :)

perdue and wennington are the same person.