1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Memphis] Rockets have inquired about 2nd pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, Jun 9, 2009.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

CD had the title of GM but the replacement had been named, if you don't think Morey (he was the "apprentice" i guess you would say) made the moves that offseason your nuts.

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

After watching video of Rubio I am coming around. The kid looks like he may be special to be so young.

That kind of court vision, precision passing, decision making, and instincts can not be taught, you either got IT or you don't, but it can be improved.

Reminds me of Pistol Pete.

3. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

How would we get this pick? Other than trading tracy for it, I dont know if I would do it.

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

What the heck are you on? Allen and Rondo? They could get a #1 pick with those 2 alone. Rondo is young and an up and coming pg. The guy is probably close to the top 5 pg in the league right now and you why would the Celtic trade him for another unknown player like Rubio?

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

The Rockets would have to be willing to move playoff sensation Aaron Brooks, Chuck Hayes, and a future pick for the rights to the 2nd pick overall.

I saw that on another MB when somebody posted the rumor mill, they did not post a link, I'll look later or someone else can.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

lol @ "would have to be willing to move [insert the aforementioned chump change package] for the rights to the 2nd pick overall....."

the statement would actually be fairly amusing if it weren't for the fact that the "source" is hoopsworld.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think it's been posted here already, just some site putting in their 2 cents i dont think it's credible..

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T5mpST596qU&hl=fr&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T5mpST596qU&hl=fr&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That behind-the-back pass at 1:33 is the nastiest thing i've seen in a long time. I litteraly lol'd when I saw it because the dude is arrogant enough to do that in the 4th when his team is loosing by 10 against China lol.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

i'm actually a lot more impressed by his ability thus far to draw plaudits in the form of hall of fame comparisons despite being handicapped with what is apparently a one inch vertical.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really don't know why Celtics are even thinking about trading Rondo. They are a championship team, they need to make tweaks not upgrades. They are not going to trade Allen or Rondo. I just can't see that happening.

I'm interested though, say they do, or another team sweeps in and gets it. Then do the Rockets go for another draft pick?

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

there's talk that he's developing or has a big ego already....i guess that's one of the drawbacks of him playing at a high level so young and getting so much attention

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

they aren't, they came out publicly after the rumors and said they aren't shooping rondo or allen

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also if we're trading Brooks, that tells you who we're going to get doesn't it?

I actually like Thabeet and wish him the best. Since he's a Houston guy and admires the Dream, it's easy to root for him. Guy is actually athletic enough to play beside Yao if you ask me.

I think Rondo >>> Brooks. It's possible that Rubio will be a better PG than Brooks also. People say we need a guy with court vision and passing ability. This is that guy. Yeah he may be raw and yeah he could bust (like every other player drafted) but if Morey is willing to make the deal along with the FO, then they must not feel it's not that big of a risk.

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Can a bigger John Stockton make it in today's NBA?

15. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

James Harden would have a bigger impact on the Rockets than Rubio.

16. Vivid

Vivid Member

WHATZERZ!!! trade Rondo for inknown commodity? Did you read what I wrote? The Celtics have even stated they don't want to trade Rondo. That was purely a "if it was us and the Celtics, how could they trump us" analysis. That would be the best package they could offer. They could try moving guys like Perkins instead, but that would leave them thin up top. They are already having to resign Davis to a bigger contract, and Garnett is coming off a knee injury. Plus why get Rubio when you have Rondo? That was my point. Did you not comprehend that? Did my stating he almost averaged a triple double in the playoffs come off as an insult? Is efficiency a bad thing? Is you ez pirate cuz you haz a peg leg?

I was praising Rondo in my post. I was simply trying to show how unfeasible the trade would be from a basketball point of view regardless of who said what. Players have been traded before even after the organization said they wouldn't trade them. Putting that aside, the Celtics might not be able to put that great of a package together anyways. Now the question remains, who do the Rockets have? The Grizz were high on Landry, and Brooks is coming off a solid playoffs. Still, you get the feeling that it would have to a be a "steal" type of trade. Nothing "fair" really seems to works out. Perhaps Tmac, Brooks for 2nd pick, Jaric, Darko, Buckner?

-V

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I like mini-Pistola Pete.

I think people have to understand how financially destitute Memphis is. They can't draw anyone to their games (below 13k per game, 70% capacity is worst in the NBA), they have little to no corporate base, they don't win, they are completely overshadowed by college sports in the region. They've unsuccessfully tried to sell the team to anyone for several years and one obstacle is the fact that they are mounting losses (debt) that continues to devalue an already near-worthless franchise.

If I woke up tomorrow and saw the headline: NBA franchise shuttering operations - Memphis would be the first team that I'd suspect, even after the Pacers made mention of the possibility.

I don't know that I see them taking McGrady's (or Ray Allen's or anyone else's) expiring, because they can't afford to pay him for a year.

What they probably want more than anything for the #2 is to exchange Darko & Marko for a TE.

Detroit could be a candidate for that. OKC, too. Atlanta, if they decide they don't want to keep Bibby is the only other team I see as a possibility in that scenario.

LOL, done.

Only catch - what good at all does that do Memphis?

1 person likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Rubio is special, his court awareness is the best I have seen since a young Jason Kidd or Steve Nash...

He is definitly worth the 2nd pick.

DD

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i read what you wrote and i like your deductive reasoning. the knicks may want to move up a bit to insure they get the guy they want, but realistically they are unwilling to take back salary which is what memphis is looking to part with in any trade for the #2. the best they can do is offer mobley's non-guaranteed for darko's expiring.

the celtics are in win now mode. if they can get a little younger to extend their window of opportunity they will look into it. ray allen and his expiring might be shopped around. $17M coming of the books is a valuable asset, especially since allen can still contribute. i just don't see the celtics getting any better from any trade with the grizzlies.

that leaves the rockets. the rockets are probably much more interested in parting with tmac's ending than the celtics are with allen's. without trading rondo (as you talked about) they can't trump the rockets offer. now how high on the grizzlies list of options is the rockets offer? who knows. if the rockets are first in line for a trade, clearing a bunch of cap is probably better than drafting thabeet. maybe therein lies the decision.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would do it, to get a potential elite PG. Would you get this guy if he turns out to be Tony Parker II?