1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Memphis] Rockets have inquired about 2nd pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

We would not trade Battier..what if ron goes elsewhere? we're screwed..Morey is not a fool

2. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

From what I've been reading, it seems awfully suggestive that there is a sharp dropoff in talent after Griffin and Rubio. So, yes, potentially, this draft is about two deep. With as many teams that are rumored/reported to be wanting to sell or trade their picks, that tends to reinforce that impression of a shallow draft.

But then, Morey tends to work magic with whatever he gets, so I'm not sweating it too much. His focus -- and his talent -- is finding undervalued players, which suggests to me that he won't be focusing on Rubio so much as sounding out these teams for what other needs they might have, as intel for possible future trades.

All that being said, if Rubio winds up a Rocket, I don't know that would necessarily be a bad thing. I haven't watched him play, so all I have to go on is internet buzz, with a side order of salt.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well he shot 40% from distance at Santa Clara as an 18 year old freshman, so I'm going to go ahead and say, yes, when he was 18.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nashst01.html

I don't have his high school stats, but I'm going to guess he tore it up in BC too. He's had arguably one mediocre year (senior year at 34%) in 17 years of recorded data, so I think we can safely dismiss that as a fluke at this point.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

When I first saw the thread title I thought it was about a 2nd ROUND pick. Figured what's the big deal and didn't even bother. And then come back to see 200 posts on it.

I still can't see what we have that Memphis would want. I mean, there just isn't much of a precedent for such high picks being available for role players. And it's not like they have big salaries they need to get rid of.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nqDh2Ng4nAA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nqDh2Ng4nAA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. lalala902102001

I don't see any real bad contracts on Memphis' roster that they'd like to unload by getting McGrady's expiring contract. I don't see anything on the Rocket's roster with the value to get a No.2 overall pick. So it ain't happening.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Bravo.

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Not as impressive as I was expecting.

I realize they are just highlights but Ricky Rubios highlight reels are SICK.

9. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Maybe Morey sees another Brandon Roy in this draft?

10. Strawman

Strawman Member

Not a single colored boy in that video.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think that if indications that we have inquired about his pick, and #5 as well are true, it means we are going after someone other than Rubio. I don't think he will last to #5 and really does not seem to be a good pick for us. Because no matter how much potential, he is a project.

I don't know a lot about James Harden, but looked him up after seeing his name tossed around. He seems like he would be helpful right away but I would be shocked to see us do something like that.

Maybe we are trying to position ourselves to flip flop picks with LAC on draft day, to my knowledge they have not publically declared they are picking Blake Griffin.

12. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

memphis needs a hard nosed veteran leader. best fit would be artest. he'll be the number 1 option there and would raise their defense tenfold.

so SnT artest (plus barry/dorsey) to memphis for the #2 pick and fillers to make it work (darko, jaric).

rockets get rubio so brooks and lowry can be traded to phoenix. phoenix would probably need a young PG to train under nash and they cant resign amare. rockets trade lowry/brooks + tmac + landry for amare + jrich (plus fillers to make it work).

rubio / brooks / jaric
    jrich / wafer
    battier / white
    amare / scola / hayes
    yao / millicic

13. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Excellent point, that draft was viewed as even weaker than this one and Morey had targeted Roy but just couldn't get it done.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yeah they have, they even had a public workout with him.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well a behind the back pass to a pro who finishes with a slam looks a lot better than a behind the back pass to billy who finishes with an awkward lay up....but i was just posting it to show his shooting, not that it shows percentages, but should give an idea of how solid his form was and if he could shoot well or not

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

there is this guy named Von Wafer

17. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

package??
    beside walton to me its pretty underrated.

18. tming

tming Member

trading rondo for rubio would be very idiotic.

19. 3rdRingsAComin

Man that was boring. Not too much show time in Canada back in the day

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

CD was the GM at that time.
    But is there a Roy in this draft or not? Other teams will be maneuvering to get an advantage too,and may have more to offer than us if they think it's worth moving up. On the other hand, some of them may back off since it's a weak draft.
    It could still involve giving up Landry and/or Brooks or a high pick,to get "Roy". Harden is nice,but I don't think he will be as successful as him.

#220 saleem, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009