1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Memphis] Rockets have inquired about 2nd pick.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, Jun 9, 2009.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's more laughable that anytime anybody sees a 6-3 white guy the "Steve Nash" comparison is thrown out.

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I guess it might segway to a third team. Depends if Memphis is requesting both those players or not. 5 days ago? That's cool. I wish my closest contact with the team was as open/knowledgeable about pending moves, rumors, and such. But I do have some other connections that pay dividends.

I can also see Morey then flipping the pick in a package for a superstar, I wouldn't put it past him.

I think if they trade Battier before/on draft night, then they have strong confidence that Artest is going to resign which I what I would really like.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that wouldn't be a good trade for us, tmac could come back healthy and that alone may equal the #2 pick if not surpass it since it's a weak draft and even the top 3 or so aren't locks to make it big. If you're trading tmac and shane you better be getting a sure thing.

4. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

I must be Steve Nash too, haha.

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Maybe if we could grab Rubio and trade him for a veteran? Any team who's desparate would want to give some good value player for a potential rookie. It's like you're stealing someone draft pick and sell them high.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This must be for the best pick in the draft for sure cause the last time Morey was involved in such a trade the target was Brandon Roy who was a steal.

Hopefully this time we have the pieces to make it happen.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Knowing how Morey was manuvering in last years draft (dropping a few slots, picking up additional picks, and still getting the guy you want) and how we need help now and not young guys who will be stars in a few years, we have to wonder what trickery Morey is up too.

My guess he scouting out exactly how the lottery will play out. I believe he has previously praised the knowledge of knowing what other teams will do. Finding out the likelyhood of those picks being moved (to whom/for what) is probably one of the things he is doing.

We know Morey inquired about the fifth pick, which probably isn't high enough to land Rubio or Thabeet, so the question is who is he targeting? Or does he even want of those lottery picks on the team anyway.

Either he really sees something in one of those players in the top five, outside of Rubio, Blake and Griffin or he wants to play middle man and flip the pick for something of value to us.

8. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I think the Memphis franchise and owner doesn't care about winning. I think they just like making money more then winning.

9. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

It's time to get that athletic 2 guard this team covets...Harden baby!

10. declan32001

declan32001 Member

That's my point and I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but you said Nash "is, and has always has been a deadeye shooter from distance".

Since he's been in the NBA, or when he was 18? You were giving creedence to comparisons that aren't credible.

On topic, it's inevitable that Morey's going to see something in someone where it will be seen by most as a drastic reach. If that happens to be Rubio, I'll be very surprised.

But if he sees the #2 overall pick is being given away at less than what he perceives to be market value - all bets are off.

The economic situation of teams in the NBA this year will probably be discussed more in the annals of NBA history than ever before. And somewhere Les is praying and drooling.

11. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

They aren't making any money in that Mephis arena they are trying to get out from under. They are bleeding like a few other teams.

12. therox3

therox3 Member

+1. unless they are giving the pick away. Lets not waste assets to get less experience at the point. Rubio will never be anything special.

13. Classic

Classic Member

Yeah, I wouldn't put it past Morey to trade for Rubio and unload salary (McGrady) only to deal him to the highest bidder that has what we want the most that we can't get by just dumping salary/McGrady.

Just depends how high the Rockets are on Rubio. I've heard they're really high on him.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

IF this is case and there is no 3rd pick I would HAVE to believe its something like:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kktnlh

I can't imagine Rockets giving up all that for just the #2, and this trade makes sense because gaining 2 2 guards memphis doesn't need Mayo.

Overall I can't see this going down. Memphis would LOVE to get cap space I bet, but I mean giving up probably their best player in Mayo and having Rubio (who I think will become a star in the NBA) just seems a little ridiculous.. but who knows.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I would buy into getting a mid or late 1st rounder or early 2nd round pick, but who in this draft besides Blake Griffen is worth trading up for, let alone giving up one of our players, unless we sign and trade Von Wafer.

16. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

This forum doesn't need posts that are thinly veiled with racism.

17. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Nothing to add, Your Honor.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really hope we don't trade Battier...he's been a leader.

IMO Artest and Battier and Yao of course were the leaders of this team. ESPECIALLY Battier. Trading Tmac+Battier sounds like rebuilding to me...

19. DribbleHooper

Huffing is bad, mmkay?

20. DribbleHooper

Not even if he's working the ticket booth?