1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Memphis having trouble signing 1st rounder Henry

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sbyang, Jul 14, 2010.

1. sbyang

sbyang Member

Xavier Henry is sitting out the summer league because he doesn't have a contract with the Griz. NBA teams have a rookie salary scale that they follow for 1st rounders, they can pay 80% to 120% of that scale, most teams pay 120%. The Griz have decided not to pay 120% and thus we have an NBA holdout.

Hats off to Michale Heisley, he's trying so hard to be the cheapest NBA owner. He sold his best player for peanuts, he sells draft picks for cash, he makes it possible for other teams to do deals in order to get cash, he cuts his coaching and scouting staff down to the bare minimum, and now he's found another way to save. I wonder what's next, he'll probably get rid of the coaching staff all together and just have the players coach themselves.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wow, what a colossal screwup and cheapskate of an owner. I know Memphis doesn't have a deep-pocket fanbase, but first, letting Ronnie Brewer walk and now jacking with the first rounder, all so that they could prove to the NBA that they won't let one-dimensional players like Rudy Gay walk...that they are, in fact, gonna PAY a LOT (watch the Grizz trade Gay this time next year).

That is, unless there's something the article isn't telling.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

As an end result of trading Pau, the Grizz obtained a very expensive Zac Randolph. They quickly locked up Rudy Gay with an extension. You're mistaken that the norm for signing rookies is 120%.

The Grizz have few contracts for next summer. But no one called MIA or NY or CHI "cheap" when they had no 2010-11 contracts.

Find something else to whine about.

4. scola4

scola4 Member

I hope I dont get ripped but i got a couple questions...

Whats the rule/deadline for teams not getting their picks signed? Does he become a free agent or does he enter next years draft?

5. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

the grizzlies are the astros of basketball

6. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

It's my understanding they retain his rights indefinitely unless they renounce them or trade them.

7. scola4

scola4 Member

thanks

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Trade him to us for a Knicks pick and or JT.

I think He'll be a fantastic SG in the future.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

let's just get this out of the way...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. scola4

scola4 Member

This.

I know DM said he thought the Rockets would be drafting Henry or Paul George at 14, so I bet they took a long look at him before the draft. He is a very good player that has potential to be one of the best players from this draft.

11. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

And he paid Gay 5yr/80mill. Damn he is cheap!

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. Morey, get on the phone ... and add Jordan Hill to the list of available players. Hell, I'd do JH and JT for Henry and a second rounder.

13. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Astros spend money just on the wrong people. O wait Grizzlies offer Max deal to Gay i guess they are a like.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

[rquoter]J.Taylor
    2012 NY Pick
    for
    Rights to Xavier Henry
    [/rquoter]

Get it done morey! :grin:

--RB

15. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

You guys pointing out that his signing of Gay means he isn't cheap might want to look at the Grizzlies contracts after this season. Gay is signed and... uh, Gay is signed. They pretty much have his contract as the only thing they have to pay after next season. They'll keep their total payroll near the minimum required even with Gay's bloated deal.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Ahh the Grizzlies, our 2nd D-league team :p

I think we'll be calling up Marc Gasol soon

[​IMG]

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

well, they also have the team options on Thabeet and Mayo they are likely to pick up. Gasol is a FA and they will likely try to sign him. Are you suggesting that they should make a $6.5 million qualifying offer to Mike Conley.

Don't get me wrong. He's clearly not an all out to win kind of owner. And they've made some historically idiotic GM decisions. But in reality it's really a horrible city for an NBA franchise.

Per Gater, You're mistaken that the norm for signing rookies is 120%.

still...not an owner you'd want to have.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's way too much to give up though. I honestly think that Knicks pick is going to be a top 5 pick. I'm sure Morey and his team have already calculated the potential wins of the current Knicks roster and have some basic idea of what that pick should be worth. Xavier Henry may be solid, but solid enough to give up a potential top 5 pick? Not quite.

p.s. I love Les Alexander.

19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a good point. They almost had to sign Gay to that contract just to stay legal.

20. redao

redao Member

TE for Henry.