1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Memphis Commercial Appeal] Pau Gasol traded to Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Problem, we can't sign a 10 million dollar guy. And OMG to the trade.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why couldn't we? We have Barkley's Bird Rights, I think we can sign him to the max even if we exceed the cap.

3. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

not so fast...The Lakers still might make a run for Jason Kidd...Lamar Odom and fillers could land them Kidd...stay tune. :cool:

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I am tellin you. Magic Johnson resigned for 1yr maxed out 4 Kidd.

5. Rocketman2002

Rocketman2002 Member

Man Grizzlies just got raped. Their franchise player for Kwame fockin Brown??
    I wonder where is MemphisX, hope he didnt do something stupid. :D
    I guess now he knows how rockets fans feel like after the Gay-Battier trade...

6. what

what Member

I don't think that there is any question the grizzlies will make a successful play at Shawn Marion.

So the deal is this: Marion, Crittenden, 2 number 1 picks, Mark Gasol for Pau. All in all, a perfect move for the grizzlies.

For the lakers, they don't benefit as much as the grizzlies do with Kwame's expring deal, therefore it was a great move for them as well.

I think the grizzlies pillaged the lakers in one sense, because of what they will get eventually for gasol. The lakers were fine with that because once again they wouldn't have the same cap room as the grizzlies will have this summer. So they get a great player through the trading of said player.

7. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Gasol is better than Marion. I'd like to see what he could do without Nash. Lakers wouldn't need the cap space, because they already got Gasol in the deal. You're assuming Memphis will get Marion off of free-agency, but thats not a definite deal. On the otherhand, it was a reasonable deal for them to free up cap space.

8. what

what Member

Everyone here is assuming the grizzlies will get nothing from the cap space. It is only fair that I should have the same liberty of thought.

Secondly, my point for the lakers had to do with the fact that Kwame's contract , doesn't have the same value to the lakers in free agency as it does for the grizzlies. The grizzlies will create cap space with kwame's contract, while the lakers, will not. They are already too far over the cap. Therefore the deal was good for them, because even with kwame's expiring contract, they would not have been players in this years free agency.

Get it?

9. krayziefl

krayziefl Member

damn this is real bad. Right now memphis just got robbed, unless they do something good in the summer with the cap space they created. On another note why trade him to the lakers and make them even stronger while they on the same side, trade with the east.

10. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

When you are plain bad, why do you care?

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Memphis will be rebuilding around Rudy Gay.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I wish them luck. It's much harder to build around a Guard. The best formula to winning championships is having a big man in the middle that knows how to play. Not too many teams won titles without a good big man down low but plently of teams have won it all with them. And hey, we have that centerpiece in Yao!

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They deny it but the Grizz owner wanted to make this team more attractive to a buyer. Dumping salaries improves the P/L, which is why they only wanted expiring contracts and draft choices in return. For all practical purposes, the Grizz have a lame duck owner.

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Except Aaron McKie was on the Lakers' roster last year and they essentially just resigned him this year. You've got all the facts wrong on this one.

15. dreamrockets

dreamrockets Member

This is BS. Memphis will buy out Mckie with much lower price than his contract.

16. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Shawn Marion in the three seasons before Nash: 19/9/2/2/1 with one All Star appearance.

17. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

All false but who cares. The Grizz are low on the totem pole of the NBA but not quite at the bottom in revenue. The team was losing money because we were paying the luxury tax every year. Also, the team was still paying Big Country Reeves up until 2 seasons ago and Mike Dickerson through this season.

18. watashi315

watashi315 Member

If we lose Jason Kidd AND Pau Gasol to the Lakers...the Rox are finished. Stop dreaming about championships. Right now, we're on the outside looking in. There's the elite 7 in the West 1). Phoenix 2). Dallas 3). SA 4). New Orleans 5). Utah 6). Golden State 7). Lakers and we're fighting for the 8th spot.

Now that Lakers have upgraded, they're sealed for the a deep run. Unless we make some major upgrade, I don't see us going anywhere. I don't know if JKidd will even help us that much at this point. He can still pass, but his scoring is down and he's no match for the fast PG like Paul, Davis, AI, Nash, Williams, and Parker.

Hate to be negative..but we are soooo screwed.

19. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

It is true that Daryl Morey said the Grizz are in financial straits.

The game was not sold out. The announced attendance was UNDER capacity of the FedEx forum with actual attendance being much lower. I was at the damn game and here is the box score to prove that my statement was true:

http://www.nba.com/games/20050429/PHOMEM/boxscore.html

Well, last season they were dead last in fan attendance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2007

This year they are ahead of New Orleans and Indiana.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2008

There is a brief mention of the Grizzlies financial struggle in this blog by ran by the Memphis Flyer blog entry: http://cmimemphis.com/grizblog/node/94.

Here is a random mention in the Memphis Commercial Appeal stating that "Shelby County taxpayers" should be concerned because they "could get stuck with debt payments on the FedExForum if the team is financially unsuccessful."

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/may/24/grizzlies-hurting-but-not-dead/

There are two implications in this article that the Grizzlies are struggling financially (http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_5548871,00.html):

"The Griz operate in a market where ticket sales are critically important, and winning the lottery would certainly put more fannies in the seats.

Tickets sales have been less than stellar even with a world class arena, FedExForum. The most loyal fans are waiting to see if the Griz come home with the goods before renewing their season tickets."

"There's no question with a lottery victory comes a media blitz. At their current rate, the Griz would need 10 seasons to be televised nationally as much as LeBron James' Cleveland squad, Wade's Miami Heat or Anthony's Denver team. The major networks would clamor at the chance to broadcast Oden or Durant's first years.

Perhaps there could be a windfall that improves the meager local television pact, too. A more lucrative contract would mean more revenue, and that compels a committed owner to spend more."

I will say that the Grizz have had pretty good corporate support, so I'll partially take that statement back, but as the team continues to struggle there's no doubt corporate support will fall off.

Would you care to explain to me how everything I said was "false," MemphisX?

#299 SirCharlesFan, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  20. JD2010

JD2010 Member

confederates these days.. lmao