1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Memphis Commercial Appeal] Pau Gasol traded to Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Starscream

Starscream Member

wow I am just digusted at these type of trades that always seem for the benefit of other teams.

When will we ever get a trade that seemingly would benefit us as this would seemingly for the damn Lakers?

I cannot fathom why we scrape each year as bottom feeders in trades getting 27 year rookies or broken down damaged goods or picking scrap from the NBADL or Mid level exception supposed rapes as our most prominent trade executions / pickups while other teams can get established prepherial allstars that have the name and immediate impact to their teams.

just disgusting,

What is wrong with us that we cannot rape a team like what the Lakers, Heat and Cletics can do in such lopsided trades. Are we the blind vultures
    that fly in the opposite direction of a dead carcass while others go in for this kind of raping?

I am so pissed at us barely getting by every year praying that the charcoals we picked up will turn into diamonds for us. Why can we not bring in ideal players that actually have direct impacts to us -qualified and established periphial stars?

This can be done as is clearly evident but why does our management fail time and time again.

The elite Western teams look like steriod injections of talent and pieces fitting in while we look like a bandaged, confused, Hastily, PANICKLY, and desperate assembled group of a team.

If we do not get impact players like this soon we will be left in the dust.

Damn a new era is already upon us, every time we face the lakers we will be considered the underdogs AGAIN! That breif period after Shaq left where we were equals or better is pretty much gone. Fucckkkkk!!

2. Tornadoofsoul6

And EVEN worse is that Memphis already has Conely as their future PG, but I believe Memphis will move Mike Miller (mark my words) so they can have a lineup of Conely/JCrit/Gay/Warrick/Milicic.

3. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Thats what I'm saying. So many of these so call Rockets fans on here prays other players but bash their own players.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

there goes the hope the lakers were going to drop out of the top 8...

5. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I think the lakers will try to move Odom or just buy him out/ He hasn't been producing and the lakers fans want to get rid of him anyway.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

nice post; please post more. people have to understand this was all about $ and summer free-agency-palooza for the Grizz.

7. Tornadoofsoul6

But fans aren't GMs, I believe the Mitch Kupchak is very cautious at trading, and will only trade if they get stupified by the trade, ala Gasol trade. Mitch didn't want to trade Odom for Kidd.

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Damn the Lakers are loooking realllllly gooood!

I guess Kobe can stop his cryyying now...

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I could see Marbury for Odom happening. 1 problem for another. But I think this trade helps Odom out. He is no longer the 2nd option. Possibly 4th when Bynum gets back. The rebounding pressure is even off the guy. He is in prime position to concentrate on making his teammates better.

10. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

That is because their owner is willing to give up the dough. This will increase their payroll quite a bit.

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Very good trade by L.A., West couldn't get tougher, these are bad news for us.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Lakers trade for Gasol

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
    February 1, 2008

The Los Angeles Lakers have acquired Memphis center Pau Gasol, league sources said Friday afternoon.

The Lakers will send center Kwame Brown and rookie point guard Javaris Crittenton to Memphis in the trade, along with two future No. 1 picks.

It is possible the Lakers will re-sign free agent Aaron McKie to send to Memphis to balance the contracts in the deal.

Gasol, a 7-footer, can play center for the Lakers until Andrew Bynum returns from a knee injury sometime in March. Then, Gasol, who is averaging 18.9 points and 8.8 rebounds, can slide over into the power forward spot. His passing and shooting skills are ideal to operate in the triangle offense. This move pushes the Lakers into championship contention.

For Memphis, Brown’s $9 million contract comes off the salary cap at the end of the season. Gasol has three years left and nearly $50 million left on his contract. He is averaging nearly 19 points and 8.8 rebounds for the Grizzlies.

The Memphis Commercial Appeal also reported the story Friday in its online edition.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Why McKie who is even not a Laker? Why they didnt ask for good cheap young players like Turiaf, Farmar? what the hell is Grizz doing other than doing Lakers many favors? :confused:

13. Tornadoofsoul6

They could've traded Gasol to us as a favor for the Gay trade..

14. Glacier

Glacier Member

Just curious which big name will show up in free agent book this summer? Thanks

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Not wanting to bash McGrady...just poke at those proponents of the silly "you can't get equal value" philosophy.

Who's better now...Shaq and the Heat....or the current Lakers? And don't give me the even sillier "Heat have a title" argument...it only reinforces how short-term your logic is. You don't evaluate trading star players after only 1 or even 2 seasons.

And the reason the Rockets were not and under Morey will NEVER be the recepients of this type of bargain basement trade? The $Ball philosophy will NEVER give you large expiring contracts to trade.

On topic...IMHO, the trade works well for both teams...Gasol is a mid-block, semi-face up / semi post up PF that should get good looks in the triangle. The Grizz will have a ton of cap space and some picks. Gasol is a better half-court player but in Iavaronni's uptempo, Warrick doesn't drop off too much from Gasol.

16. istream

istream Member

amazing trade by lakers, but next year with odom, kobe, and pau...thats like 40mil in salary right there, plus 10 mill for phil, thats spending too much in my opinion

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They can afford it.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

their team salary is still lower than the rockets.

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

which 9 million expiring contract do we have?

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Do we still have Maloney on the payroll? :eek: