1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Memphis-Chicago could tamper Houston deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GoT, Aug 13, 2004.

1. GoT

GoT Member

Memphis is inquiring about Eddy Curry, Chicago is asking for Wells and Swift. Will this tamper Houston-Chicago (Pike-Mutombo) Deal??. Chicago is asking for too much for Curry from Memphis; however, Jerry West is ..........Actually Jerry West.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

If I were Memphis, I'd do it. They need a decent center more than they need their rotation 12 deep.

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

Not sure how it would work cap wise since Wells is making 7.7 next season and Curry is still on his rookie contract.

5. GoT

GoT Member

6. GoT

GoT Member

I know that it may not work capwise that is why I said Jerry West is Jerry West.

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/basketball/article/0,1651,TCP_1190_3108557,00.html"><b>Curry on Griz radar</b></a>

Although no deal is apparently imminent, the Grizzlies' crusade for a center comes down to three options with seven weeks left until training camp begins.

The No. 1 goal still is for the Grizzlies to acquire veteran big man Erick Dampier via a sign-and-trade with Golden State. The second option is working out a deal with the Chicago Bulls to land young center Eddy Curry.

But, as team sources indicated Thursday, the third option is the Grizzlies entering the 2004-05 season without making a "big" addition to the roster.

An Internet report that the Griz have asked the Bulls about trading Curry (6-11, 300-plus, pounds) is true. But the Grizzlies aren't willing to ship Bonzi Wells and Stromile Swift - as proposed - to complete a deal for Curry.

The question the Grizzlies keep asking is what it's going to cost them, said a Grizzly insider with knowledge of trade negotiations.

According to a league source, three other teams have presented the Bulls with offers for Curry, and Bulls general manager John Paxson remains somewhat hesitant to move the underachieving Curry.

There does exist a gentle divide within the Grizzlies front office. Dampier appears to be the top pick with Griz president Jerry West. Landing Curry would satisfy the coaching staff and executives in place before West arrived.

Still, the differences between Dampier and Curry are centered on age and skill.

Dampier, 30, is older, a better rebounder and tougher defensively. Curry, 21, is younger, more skilled on offense and beefier. Both have been considered uninspired at different times throughout their careers.

Trading for Dampier would provide more immediate help; trading for Curry could mean more in the future.

To no avail, the Griz have aggressively pursued trade avenues all summer to obtain a center.

Dampier's options continue to dwindle, making it more likely that he may sign a six-year, reportedly $50 million deal with Atlanta. The Grizzlies remain hopeful that a sign-and-trade deal can be worked out with Golden State as long as Dampier treads in free-agent waters.

Golden State has yet to indicate it is willing to help Dampier with a sign-and-trade.

Curry, who averaged 14.7 points and 6.2 rebounds last season, could be viewed as a long shot. The Bulls are entertaining offers. Figuring Curry's value may preclude substantial trade talks amid routine reports about his weight.

Curry insists he's 307 pounds, rebutting reports that he's tipped the scales at nearly 320. The Bulls have asked Curry to report to training camp at 285.

According to Grizzly insiders, removing Curry from that environment (his hometown) is a motivating factor for their pursuit and could make a big difference. Plus, Curry would become a restricted free agent next season meaning the Griz wouldn't take on a long-term financial obligation should they acquire him.

They would be able to match any offer for him.

(Contact Ronald Tillery of The Commercial Appeal in Memphis, Tenn., at http://www.gomemphis.com.)

#7 Sherlock, Aug 13, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Chicago is shopping Mutombo for a backup SG. If the Bulls got Wells in a deal then they wouldnt need Pike. So yeah, it MIGHT effect a potential Mutombo for Pike deal.

If I am Memphis I think I would do that deal. They need quality over quantity. I think Curry has better upside than Swift does. And Wells is pretty useless in Memphis.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The interest is overwhelmingly on the Memphis end, rest assured. Paxson is loathe to trade what could possibly be an All-Star center one day, despite Curry's pathetic dedication and work habits.

Evan

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

From the looks of things, Mutumbo will refuse to play for the Bulls and has made it clear his desire to be traded to a playoff team (i.e. Houston, Denver). So that basically means he's gone no matter what and any potential deal with Memphis shouldn't hamper it unless he is involved in the trade---in which case, we're screwed.

But I remain optimistic a deal to bring Mt. Mutumbo to Houston will be reached.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Sources,please!!

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Even though Curry isn't that good yet, I think Chicago could get a lot more value for him. But it is the Bulls we are talking about.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Eddy Curry sucks. He's overweight, unmotivated, and can't rebound.

14. lalala902102001

Whoever trades for Curry will face a dilemma next year: how much are you willing to pay to resign him? Given the market this year, he could get a contract averaging 10 mil. per year. However, do you really want to give that kind of money to a career underachiever who has a history of weight problems. That's one of the reasons why Chicago is even listening to offers. They don't want to commit big money to someone who could turn out to be the next Tractor Traylor.

Mutombo will be traded no matter who happens with Curry. The question is who has the best offer. We may have some competition here. Rumor says that Paxon likes Tskitishvilli, who obviously has no place in Denver. If the Nuggets offer Tsitishvilli + fillers, it would be a better offer than ours.

15. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

Curry reminds me of Traylor from NO.

16. Sane

Sane Member

Well he's no Weatherspoon ;) .

Chicago would be stupid to trade Curry before the season starts. If he can get anywhere NEAR the neighbourhood of 285lbs, he'll be incredible. I wouldn't worry about Chandler - he's a hard worker and was a MONSTER on the boards last season. He's the perfect compliment to Eddy Curry - high flyer, rebounder/shotblocker, height, dirty work. Eddy Curry can put the ball in the basket and will definitely improve overall once he gets into shape. It would be tragic to see him go to the Grizzlies, lose the weight and then make Jerry West seem like a genius just because Paxson F-ed up.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Curry reminds me of the late Notorious BIG from Bad Boy.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Tyson Chandler? I thought he spent much of last season injured (bad back). I was too lazy to go check nba.com/players/tyson chandler (whatever it is) but I seem to remember that. 21 years old with a bad back.

Memphis needn't trade Bonzi and Swift for Curry; Eddy isn't worth it, big or no. He might actually start taking the game seriously when he gets away from home cooking. Then again, he might not.

19. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Memphis might be trying to get Curry and Mutombo.

I also think Curry is worth the risk, although he wouldn't be the 1st lazy center to hurt a franchise. I prefer Curry over Dampier simply because Dampier has proved that he is a career slug and will soon be on the wrong side of 30.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Maybe. But that's makes 5 C's counting Lo Wright, Stro, and Tsakalidis. Even if one of them backs up Pau, it makes the big $ spent on Brian Cardinal a little wasted.

The Bulls aquiring Wells has no trade impact. Since Mutombo doesn't want to be in CHI, a draft pick + the TE sends him this way w/o Pike.