1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

memoirs of a geisha, anyone else offended by this??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xenochimera, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Hotballa you is either one very funny man, one very drunk man or both. :D

2. Sishir Chang

The problem with that though the oath is meaningless if it isn't comprehended. If I come up to you and say "repeat after me" and say a bunch of stuff in Mandarin and you recite it to go along only to have me tell you after you said it that was an Oath of loyalty to the PRC would you feel that had any meaning in regard to you being a loyal to the PRC?

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

If I were in China it would.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. Just try using language that's not offensive to the race being talked about next time. It'll be a lot easier to make your point, and you might get a response about the point instead of how you said it.

Having said that, they're just actors. Turn down the sensitivity meter a little. I've seen Sir Alec Guinness play a Japanese man (or woman, can't remember, and can't remember the film!) in a movie. Were I Japanese, I would have been tempted to run screaming from the theatre! ;)

Keep D&D Civil.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If someone tried to make me say an oath to the PRC in any language, I'd run screaming from the theatre. I think your point is disingenuous, Sishir. One can explain the meaning of the oath, should it be required, and then the person saying it knows what the English means. I don't think it's rocket science. Maybe Rockets science. ;)

Keep D&D Civil.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Don't worry...Americans have a tendency to bastardize other cultures and call it theirs. Can you imagine Yao eating chop suey, orange chicken, and fortune cookies?

Spanglish will become the next hottest thing after Zen Buddhism...

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don't think I've ever told this story on the internet so here goes.

When I was in high school volunteering for NHS, my friends and I started talking to a black lady who was their with her daughter. The kid has some weird name like Shaqamerikana or somethin. So I was like you should call your kid Kalu. She was like I'm married to an Indian, I know what that means. I was like oh fudgesiccles I'm screwed. But she laughed it off. I was relieved.

8. Sishir Chang

I doubt it. That movie sucked. ;)

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

How about John Wayne as Genghis Khan!?! :D

Not that you can be offended by the Duke, but...