1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

memoirs of a geisha, anyone else offended by this??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xenochimera, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

yeah so this might be old but whatever umm i saw this on a chinese site that my parents visit, and now i am ****ing pissed that they actually accepted roles for this movie. oh sure call me a racist whatever, that son of a b**** Spielberg actually decided to use Chinese women, and portray them as exotic sex idols in a Jap movie!! and decided to use Gong li as some b**** mistress who mistreats those below her. the implication goes beyond the big screen, a jap story that uses chinese women?? but with a jap actor(Watabe) as the main male actor?!?!?! man if i were any of the actresses, i wouldnt have accpeted this role at all, they have all the fame and money that they need and now they are practically degrading themselves. yes i know they are not prostitutes, but they are pretty damn close to being prostitutes. how pissed would african americans be if they used say i dont know some purto rican dude to play ray charles...wait thats not even a fair comparison, say they used gee uhhh tom hank to play hmmmmm say bin laden!!, common cant they just find some jap chicks to do this movie?? i am so bootlegging this movie and selling it!!!!

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Go away. Go very far away.

Keep D&D Civil.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

jap chicks? chink chicks? What's the difference?

[edit: this was meant to only offend the original poster. the rest of you can just ignore.]

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not offended, but the casting was lame. Why make a Japanese movie and use all Chinese actresses. The feel is already messed up by that decision, and it looks like it is next to impossible for the movie to really come together as a cohesive project.

When I saw the preview I kept wondering if it was a story of a Chinese girl who ends up being a Geisha, but then they were almost all Chinese in the preview and it became apparent that that wasn't the story line.

5. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Actually I thought Japanese people would be more offended by this. Instead of casting famous Japanese females, Spielberg decided to cast Chinese females as if Japanese females aren't suitable to play a part of their own ethnicity.

Maybe you don't like the fact that a Japanese man plays opposite of a Chinese female?

6. Xenochimera

umm no i dont like it because its using an all chinese cast portrayed as almost sluts, i mean if they used korean women south koreans would be cutting of its fingers.

7. Xenochimera

or think it this way, a jewish actor playing a nazi officers, or as smokey put it, a jewish actor playing an arab and vise versa.

8. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Nope, still don't see it. Maybe if the role was demeaning to Chinese people, but isn't the role more demeaning to the Japanese by showing a part of their culture where the women are slutty? There are no geisha in China. Most people (non-asian) will probably associate the role with the Japanese rather than Chinese. Heck, I doubt they even care. They probably just want to check out the hot chicks.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is an acting part. That is the crazy thing about movies, people can play sluts without being them, or even cast as sluts without the director trying to make an a statement that all of a certain type of person is a slut in real life.

They are acting a role.

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

"memoirs of a geisha, anyone else offended by this??"
    No, I'm not offended in the least bit.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

In 'House of Sand and Fog', Ben Kingsley plays a Persian...

Anyways, I think because this movie is likely geared towards a western audience it is not as big a deal as if it was made for China/Japan.....and that's probably why the actresses themselves agreed to do the film......hell, I'm not complaining since they're all hot....well at least Gong Li used to be hot....they are all very good actresses as well.......I'm sure there are some hot Japanese actresses out there too, but I don't really know of any....so as a westerner and part of the target audience, I may actually end up seeing this film in part b/c I am already familiar with the cast....I can see how you might be offended, but maybe just try and look at it in terms of business and selling tickets...

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No one is offended by this, and if you ARE offended, it is a sure sign of latent homosexuality, seek help now !

Not that there is anything wrong with that...

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm offended that there's no mention of nudity for those three actresses in the movie.

15. Zion

Zion Member

isn't "jap" a derogatory(sp) term? :confused:

16. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

"The following is a list of ethnic slurs that are, or have been, used to refer to members of a given ethnicity (or in some cases, nationality, region or religion) in a derogatory or pejorative manner. The term is listed, followed by its primary user(s) and a definition.

Jap/Jappo
    (U.S./UK Commonwealth) someone of Japanese descent"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

Hey, numnuts, how about not throwing around ethnic slurs when making an uneducated accusation of racism? The term you liberally use is the same that was used to demean Japanese soldiers as well as Japanese Americans being interned in the U.S. With this post you've lost any ethos you might have had on this board.

Moreover, your point is incoherent and largely racist in itself. So a Chinese ACTRESS can't play a part of being Japanese??? Isn't part of being an actor/actress assuming a role that isn't actually yourself? Why does a Chinese actress playing a Japanese geisha have anything to do with Chinese or Japanese relations? Oh wait, I think i know what it has to do. You sound like a supremacist who can't stand the fact that a Chinese actress is playing a Japanese role because it somehow debases the Chinese people. A role that these women VOLUNTARILY CHOSE by the way. Your attitude is analagous to me getting upset about the movie "Jungle Love" because I can't stand the fact that a white woman would be sexually involved with a black man. The only thing that seems racist to me is you.

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Gong Li is not Chinese. The only color she is interested in is Green, because she is a capitalist w**** who will play any role if they pay her enough.

18. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Yes it is and its uncalled for. Considering how many Chinese were offended by the uninformed use of the term "Chinaman" by a white American the least we can do is point out when a Chinese uses an ethnically offensive term.

In regard to the issue of Gong Li and other Chinese actresses portraying Japanese I'm not bothered by it at all. There have been Japanese actors in Hollywood and in Hong Kong who've played Chinese. Gong Li is being cast because she's well known not out of some irony of having a Chinese play a Japanese. Its like casting Renee Zellwegger (American from Texas) to play the British Bridget Jones or the British Jude Law to play a Confederate soldier in Cold Mountain Ken Watanabe is being cast because he's been getting well known from roles in Last Samurai and Batman Begins.

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

That goes for the vast majority of actors.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

w**** + hot = Why I spent X years in college