1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo Wants the Max Next Summer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by apostolic3, Oct 22, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I hope they give it to him because the weight of his contract will hamstring the Nuggets for years. I see a big collision this year between Melo and George Karl. Melo will want to pump his numbers up while Karl will try to control him and force him to do things Karl's way.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_4179214,00.html

Melo looking for the max

Anthony's agent claims star forward should get big deal with big year

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
    October 22, 2005

LOS ANGELES - The Denver Nuggets can negotiate a contract extension next summer for forward Carmelo Anthony. If you ask his agent, there might not be much to negotiate.

Calvin Andrews said Friday his client figures to be in line for a maximum deal.

"If he has the season that we expect, I would see it as a no-brainer," Andrews said of a maximum contract. "If not (the Nuggets), somebody will (offer him one)."

But Andrews is hoping it won't come to that. He wants to lock up a deal next summer and have Anthony avoid becoming a restricted free agent in summer 2007.

"We want to stay in Denver," Andrews said. "Denver is the place."

Anthony, entering his third season, should have his fourth-year contract option picked up by Oct. 31. Anthony and the Nuggets then would be able to negotiate a five-year extension that begins in 2007-08 by next summer.

When asked if he deserves the maximum, Anthony said, "I ain't talking about that right now." But he left no doubt about his desire to hammer out a deal next summer and remain in Denver.

"Of course," said Anthony, who was given a day off Friday, sitting out Denver's 97-91 preseason win against Washington at the Staples Center. "I love it here."

A current maximum contract for a player in Anthony's classification would start at $12 million and be worth $72.6 million over five years. If the first-year maximum salary is $13 million in 2007-08, a five-year deal would be worth $78.65 million.

"No doubt," Nuggets center Marcus Camby said of Anthony deserving a maximum deal. "He's been proving it ever since his one year at Syracuse and his first couple of years in the league. He's a superstar in my mind, and he deserves to be paid the superstars' bucks."

For now, the Nuggets are concentrating on Nene, a big man who can have his contract extended by Oct. 31. But the general belief is Nene, who has taken out an insurance policy to protect himself in the event of injury, will end up becoming a restricted free agent next summer.

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe declined to comment on the possibility of Anthony receiving a maximum deal, but he said there is "no question" he wants to keep Anthony.

If Anthony were to sign a maximum deal, he would make an amount similar to the $13 million base salary Denver forward Kenyon Martin will earn in 2007-08. Martin has a seven-year, $92.5 million deal, but an Anthony contract could be worth more on an average yearly basis.

"Yeah," Martin said about Anthony receiving a maximum contract. "He's the face of the franchise."

NUGGETS WIN SHOOTOUT: The Nuggets had more talent on the bench than on the court. Nevertheless, they still were able to defeat the Wizards to win the title of the Los Angeles Shootout.

Guard Voshon Lenard led the Nuggets with 19 points and guard DerMarr Johnson added 17. Denver never trailed in the second half in raising its preseason mark to 4-1.

"We're a team right now that likes to play and is a little more together than most of the teams," said Nuggets coach George Karl.

Among those joining Anthony in getting a day off were Martin, Earl Boykins and Francisco Elson. Sitting out because of injury were Bryon Russell (sore knee) and Camby (sore foot).

Wanting to look at players on the bubble, Karl started center Eric Chenowith, who scored seven points in 16 minutes. But center Nigel Dixon was better, grabbing 13 rebounds in 20 minutes.

"Rebounding is something that I've got a knack for," said Dixon, who remains a long shot to make the team.

ETC.: Karl was impressed with how assistant Scott Brooks did in coaching Denver's 105-94 win against the Los Angeles Lakers on Thursday. "It was the best starting pace we've had all year long," said Karl, who will give the reins to Brooks when he is suspended for the first three games of the regular season . . . Camby will host 20 underprivileged youngsters for a Thanksgiving dinner at the J.W. Marriott in Cherry Creek. Camby said the annual Cambyland Christmas, where he provides a shopping spree for youngsters, probably will be Dec. 22 at Foley's in Cherry Creek . . . Andrews got field passes Sunday and was joined on the sidelines of an Oakland Raiders game by Anthony, Boykins, Russell and Nuggets guard Julius Hodge.

2. Zboy

Zboy Member

Yup, I hope he gets the max deal from the Nuggets too. Only because I think it will hurt the Nuggets in the long run. :D

IMO he is a good player but not anywhere to an elite player that can change the complexion of the game on a consistent basis. With this signing the Nuggets will continue to have holes in their games. As an opponent, you can either chose to attack lack of outside range by Kenyon Martin and Andre Miller, or you can tempt Anthony into having lots of shots and completely freeze his teamates off, which he is apt to do due to his somewhat selfish attitude on the court.

3. RocketsFAN3035

Every player thinks they deserve the max. Shoot, I want a max contract, but it aint happenin. The problem with the NBA right now is that there are too many guys who get the max who don't deserve it. I mean, outside of shooting, what does Micheal Redd Provide. Few guys deserve Max $$:

No Particular order

T-Mac
    Yao
    Shaq
    DWade
    Lebron
    Dirk (I know)
    Paul Pierce (actually, he is iffy)
    KG
    Tim Duncan
    Amare (depending on that Injury)
    Dwight Howard (will be some day)
    Kobe

no one else really comes to mind, so I'm prepared to be flamed for something

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

I think I've argue this before that a lot of NBA players deserve "or atleast is worth the max". However, the max seriously hampers the ability of the players you listed to make more than the max.

5. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I would add Iverson. I know. I know. He's not the most fundamental player, but he fills the seats every night. A guy who boosts interest in your franchise that much deserves all the cheddar he can get.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Please explain why Melo shouldn't get the max.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Not a lot of people here complained when Franchise got the max.

It was only after...

8. danielf

danielf Member

As with any wage, its a matter of supply and demand. There are 30 teams in the league each of which can afford on average one max contract. Therefore there are 30 players who deserve the max...

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

The Rockets and several teams have about two, not to mention if a team drafted 3 good players and decide to keep them all, you're gonna go to three. A lot of players are and should be getting the max.

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Member

I think someone will happily pay Melo the max. If I were the Nugz, I'd seriously look into some type of sign and trade for Melo. He's a solid player, but I don't think a true franchise. The best case scenario for the Nugz would be to S&T him for a more talented player that is disgruntled with his current team. Somewhat like what happened with T-Mac.

11. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Member

I agree that Melo will get the Max but people dont think he deserves it because he is not good enough.

There are players that get the max because they are franchise players.

Tmac / KG / Shaq / Kobe / Duncan / Yao / Amare / JKidd / DWade / Lebron / Dirk / VCarter / AI

Then there are players who get the max for being the best player on their team for better or worse.

JRich / PPierce / MRedd / JRose / SFrancis / Melo

too bad for Denver Melo will command max money since there is always a team willing to shell out the dough.. (look at teams clearing cap space for Lebron) if he's not available someone will pick up Melo. I think Denver wants to wait until Melo's a RFA and then just match any offer.. it delays his max contract a few years.

J

12. RocketsFAN3035

Actually, I'd prefer if someone could explain why he deserves it. Clearly, the guys drafted around him in that draft have been solid, sans Melo, who did not have that good a year last year.

Lebron-the 2nd coming of MJ, according to the media
    DWade-Fantastic player
    Bosh-Going to be a good one

Whats Melo done? All these guys showed improvemnt not only statistically, but, teammates and opponets alike all praised them. Whats Melo done?

13. forebay

forebay Member

So watermelo is getting a Max while a while back some rox fans claim yao should ask less 'for the good of the tream'.

14. meh

meh Member

I'm not sure why fans are so caught up with the concept of "max money". What happened to just look at the contract itself? Sure, there are some players where the player is worth so much more than the max, that giving them the max is actually a low-ball offer from the team. But that hardly means that these players are the only ones deserving of the standard 5yr/$78 mil contract extension.

I don't think Melo is worth the above contract. Neither do I think he'll get it. He doesn't have the star power (yet) to make his team be scared of him jumping ship. The Nugs have all the leverage. This isn't a case like a Yao or a Lebron. Where the team is geniunely afraid of the player signing elsewhere. There's no way Melo pass up the security of a long-term contract for a few million dollars.

15. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Member

Nuggets4 where are you?

16. Asian Sensation

If Melo wants max money next summer then he'll play like he deserves max money this year. But based on the 2 previous years alone... I wouldn't say he's deserving of max money.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

He has, if you're under 23, and you avg 20.0 ppg your first few seasons you deserve the max. Max is a cap, meaning it's keeping the players that are would've gotten more than that (Kobe, T- Mac, Yao) from getting more. But Melo is good enough for the max.

18. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I think it was more wishful thinking on their part. Yao is known as a humble good guy, wouldn't it be awesome if he took a pay cut so we could have better pieces surrounding him was probably the thinking.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

who cares about melo..he doesn't deserve the max.

the best part of this article is that Scotty Brooks is gonna coach the first 3 of the season! sweeeeet..go scotty!

20. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Member

Sorry I'm late. I need to get something like the bat signal that lets me know when you guys post a Nugs thread.

I've been saying it since Karl got hired. Melo and Karl are great for each other for the first three years. That means I have another 2 years of prosperity before Melo goes Spree on Karl's ass and the Nugs plummet to the bottom of the standings.

Melo has worked his ass off htis year. Karl has been riding him hard. Melo has been playing great in training camp. He'll make the all-star team this year. I have no problems with giving him the max right now. Could it backfire 3 or 4 years down the line? Yeah. That's a risk you have to take though. The Nuggets are favored to win their division and I've seen some predicting a conference finals birth this season. You do what you have to do to win now, screw the future.

EDIT: I missed this post the first time:

Please tell me you're kidding. He's only led his team to the playoffs his first two years in the league while being the leading scorer both of those years.