1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo vs. Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Jan 19, 2011.

?

Would you trad Martin for a Melo rental?

1. Yes, I would trade Martin for a Melo rental straight up

82 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. No, Martin is worth more than that

96 vote(s)
    53.9%
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Martin is super efficient, Melo is not, yet it seems Morey (not to mention most of this board including myself) would trade Martin for Melo in a heartbeat.

Nate Silver in the NYTimes offers this :

Berri responds to Silver here.

Also, on the ESPN NBA Today podcast , Henry Abbott argues (at the 7:00 mark) that he would rather have Kevin Martin (who he says is the most efficient wing scorer in history) taking a final shot than Melo or Kobe (who Abbott says miss as many clutch shots as they make). Abbott says this is only valid if the team doesn't run an iso play, which he thinks is dumb. If the only option is an iso play, Martin is probably not the best choice as we have seen.

If we are only getting Melo as a rental, I'm not sure it's worth giving up Martin for him.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think this has been posted in the Dish...but it basically comes down to what this team needs more and that's a player who can get his own offense when isolated. Melo will get more attention at times and should give others more open looks, hopefully increasing the team efficiency to make up for the loss of Martin.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Newsflash: Rockets are not getting Carmelo Anthony. The guy is p***y-whipped and will only play where his wife allows him.

4. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Imo, Morey wants to keep Melo and Martin together. Melo gets Martin better looks.

5. mazinger

mazinger Member

No, I would only trade Martin for Melo if Melo sings an extension. But i'm up for Brooks for Melo rental.

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Brooks for Melo rental is fair since he has no years left on his contract. Let Denver lose him for nothing. Fire their GM and his whole incompetent Denver staff when he ends up in New York in the offseason for nothing. Mark my words.

Melo to New York for practically nothing
    GM gets fired
    Denver has a disastrous collapse like I predicted for Cleveland and Toronto

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

8. Hball

Hball Member

I'd do it in a heartbeat, even if he bolts we can be a bottom team and get higher draft picks :) I mean whats the point in building around a second tier talent anyways to be like the pacers and sixers with granger and iggy?

He does put up great offensive numbers due to his ability to draw fouls and shoot but he lacks the most important aspect you need in clutch, the ability to iso and that to me makes him overrated.

That's why a guy like melo can carry a team to the playoffs and martin never has because games are won in the fourth quarter no matter how efficient he is in the first 3.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok so what if he carries the team to the playoffs, loses in the first round then leaves for NY after the summer?

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Better known as the "Jordan effect."

11. Hball

Hball Member

Then we can be a bottom team with the ability to improve through the draft, instead of a being a middle of the pack team missing the playoffs and missing and missing a high draft pick.

12. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Give DM a night alone with her and see if that's still true...

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be better to trade our veterans for picks and young players rather than Melo then?

Hypothetically speaking
    Martin + Scola = Melo?
    or
    Martin + Scola = Favors plus a mid/low 1st rounder?

I'd take the latter over the former in a heartbeat.

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yes it would. We are carmelo drunk right now with power though. Must feed the Carmelo group its talk. Kind like the Bosh phenomenon. Whatever hot trade guy is on the Rockets radar just MUST COME HERE! Every single time one pops up... :)

15. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Melo, Melo!

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade Ish Smith for a rental Melo. What's the point of adding a player for the rest of the season when he's not enough to get you to the finals? If we could sign him long term that's another story.

18. ABforPresident

This should be NO QUESTION! Why would anyone want to give up their best player for a guy who would play half a season and then leave? Espically when even with Melo, this team is no where near contension..what a waste of K-mart.

Now if getting a rental Melo means a chance he likes it hear and we have a slight chance of getting an extension, Then you might have an argument. But for a straight up rental with him leaving to NY would be beyond stupid.

19. University Blue

I wouldn't even trade KM for CM straight up.

As far as I can tell, KM is a model citizen, gifted scorer, (better looking), consummate professional, and ... wants to play in Houston.

20. blunto

blunto Member

Henry Abbott guests on the NBA Today podcast for Jan 19th, and pretty much admits to having googly eyes for Kevin Martin.

Streaming Podcast

MP3

Lots of Melo talk, and they compare the two players head to head. Kind of amazing how Abbott seems to basically ignore situational efficiency.