1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Melo Thread] Woj: OKC and Melo to part ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 6, 2018.

1. hakeemthagreat

Have you watched the Rockets play? If you have Harden or CP drawing the defense in, once the ball swings to the weakside all it takes is one jab step & the court is WIDE open. Chris Paul made a KILLIN with those open midrange shots. Contested shot? I'm not sure what team you were watching last year

Htownballer38 likes this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

Smh. Are you guys familiar with how we play? That's WELCOMED in this offense. We encourage iso ball here. Harden's gonna be the primary ball handler anyway. I'm not sure why some of you don't comprehend this

Htownballer38 likes this.
  3. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We do not want iso to lead to inefficient mid range shots

5. hakeemthagreat

Vague baseless claims are easy to make when you dont really watch the Rockets play

6. justtxyank

Hahahahahahahahaha

7. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I’d take Melo on the cheaps. If it doesn’t work out we can cut or possibly even trade him since he won’t have a large contract

PeterKingX likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Tilman is misspelled. Tilman can only tolerate one L. @heypartner

DonKnock likes this.
  9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What the hell are you talking about?

Since Harden got here, Rockets have played pretty much the same way.

1. Threes
    2. Lay ups
    3. Free throws

Only players that been allowed to take mid range shots freely have been Harden (who hardly takes any) and Paul. Dwight was given some inefficient post up play to calm his ego, but other than that, our iso offense has been based on creating opportunities of the pick and roll and drive and kick and Harden has been given the freedom to the whatever the hell he wants because he is damn efficient. So is Paul. Melo, he better get with the ****ing program because his inefficient long twos do not work in this offense.

Sadboy likes this.
  10. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

He wants to be involved, there is a difference.

He'll get his opportunities with Houston, in OKC it's all about Russ. I watched 60+ games and seen it.

11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Bay, nice to meet you.

12. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

@justtxyank is a knicks guy. His view of melo is going to hold some bias

seclusion likes this.
  13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Low risk, high reward.

Its stupid not to do that.

34to11 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i couldnt help but laugh also

15. hakeemthagreat

What the hell are you talking about? The inefficient 2's you claim he takes won't be the same looks he gets here. This ain't a Billy Donovan ran offense. Our offense is predicated off spacing. Ppl are so dismissive of Melo's game but can't put together a coherent explanation on why he won't fit. "Melo's strictly a iso player", well we play the most isoball in NBA history. "Melo's not a superstar", who cares. If Melo can give us 15-17pts & atleast compete on defense it'll work period.

Ryan_Success likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

actually its quite the opposite. And theres probably 50 pages of valid discussions maybe even more. you know what isn't valid is the same thing posted over and over about Melo being here.

All of it is based on if this, if that. All a bunch of assumptions. nothing but blaming any other factor but taking any accountability for melo himself. well cp3 is here he can babysit melo. as if he and harden dont have enough on their plate as is. I have to see even valid reasons on why a featured melo would be an upgrade for this team. the closest thing is a limited role. other than that nothing

Zboy and Sadboy like this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

So you also believe in the mythical USA Melo guy? Look man, I have no problem being proven wrong because that will mean that Melo has bought into our system and he is very capable of being a good player with us if he sticks to being the mythical USA guy. I don't want to kid myself believing he will play that way just because his friend is here.

His interviews were very telling last year and the way he approached the game was telling. Outside of team USA he has been playing the same way for his entire career. It's not as if Donovan has coached him his whole career. He has been coached by George Karl, Phil Jackson, Mike DAntoni and other coaches. The guy loves the iso type ball that only creates for himself and no others. He isn't a great passer, nor is he looking for others. He is looking for his inefficient 20-ft jump shot.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, I'll be glad to admit, but I'm not kidding myself like so many are.

YOLO likes this.
  18. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

My only thoughts re: Melo are:

1) I don’t see any way CP3 allows him to be a cancer on the team. If CP is pushing for him, he will own it and keep him in line. MDA is also a much more experienced coach than Donavan and our system will play to Melo’s strengths.

2) I know their talent lies in different areas, but on a PER or PIE basis, Melo last year was slightly better or on par w Ariza. So you’re essentially replacing a $15 MM player with I would assume $5 MM. This doesn’t even take into account the flexibility Morey now has to truly find an Ariza replacement defensively - we will have the offense Ryno was supposed to provide so let’s take his albatross contract, incentivize it, and grab a guy like Bazemore.

Low low low risk & high reward. If we resign Luc + Capela and add 1 more forward, we would be in a great position for next season.

hakeemthagreat and Junkyard Dog like this.
  19. justtxyank

What are you talking about haha

A knicks guy????

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

ppl need to relax, CP3 just got paid 40mil/year, part of that money also goes to him being a leader. He will keep Melo in check and I'm 100% sure he will do better than he did in OKC on our team.

Tfor3, jb86, Chamillionaire and 6 others like this.