1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Melo Thread] Woj: OKC and Melo to part ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 6, 2018.

1. hakeemthagreat

The Rockets don't really have specific options. They take what the defense gives them. Teams will focus on Harden, and Melo will have space to create however he wishes. Remember, playing w/ WB ain't like playing w/ Harden & CP. You WILL get opportunities here

2. hakeemthagreat

Hogwash. Melo will get the best looks of his career here. If open, his efficiency will increase tremendously. Given how we play he'll fit fine as a SF/PF

Htownballer38, DonKnock and lionaire like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not a chance. The offense runs through Harden and CP3; the others get what they get based off what those 2 do.

Melo would be, at best, a bench player here. And he literally laughed at the suggestion that he could come off the bench.

4. basketballholic

Yes. I said if he were our starting center we wouldn't make the playoffs. We BARELY made it with Howard. There was no way we would've made it without Howard and Capela taking his spot.

5. hakeemthagreat

That's what I said lol. The offense runs through James, teams will be forced to focus on him & CP ( Paul on some nights) leaving Melo space to create. Teams will have to give Melo one on one opportunities with their best defenders on Harden. It's a win win for us

At best a bench player? That's delusional lol. With Ariza gone, who's exactly starting over Melo at SF?

Htownballer38 likes this.
  6. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

who can give him the most money? @BimaThug This is the big question, think he has a house in L.A its an easier transition, nice weather unlike houston, beaches, lifestyle, lala is there often, friends etc

which one does he pick, we will see... if he really wants to compete with GS this year it will be us but I think lakers aren't done with their moves. But he could be thinking they will pay him next summer vs Houston

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wonder why that exact strategy didn't work in OKC, and I why Carmelo complained about that role in OKC but would be cool with it in Houston.

At best, yes. Most likely if we were to get to GSW again in the playoffs then Melo would be unplayable. Hell, Melo was unplayable against the Jazz so it might not even take GSW to get him glued to the bench.

As for who will start in Ariza's spot... I have no idea. I just hope it's not Melo.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Not in good enough shape.

9. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

If Melo
    If Melo keeps up with his selfish ways his next stop might be his last.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He doesn’t want open mid range shots he wants to create them for himself. He’s never been efficient at it but it’s his favorite shot

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya i watched a lot of okc games last season (just for the giggles) and melo would be missing wide open shots to no end. then he'd try to get himself going by shooting 18ft baseline off the dribble J's. good times

btw if those touches now go to adams instead, okc could actually become a decent opponent for us

justtxyank likes this.
  12. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Its crazy how some of the same people who believe Westbrook is the problem and that OKC cant win with how he plays feel Melo is the problem and a cancer because he doesnt want to accept a role which allows OKC and Westbrook to keep doing the same things, producing the same results.

Having Melo here would be very benecial. Harden could get more rest. Melo can also bring the ball up the court, he is a good ball handler and passer. Parts of his game he didnt get to showcase in OKC. Its very frustrating, a player of his caliber, not getting touches 2, 3, sometimes even 4 posessions at a time.

Htownballer38 and Plowman like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Never heard him say he didn't want to be 3rd option.

And his role in Houston would not preclude mid range game or isolations.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  14. BasketballMind

When he gets the ball, he wants to do more because of all the criticism. He wants to prove to himself and others he's still a valuable player. Ive watched a lot of OKC games. Multiple possessions would pass without Melo touching the ball, and Adams is Westbrook's bread and butter. Melo needs to be on a team where he'd be involved more in the offense and let him bring the ball up sometimes. He'd be more than happy to be that "team player" we saw in the Olympics and much more motivated on defense. He wants to feel valued and appreciated.

Htownballer38 and Plowman like this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i mean, steven adams shot 63% from the field last season so i think he should be WB's bread n butter. melo is just old and his game too inefficient now. if he was willing to be the 6th man i'd be a lot more willing to see how he might work out with us. but in the starting lineup next to harden our perimeter defense is going to be swiss cheese

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fwiw, i'm not even sure Melo had any interest in play well for OKC, i can actually see him playing bad on purpose just to reach this point, i mean, opt in for the money, get stretched and end up where he really wants to be...lol

DonKnock and jch1911 like this.
  17. BasketballMind

Harden played well defensively last season and I think he will be even better next season. The reason why Harden is MVP because how he plays is more effecient than players like Westbrook and gets players around him better looks. Those same shots Ariza took, I have no doubt Melo will hit those. Ariza also took a lot of dumb, contested shots for us as well. I agree with you we won't be as good defensively without Ariza, but the Rockets will be more versatile and will create more matchup issues for opposing teams. Offensively, I have complete faith the players and staff will figure it out.

Htownballer38 and pippendagimp like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just RT'd by Daryl. Melo = lottery ticket ;)

SuperMarioBro and DonKnock like this.
  19. OKCRocket

OKCRocket Member

Just replacing brick 3s with contested bricked twos with Melo

SuperMarioBro likes this.
  20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Please keep him out of Houston at all costs...

Sadboy likes this.