1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Melo Thread] Woj: OKC and Melo to part ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Exactly, no one thinks about that. But if we had melo would we ever be in the wcf and up 3-2? Hmmm lol

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree Grant at the 4 scares me. The thunder have 3 really long defenders to throw at Harden. Would not be surprised if they were significantly better this year.

Roberson coming back, Paul George and Grant.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

why should anyone care? its a fantasy and assumption. In no way is it a valid justification

4. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Yes. And CP3 probably would be healthy cause you would have somebody else capable of scoring in iso situations.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

then in the playoffs Melo dipped to 21% from 3 and was borderline unplayable against Utah

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Am I crazy to want Love more than Melo? Love makes slightly more than Anderson, and the rockets could send some picks to sweeten an Anderson deal. Plus, if the Cavs find themselves desperate to shed salary, Anderson isn't a half bad buyout candidate with stretch. I like Melo, but I think all we need is love.

Little Bit likes this.
  7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Melo could be good if

1. he gives up his three point shot
    2. sticks to his midrange game
    3. becomes smarter at taking good midrange jumpers
    4. hustles more for rebounds

Is he willing to finally change and put less pressure on himself?

8. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

Melo would be significantly better on the Rockets then he was on the Thunder. Yes we take a step back defensively, but that wasn’t the issue in game 6 and game 7. We would go on stretches where we couldn’t get buckets. Insert Melo on the block for a easy turn around jumper. Melo and CP3 opens up the midrange dynamic in our offense making it even more difficult to stop us, being proficient from the 3, in the midrange, and under the basket.

OKCs ball movement was trash. Very rarely had solid ball movement with a team full of ball stopers, and no true point guard ever on the court. Put Melo at the 4, and move PJ to the 3 and he will be on the court with a HOF point guard at all times to find him easy buckets. This is a no-brainer at vet min, and still a good value pickup if it’s for the MLE. When you have a chance to add a HOFer you at least kick the tires, and hope for the best.

9. Nook

Nook Member

This.

It isn't Anthony getting physically taken advantage of. It is that Anthony is unpredictable on a switch and that can cause the entire defense to break down.

YOLO likes this.
  10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So this is Plan B?

I'd rather have an abortion. :eek:

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol. people are drilling ariza for his shooting yet melo shot even worse in the playoffs. ironic

Reeko likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

people must still think Melo is a star or some sh*t

if we had Melo for games 6 or 7 against GS out there playing 25+ mpg then our defense takes a big hit...people acting like Melo is still some big time scorer when in reality no one is fearing his offense these days

we beat GS with defense and holding them to around 100 or less, but I guess some people weren’t paying attention

Deuce, justtxyank and YOLO like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Seriously, the man has been in the league 16 years, and has NEVER show a willingness to play high effort basketball, nor commit to a team concept on either side of the ball.

Why do people think that will change. He's just older and slower.

Not all that great a shooter either.

YOLO likes this.
  14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Go look at Melo’s stats vs Rockets Amazing Defense last year

20 points (8/12), 5 rebs (31 min)

22 points (7/14), 6 rebs, (35 Min)

23 points (8/18).. 4/10 from three. (33 min)

Ariza had 7 games over 20 points last year.

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

Tfor3 and bro2044 like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

I guess it’s because Melo can make the occasional turnaround fadeaway or tough jumper with a hand in his face...people don’t notice all the bricks that came with it as well

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

He would be joining an established team with a pecking order already in place. He'd be expected to be a good soldier and go along with Harden and CP's way of doing things.

With LA, he'd be helping to form a new team. I personally think he'll go this route as it lets him carve out his own place in things, rather than sliding into a place that's already carved. Plus LA is a showbiz city, and that was one of his criteria for moving to NY.

Ryan_Success and Amel like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone thinks that Melo is a star anymore, but if put in the right system with the right guys around him he can be a positive contributor. I mean hell if Gerald Green can be a positive contributor in the right system with the right players around him who thinks Melo can't? Even Josh Smith was a positive contributor under those circumstances and he was run out of literally every other city he ever played in the NBA.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Those guys realized their diminished status in the league.

Carmelo still thinks, and expects to be treated, like a big deal.

Humbled and hungry Carmelo might be worth a look...no reason to think that version exists.

YOLO likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

GG gets limited minutes off the bench and isn't an every game contributor. he has his spurts. Melo and his baggage that he brings, is in no way comparable.