1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MELO HAS BEEN USED AND PLAYED, says Stephen A Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

You are WRONG 100% , before he was free agent he said he will sign in the place where it gave him the best chance to win a title....then he choose NY.
    So yes it was and always is about the money with Melo period.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Melo haters out in force...and they don't even know why.

why?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Please articulate why you hate Melo, or even just to say you don't like him.

He does things on the court that are extra...

...extra
    ordinary...

I love to watch him play basketball.

Not sure how anyone who calls themselves a bball fan would hate Carmelo Anthony. OK....

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I love this primary criticism about Melo and his money.

Please explain to me how his $22 mill is cap killing and destroys any chances the Knicks have to build a contender: http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/NYK.html

...and also, please explain how Dwight's $22 mill is NOT cap killing and DOESN'T destroy any chance we had to build a contender:http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/HOU.html

...while you are at it, prepare you anuses for Dwight opting out next summer and signing a monster extension.

Willful ignorance

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wow this is turning the facts on his head. Why don't you set it straight?

*Lebron grew up in Cleveland but his Cavaliers teams all suck, even though they reached the Finals it was all based on Lebron's efforts and they will never win a ring because LBJ is only human and can't win a ring by himself.
    *He went to the superfriends but it also meant leaving his God status in Cleveland where he had everything he could ever want and go to another person's turf, and he took LESS money to do so. This shows LBJ's desire to win.

*In contrast, Melo was in a winning situation but he demanded to go to his hometown which was a perennial loser so if look at the facts, he did the opposite of Lebron. Even worse, he facilitated a trade that stripped NYC of all of its assets just so he can get a bigger contract, essentially dooming the franchise in terms of competitiveness. Also didn't Melo say in the summer he was all about winning and he'd go to the team that gave him the best chance to win a ring? So why would he say that if he all about NYC and didn't want to leave his hometown? And after all that BS he still went ahead and signed another contract with NYC, a franchise that has no CHANCE of wining a ring. So Melo doesn't necessarily love NYC because he said he'll leave to go to a contending team, and then he didn't go to a contending team when NYC showed him the big bucks. Melo's not about the money? Gimme a break he's all about the money and status and high glamour life of NYC :rolleyes:

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

They make the same amount but how they got it tells the real story. Houston got Dwight Howard for FREE because he went to the Rockets as a free agent, and to do so he turned down the extra $$$ from endorsements and the glamor life in LA. On the other hand, Melo was going to be a free agent and like Dwight, he could've waited 1 season and then sign with the team of his choice which is NYC. But, since he wanted all the $$$ he could get his grubby little hands on he demanded a mid season trade that pretty much cost all of the young assets NYC had, assets they could've kept or traded for other pieces to build a contending team around him. This is the reason why Houston is flush out the wazoo with good young players while still having Dwight whereas the only good asset NYC has apart from Melo is Kristaps, having money is one thing but trade chips and assets are also extremely important in building a contending team.

To my eyes the willfully ignorant one here is you since you obviously didn't even do a little bit of research and just looked at the raw numbers.

As for Dwight if he opts out and signs a mega extension, the Rockets will have to think long and hard if they keep him around. While it would suck to lose Dwight if they think he isn't worth then the Rockets are in a position that they can replace him with another player since they have cap room if Dwight leaves. This is the difference between a team that has assets and team that leaves and dies with Melo.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Dude, we aren't even on the same page. So many posts in this thread have been about the 2014 free agency with Melo taking the money and killing the Knicks cap over a winning opportunity in Houston or Chicago.

You are referencing something that happened in 2011.

So, if we play by your point about acquiring Dwight without losing assets, the Knicks reacquired Melo without losing assets. See how dumb that sounds?

IIRC, Melo's decision was made in part to allow the Knicks to retain the right to extend him instead of giving in to the CBA uncertainty of 2011 (aka the impending lockout). Not totally indefensible

I am not going to even begin to defend the Knicks' FO ineptitude since Patrick Ewing was in the league. In fact, comparing it to Morey's tenure is about as unfair as it gets, and blaming it all on Melo's deal/trade is about as stupid as it gets.

Having said that, PJax at least made a move int he right direction by clearing the cap of all the bloated contracts and holding onto as many assets as possible.

#147 shastarocket, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree with Roslian about this. The 2011 free agency was brought up bc that was one of two visible instances where Carmelo has a decision point and he made a decision to choose winning over money and he didn't. He could have waited half a year and not stripped NY of assets (in fact Donnie Walsh) was refusing to do the deal and wanted to get Carmelo in free agency where he wouldn't have lost any assets. But Carmelo wanted the trade so he could get the 5 years in sign and trade over four years in free agency, so he forced NYs hand and Dolan stepped in and forced the trade over Walsh. This was all news at the time. I don't blame him for choosing money over winning, but he made that choice in 2011. Go to 2014. He could have chosen the Bulls (more likely) or Houston for winning and really good money. But he chose NY and a clearly crappy talent situation because again he wanted the money 5 years guaranteed versus 4 years. I get why he stayed - money, family, NY. Which is also fine, but he shouldn't have been telling everyone for months before that he was all about winning this time instead of just saying everything is a factor. He was fooling himself into thinking Jackson would waive a wand and he'd get his cake and eat it too when everyone knows they were far away. Also, I read recently he was supposed to be part of the big three in Miami, but because he wanted 5 years guaranteed he chose a 5 year contract instead of an opt out at 3, so he missed the chance to go there and bosh did instead. Lots of people are about the money. The public doesn't like but it's true. But it makes it worse when you pretend you're not about the money even when all your actions say otherwise.

Finally, he's worth the max. He is. And he deserves it. He's a gifted player. But he couldn't bring a team to the playoffs in the east (where there are usually two plus teams below 500) while lebron with a similar talent level team gave the GSW the fight of their lives in the NBA finals. So while he's a max player, it's clear that he's not a topping player who can carry a team. In contrast Russell Westbrook nearly dragged his team to the western conference playoffs. Prior to Dwight, harden brought the rockets to a 45 win season in the west. Chris Paul's teams are always in the playoffs. Lebron james teams are always in the playoffs. When he was alone, wades Miami teams were always in the playoffs (and when he got Shaw he won). Anthony Davis - playoffs. Dwight's teams always made the playoffs except when he was injured. Melo is great but like Kevin love right now. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have him on the rockets given the cap level rising, assuming it doesn't strip is of core assets, but he's not the shining star he once was.

9. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

SAS is a sycophant. He's the one being used and abused by Melo to report false news.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

First, I absolutely do not blame Melo for choosing extra money or bigger market or whatever over being on a more talented team. There is nothing morally wrong with it.

Second, what I do find annoying those is if he is indeed complaining about the direction of the team and claiming (through Stephen A. Smith) that he is deceived by Phil Jackson. Melo is a grown man, a grown man who knows a lot about the NBA represented by agents who also know a lot about the NBA. So, no matter what Jackson and the Knicks said to him, it's up to him and his people to make independent evaluations of what can happen in New York.

Phil Jackson is a very successful coach. But he is also a 1st time executive and does not have the magical properties that guarantee winning. There was always this risk that things can go wrong and the team will need to change their plans.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Melo calls Porzingis a steal and gets defensive with fans:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont think anyone blames him for doing this. It has nothing to do with morals (or ethics). I am not sure why this is even a discussion other than the couple of people who really think Melo is about winning. The Knicks have been a loser franchise for quite a while and full of incompetence.

If Melo was seriously joining Houston, then I would see an argument here. For now, he's staying in NYC. And with the Knicks front office, they wont be winning anytime soon.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, yeah, I just don't like him. I don't like him in a similar way I don't like Kobe, just less strongly. These are great scorers with enormous egos and ****ty personalities who don't really care about themselves more than the team.

I don't think many people blame him for wanting the money, wanting to play for his hometown team (although I'm not sure if that's really true), and even wanting the NYC perks. People sneer at him because he complains after willingly going into the situation. He is either too naive to think that he and/or Phil could turn the Knicks around in a short time (which no one believes) or he just complains to dissociate himself from the crappy situation he chose to enter.

14. stab

stab Member

I guess that $125 million he signed last year blinded him from the reality of what he's got with the Knicks

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is that really his account? I don't see those twitter posts at all

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Just because he got paid the max does not mean the following year they will be contenders. They sucked when they signed him and still do and always will.

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I think he did this on instagram.

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Not a fan of Carmelo, but it seems silly to blame Melo for prioritizing money over contending teams when, James Harden left Durant Westbrook Ibaka & OKC over the 4year/54-55 million contract offered versus the 4 year max of 60 million.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/10/27/3565346/james-harden-trade-thunder-contract

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ey-was-deciding-factor-in-leaving-okc-thunder

IMO harden did what was best for him, just like Melo did, and I won't put down either for acting in their own financial best interest.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Porzingis' brother, Janis, told <a href="https://twitter.com/alanhahn">@alanhahn</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/HDumpty39">@HDumpty39</a> that Melo reached out to Kristaps on Saturday &amp; they had a &quot;beautiful conversation.&quot;</p>&mdash; Ian Begley (@IanBegley) <a href="https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/615700063566827521">June 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>