1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo blames Linsanity for "selfish" label

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coban Hutton, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

This is correct. Exactly what I thought I read the article. I hate misleading titles like this, but Melo needs to learn that people will draw their own conclusions from his words and run with it. He isn't wrong...Dantoni is as much to blame as Melo. Just not a good fit.

2. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

yea cuz lebron and kobe can say they are the two best players in the world and they both have MVPs, Final MVPs, and oh btw NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS... melo would trade that NCAA championship for half of what lebron and kobe have.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

The selfish meme may have escalated with linsanity but people calling melo selfish started way before Lin was around. Melo's statement just makes him look dumb.

4. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Melo can kiss the whole Asian market goodbye. He's the most hated NBA player in China & Taiwan now.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

Is he really now because of the whole Lin thing..? I don't think he is. He is pretty popular overseas. Him and CP3 go to asia frequently to run camps and they seem to love him there.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

re the whole China & Taiwan thing. It's very interesting how Lin handles international play.
    Does he pass on it altogether? That may be the wisest thing. But wouldn't that alienate the Chinese market over time?
    If he plays for Taiwan, that's even more likely to alienate the market.
    Pass on Taiwan and play for China somehow?

There's an interesting dilemma in the future.

7. Alex L.

That was in the beginning, when he thought Lin was just a back up playing well for a couple of games. Right before Linsanity struck, the Knicks had lost 11 of the last 13 games, so it's natural that he cheered for Lin and the team. He would love to have Lin as a supporting cast, a sidekick, as long as Melo remained the centre of the universe. When it became apparent that Lin had become the fans favorite, he felt threatened.

Melo went to NY for the spotlight and to sell his Power Coco.

8. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

yea kind of lol.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Nah you are overreacting. It wasn't just the beginning. Even in the later games as well Melo was cheering him on. On the court there were no problems as is expected. But in the locker room there was probably tension.

10. Alex L.

You may be right, that I'm overreacting. I "overreact" to most things Melo says and does. I have zero tolerance for that guy. So much talent, yet so little personality.

11. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Power Coco... lol

12. roxxy

roxxy Member

Understandable. People feel like he drove Lin out of town. Which I don't think he did. I think Morey and Les played chess while the Knicks played checkers and were crafty in getting the guy they wanted. I do think that melo is happy that all this Linsanity talk and hype will quiet down in NY though. Lin can be Lin in houston and melo can be Melo in NY. But the issue now is that it is all on him. Dantoni is gone, he has the coach he really likes, Lin is gone, they have Kidd and Felton and a lot of other talented players. No more excuses right. The Knicks have a lot of talent on that team going in next year so now it is time for Melo to put up otherwise they will crucify him.

13. redlawn

redlawn Member

Forget Asia. Melo's looking like a donkey right here in the US.

14. conquistador#11

for somebody that swears on snitches get stitches, carmela has been doing a lot of yapping these past couple of years.

15. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

The problem for anthony is his inability or unwillingness to adapt to any offensive system which resembles team basketball. He doesn't have any skills aside from strict iso one on one. He won't change, so if that doesn't work, the knicks are in trouble.

But then again, knicks fans have suffered for so long, it'll just be more of the same, no?

16. Alex L.

It's not he can't, it's he won't. He does some of that in the Olympics where he's the backup.

As long as Melo prefers scoring to winning, the Knicks are not going far.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He is right. T-Mac was busted up. All the time.:rolleyes:

18. Nook

Nook Member

This is a joke, the label of Melo being a ball hog was around before Lin.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly. He is just adding another excuse to his career. Lin is the fall boy for his latest criticism. He is such a pathetic person when he acts this way, petty for the sake of selfishness.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the word 'selfish' gets in the way. Melo plays a style of ball that requires him touching the ball a lot.

I don't know anything about Melo off the court. I don't know if he always takes the last slicw of pizza, or if he will only go with his wife to a movie if its a movie that he wants to see.

Maybe he is a selfish person. Maybe not.

Calling him.a selfish player shouldn't necessarily include with it an indication of some sort of moral failure or personality flaw.

Calling him a selfish basketball player is not the same as calling him a bad person.