1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Melo blames Linsanity for "selfish" label

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coban Hutton, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

Carmelo Addresses Selfish Label, Says It Arose During Linsanity

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Selfish player making yet another selfish comment.

Douchebag is trying too hard to follow McGrady's footsteps.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think he's right. I was at the MSG for a game before Lin started playing (Knicks' loss to Milwaukee) and the whole arena was already groaning about Melo's selfish play.

4. prs325

prs325 Member

Well he's right. He just couldnt reintegrate himself in a way where they could continue to win. Otherwise, wheres TMac when you need to point the finger when everything goes wrong:/

5. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Screw Melo. It started from his Denver days. He just cant hack being a loser. Denver is better off without him and so was Knicks.

He is just jealous of Lin.

1 person likes this.
  6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Ha ...WTF .. people have been calling him selfish for year's :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  7. Dei

Dei Member

From what I heard, no animosity at all bet. him and Lin.

It's true, though, that Melo's been labeled selfish and one-dimensional since his Denver days. I think he's just ignorant about that fact. And Linsanity really did put a magnifying glass on it.

1 person likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's always been a selfish player. Trying to pin it on Lin just makes him look even worse.

The Knicks won't win anything with Melo as the best player on their roster. And frankly, it's hard to fit him into any championship team. He's a good scorer, but the offense MUST run through him, and in my opinion he's not quite good enough that you can let him ballhog all the time. He's a full tier below the top wings like LeBron, Wade, Durant, Kobe. That's why the Knicks suck right now--Melo can only play with the style of Durant, but he doesn't have Durant's ability level.

Maybe if the Knicks had Dwight Howard, and Dwight miraculously sprouted the passing ability of Brad Miller in his prime, then you could win a championship with the offense revolving around Melo. You'd need a center who does everything Melo doesn't--plays amazing defense, rebounds like a machine, cleans up Melo's misses, and generally covers for all the gaping holes in Melo's game.

But, since no player like that is going to be a Knick anytime soon, they're stuck. Enjoy the mediocrity treadmill, New York... you're going to regret building around that punk.

2 people like this.
  9. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

I wonder how Amare feels being put on the same level as the rookie Shumpert. That comment is even more revealing...

10. prs325

prs325 Member

Funny that the Rockets were trying to get Melo at one point, and Morey and co. would probably still consider if he were to demand a trade to Houston

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

This. During linsanity was the first time the media really pushed the Melo is selfish meme and it was said directly to Melo's face. Prior to Linsanity, when the Knicks were loosing people really started to doubt Melo. Called him selfish, said he wasn't the player that they thought he was, said he was overrated and all he can do is score, doesn't defend. When Linsanity started and the ball was moving and Lin was viewed as very unselfish it was like the polar opposite of Melo's style of play. It was then that the selfish drumbeat really blew up and it was then that it was said to Melo's face directly. Prior to that fans and the media were saying it quietly behind his back.

1 person likes this.
  12. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Nothing was wrong with McGrady except that he was injured, it happens.

13. AFS

AFS Member

Has Melo-drama been forgotten already?

14. ClKent

ClKent Member

Well its because you can see the play of Lin before Melo came back. Then Melo comes back and dominates the ball completely. In both situations? The one before is actually people hold against him where Lin was not around at all and Carmelo could not have a winning record. In fact the Knicks were dead in the water before Lin showed up.

15. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Why go for Linsanity when you can be Carmeloawesome? :grin:

16. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Is this idiot for real? The guy bailed on his coach and didn't try and they went on that 6 games losing streaks and screw up the chemistry and gotten the coach fire all in a span of 2 weeks. This guy is selfish alright. When Amare got injured again and he makes stupid comments sounding like now with Amare out of the way he's going to enjoy playing now because Amare won't be around to take away his shots.

17. redlawn

redlawn Member

Coming up next from NY:

Melo: "I told Dolan to match that ridiculous contract. "

Amare: "Lin told me to punch that fire extinguisher."

JR Smith: "I am not jealous Lin got paid."

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Stop trolling.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't remember the MSG crowd, or the NY tabloids, were very quiet about their Melo displeasure pre-Lin. There was plenty of loud jeers at the Knicks when I was at the MIL game. Also, I remember there was plenty of media reports comparing the Knicks record with Melo (barely .500) to Denver's better record without him.

20. ken819

ken819 New Member

[​IMG]
    Enough said...