1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Media] Grading The Rockets Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matador, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Matador

Matador Member

a thread to gather online media outlets grading of the Rocket's draft

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2013/06/28/grades-eastern-conference-utah-jazz-new-orleans-pelicans/2471137/

New face: No. 34 PG Isaiah Canaan

The Rockets had one draft selection and made a smart decision with it. Canaan is an ideal backup to Jeremy Lin: smaller, quicker and a better shooter. He easily could have went 10 spots higher. This isn't a home run, but it's the right move for the right team and a good example of making a logical decision. Having only a second-rounder allows Houston to keep cap space open for free agency, too.

Grade: A-

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/nba_draft_2013_grading_all_30_teams.html

Houston Rockets

With their only pick in the draft, the Rockets selected point guard Isaiah Canaan out of Murray State early in the second round.

Canaan was one of the nation’s top scorers last season but was also prone to turning the ball over. He figures to play a role off the bench but has potential to be a big scorer. Since the Rockets expect to be players in the Dwight Howard sweepstakes, a cheap option like Canaan was a safe move to make.

Grade: C

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1685883-2013-nba-draft-grades-team-by-team-report-cards/page/12

Overall Grade: C+

No. 34: Isaiah Canaan, PG, Murray State

A small point guard out of Murray State, Isaiah Canaan will have his work cut out for him to earn much playing time for the Houston Rockets.

The team figures to retain both Jeremy Lin and Patrick Beverley, which will make it awfully difficult for the former Racer to make any noise during his rookie season.

Canaan has the offensive game to stick in a rotation, but he'll have to get the playing time first. This was a strange pick for that reason, as Houston could have used this spot to draft a player who could capably back up James Harden.

The Murray State product isn't going to be a standout at the 1, meaning that the Rockets have added yet another mid-level point guard

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/draft-2013/tracker/#teams/rockets

Isaiah Canaan PG Murray State Grade 7.0

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/draft;_ylt=AlyfYuzspVaRBkwiZ..iFvzPgq9_?round=2

Jeff Eisenberg's Analysis: Isaiah Canaan's reward for returning to school for his senior season was missing the NCAA tournament at Murray State, falling out of the first round and getting selected during a commercial break. Tough break for a combo guard who will have to prove he has point guard skills to complement the deep range and ability to finish at the rim he showcased regularly at Murray State.

http://www.csnhouston.com/basketball-houston-rockets/talk/2013-nba-draft-second-round-analysis

34. Houston Rockets: Isaiah Canaan, PG, Murray State

The Rockets were winners in this draft and only had one pick. Canaan is a scoring guard who should have gone in the first round. He is undersized, but his confident demeanor and shooting stroke will win over Houston fans immediately.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/6/27/4468454/nba-draft-2013-houston-rockets-isaiah-canaan-results

The Houston Rockets opted for a very talented scorer with their first selection in the NBA Draft, picking Isaiah Canaan with the fourth pick in the second round.

The Houston Rockets selected Murray State point guard Isaiah Canaan with the No. 33 pick in this year's NBA Draft on Thursday night. An explosive scorer at the college level, the 22-year-old's game is all about getting buckets.

Some saw Canaan as a first-round pick, but the majority of those scouting the Racers star saw him as a second-rounder, where guys who put up gaudy numbers at smaller schools tend to fall. He's the Rockets' first selection of the evening, as the team dealt away their first-round pick.

He may not be Damian Lillard, but Canaan could be the next high-scoring point guard from a mid-level college program to find his place in the NBA. Asked to be the focal point of Murray State's offense throughout his senior season, Canaan came through with solid numbers despite eschewing his point-guard duties at times.

One of the nation's top scorers, he averaged 21.8 points per game on 43 percent during last season as the focal point of the offense. He turned the ball over nearly as often as he recorded an assist (4.3 assists, 3.2 turnovers per contest), leading to concerns that he'll simply be an undersized bench scorer at the next level. If anything helps him, it's his shooting ability, as he took over eight three-pointers per game last season and knocked down 37 percent of them.

It's tough to see Canaan fitting in on the Rockets, considering they already have a pair of high-volume scoring guards in James Harden and Jeremy Lin. But as they try to save cap space to acquire Dwight Howard, a non-guaranteed contract like Canaan is more valuable than some of the players on the Rockets now.

3 people like this.
  2. OTMax

OTMax Member

While I agree we could've used a back-up for Harden more, Morey clearly did not like any SGs that were available, even Glen Rice Jr. who I personally would've loved to see as a Rockets. Also Canaan is not really a PG, more a small SG so in reality we picked probably the best available and a position you do need a third one in case another goes down.

3. fattz

fattz Member

/\ /\ I two would have liked to seen GR Jr. I think we took Canaan so we can trade Lin to the 76ers and the they had the next pick after us. They trade away their starting all-star point guard and picked up Michael Carter-Williams out of Syracuse but most team won't let a rookie run the team. Just my thoughts.

4. treeman

treeman Member

I see this guy as more of an undersized SG than a PG. I think he sees time while Harden is sitting.

5. Raven

Raven Member

He'll look good in Summer League, and Morey will trade him for another asset. ;)

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

This pick was based on how well he screened in Morey's quant algo.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ford

HOUSTON ROCKETS | GRADE: B+

Round 1: None
    Round 2: Isaiah Canaan (34)

Analysis: The Rockets also didn't have a first-round pick but essentially got one anyway at No. 34. Canaan might have been the fourth-best point guard in the draft, and I think Houston got great value. Canaan isn't a pure point guard, but he's a great athlete and a dominant scorer who can really shoot the ball. Not a lot of second-rounders stick in the NBA. I think Canaan will be one who does.

8. Chamillionaire

I think he'll stick around too, especially with Murray's track record. :grin:

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I like Canaan from the highlights I've seen so far.

Reminiscent to a slightly better shooting more athletic Kyle Lowry guard, imo.

His turnover issues must be addressed first and foremost, once he gets that under control the sky's the limit for him. Great confidence and demeanor I like that about him, helps his chances of succeeding.

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Makes sense Murray would draft a Murray State grad

11. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Sounds like the opinions from the media are all over the board with this guy. I have to say, though, getting a scoring PG with Canaan's skill set at that point in the draft has to at least warrant a solid B. I think the boys upstairs did well last night with our only pick.

1 person likes this.
  12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Strong, Quick, Good Finisher, Great Shooter off the bounce or spot up, Nice Hops, Long Arms, Leader

Sounds good to me.

13. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

can he play Defense. how good is he on Def.?

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Morey made a second-round pick?? Future All-Star. :)

15. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

In college, it was average I guess. Obviously put more effort into his offense due to being 1st option.

Glen Rice Jr. Isn't even on the 76ers. He got traded to Washington.

Morey said Canaan would dominate the D-League, which I think he'll have no problem doing. Maybe a mid-season call up that makes a late push for an All-Rookie team lol.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That's what SHE said. :eek::p;):eek::grin::confused::cool:

17. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

18. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

World B. Free

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I feel like Morey can find a veteran back up for Harden in FA easy. i.e. Delfino, James Anderson, etc... I like using the draft to take chances on unknowns for home runs.

20. yunac010

yunac010 Member

If Canaan does get playing time under McHale in his rookie season, I see him playing backup to Harden and sharing the court with Lin/Bev.

He kind of reminds me of Lowry in a way.