1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Media Center PC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pgsxdjp, Mar 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Anyone use one? I've been wanting to convert a PC I have to one for DVR purposes and I also like the idea of playing files and browsing on a TV. Do you run your cable box through your computer via coaxial cable and run your PC to TV? And what cards do you actually need, Video/Audio/Tuner? Any help would be necessary. I've been reading online and it only seems to get more and more complicated...

2. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Wrong forum. Also, Mac Mini + eyeTV = <3

3. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Please move. Sorry the heinous LBJ block on J-Rich confused me :D

4. MykTek

MykTek Member

I work for SnapStream Media here locally, we create Beyond TV, which is an alternative to MCE. just a fyi.

5. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

well i use windows media center, all u need is a tv tuner, and an antenna, or cable..,it works for me, except all i get is local channel (cuz i dont have a cable card)...im able to record shows so its nice

6. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I just got one but haven't had the time to play with it yet. I hope to get the chance this weekend.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

what tuner are you using. i'm contemplating getting one for a good price and actually works. alot of them are expensive.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Or just get a PS3 :p

9. tracymac

tracymac Member

I actually have both..The ps3 just wasn't enough with all the online media..Plus no DVR available in the US, its only in Europe..

I actually use visiontek's tv wonder dual tuner...Records hd over the air...havent really used the analog tuner since i cancelled my cable soon as I bought the tuner...Windows media center in Windows 7 has worked flawlessly for me...Every other media center I tried was nothing but problems...

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

When I didn't have u-verse or DVR at all, I used my Media Center PC I bought through Dell. It's got an Angel II TV Tuner card that came with the machine. I didn't have to purchase anything since it all came bundled. I know there's an alternate program to DVR and it gets the guide, too, but I have to check on that tomorrow (it's late and I just got back from an awards ceremony :eek: ).
    WHOA. Explain this one. I have u-verse and... you say I can DVR stuff onto the PS3? :confused: How?

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My HP came with a TV tuner card. It's great to watch TV on your PC because you can browse the net during commercials and Windows Media is decent as a DVR. We switched to U-Verse in October and it works just as well.

No TV is involved. Your PC monitor is the TV, which is just another Windows application that you can either maximize or re-size on your screen.

I will never have a TV in my office besides my PC. Eventually I'm gonna splurge for a bigger monitor than my 22" Flatron LG.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Oh hell if I know, I guess I thought it was just syncing up a Media Center like you can do with Windows and your PS3.

:eek:

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

hmmm... you mean like a Windows Media Server thingiemajig? Yeah, I might be able to play those dvr-ms files... you're on to something. :eek:

15. magman

magman Member

My hp laptop has an hdmi connection, and I use XBMC which plays all my files, and looks great. Oh and it's free.

[​IMG]

I'm enjoying all the 1080p bliss

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I've been a BeyondTV user for years. Very reliable and easy to use. Install a 30 trial on your PC in 15 minutes ...assuming you have a capture card already.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have U-Verse and use Windows Media Center. Dumb question: If I install BeyondTV, will it interfere with Windows Media Center? Will both programs be able to (non-simultaneously) use the capture card that came installed on my PC without affecting each?

I want to try out BeyondTV because it looks promising, but I don't want Windows Media Center to be affected.

18. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I think you can both of them installed at the same time but only one of them can be running at the same time. So if you just want to test it out, be sure WMC is completely turned off before installing BTV. If MC runs as a service in the background, be sure it's turned off there.

I've never used Media Center so I don't know all the details but all these apps hold onto the hardware at a pretty low level so I'm fairly sure you can't have both of the running at the same time even if only one of them is actually using the card at any given time.

Regarding U-Verse, I think there are a couple tricks to make it work but I don't know personally. If you search their forums, I'm sure there is plenty a

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/