1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meat eaters vs plant eaters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, Aug 23, 2011.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It's about 25 minutes per pound at 220 degrees C for a human to burn alive. Mind you lobsters have exoskeletons made of chitin, not skin.

And the hypothesis stating they don't feel pain is BS. While they possess several ganglia and no nocioceptors its pretty easy to tell if an animal feels pain, an unpleasant feeling experienced to ensure the success of a species. This is usually seen by behavioral patterns. If the lobster squirms more and acts uncomfortable in the boiling water as I imagine it would, it is experiencing something telling it that it is in a situation disfavorable to its survival.
    The boiling method is illegal in some places, such as in Reggio Emilia, Italy, where offenders face fines of up to €495.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

My feeling about it is that, though I drank my mother's milk, I wouldn't drink your mother's milk, so why would I drink a cow's milk? It's just gross to me anymore.

3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

luv vegans as long as they don't try to convert me.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah but moms boobs don't make cheese and butter. I don't understand the ethical or health reasons for completely avoiding dairy, honey, or any animal product.

5. liljojo

liljojo Member

It's to obtain vegan powers

[​IMG]

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

My personal issue with it isn't ethical or to do with health, I'm just grossed out by it.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't mean to sound like I am picking on you, but are you grossed out by anything made with dairy or is it just the products by themselves? and are you grossed out by honey too?

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I'm grossed out by plants because they eat the poo that comes from cow anuses..

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Mmm... vegan steak.

[​IMG]

10. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

1. a vegetarian diet can be just as bad as any diet. any unstructured diet can be bad.

2. unless you buy organic produce from local farms, chances are the veg you are eating wasn't grown with "ethics" in mind (insecticide, fertilizers...)

3. in certain religions, it is wrong to "kill" a plant to eat it. moral relativity-ish?

4. animal protein CANNOT be matched!

with that said, i cannot kill an animal, but i have no problems eating one. :p

11. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

...and processed meat/dairy alternatives? blechhhhhhhhhhhhh all day long!

12. HombreDeHierro

everything in moderation...

no other way

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

1. Vegetarian diets are usually pretty structured from what I know.

2. Yes excessive use of fertilizers is a major issue that can destroy ecosystems.

3. Many plants produce fruit with seeds or only seed that is eaten. It is meant to be eaten in order for the plant to reproduce. With other plants we eat their leaves, stems, or roots. Plants don't feel pain.

4. Yes it can be matched with whey protein. I know it is dairy, but it is not protein from the muscle of the animal.

14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Probably is better than factory farming, but think there can also be some issues though. Random Wiki article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_effects_of_meat_production
    Environmental issues with meat production in general:
    (again, just taking stuff from Wikipedia, so feel free to call this BS and provide resources with better researched conclusions)

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I love meat. As for morality of eating meat...I mean this is how the world works.

Had the T-rex suddenly popped back up I'm sure it would have eaten a few humans and not cared for how 'intelligent' they were. Just like if a someone is caught in the water with a great white around, it may just take a bite.

As for how healthy eating meat, it is healthy in moderation. A lot of the best athletes have meat in their diets. Pretty sure most do.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Isn't the concept of pain subjective? Every living thing attempts to avoid death. I thought most people considered that only animals that exhibited human-like emotions were able to feel pain.

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

LOL...once we loose power (electricity) all vegans will turn back to meat eaters. Mark my words.

18. SacTown

SacTown Member

I'm also grossed out by cows milk and cheese. I eat chicken, fish, eggs, and vegetables & brown rice. That's about it.

19. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

20. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

1. I worked at restaurants that often catered to vegetarians and I can say no they are not always structured.

4. I also consider whey an animal protein. An when we get into vegans who don't even eat animal products...