1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Meat eaters vs plant eaters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

There's a video in youtube where you kill the lobster faster by slicing vertically through its head. Shuts down the nervous system and instant death.

I'd find it and embed it here but I don't feel like going through all that death again.

2. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Moderation keeps you healthy. Extremeness makes you sick.

So after my 5K run, grill my Ribeye to medium rare, smother that baked potato with Miracle Whip, refill my glass with fresh veggie juice and keep that banana split on ice!

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

kind of a pointless 5k run right there. you are eating up any calories burned with a ribeye and smothered baked potatoes.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Please tell me more!!!

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I really hope you don't think you burned that many calories by running 3 miles.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Aren't there vegan supplements?

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

lol...same thing i was thinking.

steak can be healthy, but it better be a lean cut of filet or sirloin with no added fats. potatoes, grilled with some paprika and salt.

8. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nz4etAin564" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm curious...

For those of you saying that a "no-meat" diet is less healthy, what is the evidence/reasoning for it? I've always seen the opposite (i.e., vegetarian diet is healthier than meat-eating diet...though fish-only diet is a little different I admit IIRC). Not to mention my doctor seemed supportive of my diet change. Might have misunderstood him, although "I think a vegetarian lifestyle is a healthier lifestyle," is a little difficult to misunderstand. I admit I've kind of half-assed my research in this area, but partly because it seemed pretty conclusive. See Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism

If this isn't true, I'd be interested in reading why. Wasn't the sole reason, but a "healthier lifestyle" was one of the stronger factors that persuaded me to give this diet a try. Much easier to follow that type of argument than the moral/ethical ones, as evidenced by some of the points mentioned in this thread. Not saying you can't make a good argument for going vegetarian/vegan based solely on ethical/moral reasons, but it is difficult...and likely unnecessary. Think I find myself still eating eggs, cheese, and drinking milk, despite the ethical problems (which do bother me), because it seems healthier to keep that going than to drop it.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

My B supplements are vegan. I'm not sure if there are vegan Omega 3 supplements, but I don't really care. I wear leather and on occasion I eat honey. I don't pretend to lead anything near a cruelty-free lifestyle so why front with the vitamins is my feeling about it. It's the eating of the stuff, the chewing and swallowing of it, that bothers me most. Given an easy choice of course I'd prefer to be cruelty-free (not to mention to leave a carbon footprint of zero), but though I do love animals, their rights are not the cause of my life. Nor is any other ethical imperative. I have too much work to do on myself just now.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't think the issue is eating meat as much as it is the completely disgusting and inhumane treatment of the animals raised for slaughter.

#71 robbie380, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I try to make an effort to only by free range animals that are fed natural diets. We do the same for our dairy and eggs. It's more expensive, but I feel better about what I eat, and it does taste better.

Now, if the government got its grubby hands out of subsidizing so much farm policy, the price difference wouldn't be so extreme. However, that is a lobby that will stymie almost any change to their beloved policies.

And screw Iowa and screw corn.

1 person likes this.
  13. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Good grief you two (DonnyMost).

Do you really think that a 5k is all I do, daily? Do you really think I eat a steak every night?

The point is that I do and eat what I want. As long as I keep everything in balance, life is good for me.

14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

True. Guess I'll admit that I haven't done a lot of research on this topic, but I've always gotten the impression that we subsidize the wrong stuff (guess it is debatable whether we should subsidize anything). IIRC, they often feed livestock corn just because it is cheaper to do so. Unfortunately, it isn't healthier for the animal...and sick animals don't lead to good eating.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is terrible for the environment. Why spend so much land and resources (food, water) for raising an animal that you will kill?

Why not just not eat meat?

16. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Eh, don't care. I eat what tastes good and I really don't give a flying crap how an animal feels.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a vegetarian. I do like some vegetarian dishes.

But I only like them when they are made from fresh veggies, and are supposed to be the veggies they really are. There are plenty of good salads, beans and rice dishes, pasta primavera dishes and the like that taste fine.

What I can't stand are things like veggie burgers, tofurkey, veggie dogs and things like that. To me they just taste bad, and I think that if I was going to be a vegetarian I would eat vegetables that are supposed to be vegetables.

Maybe after a long time if I really missed eating a hamburger, a soy-burger might satisfy some kind of need, but it's hard for me to see it. I won't say for sure until I've walked a mile in the vegetarian's shoes.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Land being used to ethically raise animals is great use for the land. Cattle trim the grass and weeds. They also fertilize and spread seeds around too. I would rather the land be used for ethically raising animals than for something like a strip mall.

Eating meat is natural for humans, and so I eat meat.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol i hope you don't have pets

1 person likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the point of going vegan.